Schiit Magni 2 (uber) to Xonar DG bad idea?
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zhoken

New Head-Fier
Heya All,

I recently picked up a used magni 2 uber and I'm running it through my Xonar DG as a dac, but I know that it has a headphone amp on the front-in, so I'm wondering if this is a bad idea due to double amping? I can pick up a used DX locally for cheap, but I'm wondering if it's really a problem or if there is a way to avoid the double amping.

This combo is powering my dt990 600 ohms.

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 6
Disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.
Try the Unified Xonar drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Set the Xonar DG to 2-channel & Speaker output (not Headphone out), that will feed the best signal to an external headphone amplifier.
(max out the DG's volume control)

The Xonar DX does have a better DAC chip, then the DG.
If the used Xonar DX sells for under $50, I would replace the DG.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.
Try the Unified Xonar drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Set the Xonar DG to 2-channel & Speaker output (not Headphone out), that will feed the best signal to an external headphone amplifier.

The Xonar DX does have a better DAC chip, then the DG.
If the used Xonar DX sells for under $50, I would replace the DG.

Thanks for the reply PurpleAngel, I can get a DX for 30$ CAD so if it has a better DAC then it's kind of a no brainer I suppose.

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 6
I recently picked up a used magni 2 uber and I'm running it through my Xonar DG as a dac, but I know that it has a headphone amp on the front-in, so I'm wondering if this is a bad idea due to double amping? I can pick up a used DX locally for cheap, but I'm wondering if it's really a problem or if there is a way to avoid the double amping.

ASUS_XONAR_DG_Xonar_DG_Sound_Card_751844.jpg

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the reply PurpleAngel, I can get a DX for 30$ CAD so if it has a better DAC then it's kind of a no brainer I suppose.
How much real world difference the DX will make over the DG is not something I can say for sure.
But a DX for only 30 CAD is a real bargain (I would go for it).

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 6
How much real world difference the DX will make over the DG is not something I can say for sure.
But a DX for only 30 CAD is a real bargain (I would go for it).

So I picked up and installed the DX and indeed the difference is marginal. It's nice not to have to worry about double amping and the distortion that might cause, and I've made use of the DG in another system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back