Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #1,246 of 1,331
I have my heating set to 73 and that's just a step below warm for me lol. The combination gets real toasty for me, especially in the middle with the heat of the Bifrost rising and the Lyr just being a warm amp in general. The fan works great with the chassis of both now feeling cool to the touch
The Lyr+ is should not be that warm. It's barely above body temperature when I touch it.
My first Lyr+ was hot af just before dying out of the blue. Be careful if the Lyr+ start to get very hot. I'm not the first user to have a toasty Lyr+ that die.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #1,247 of 1,331
The Lyr+ is should not be that warm. It's barely above body temperature when I touch it.
My first Lyr+ was hot af just before dying out of the blue. Be careful if the Lyr+ start to get very hot. I'm not the first user to have a toasty Lyr+ that die.
Guys, relax. It's not HOT and by itself it doesn't get that warm. It was lukewarm with the Modius because the Modius stays cool. The Bifrost 2/64 gets much warmer as was the case with the OG Bifrost and it tends to radiate off the top. I wish they'd use the chassis with holes on the side like the Lyr+. Even just turned on without being in use the Bifrost is somewhat warm and heats up when you're actually using it. I sold my OG Bifrost 2 that got just as warm and another Head fi member is still using it 2 years later, it gets toasty. The small fan is a precaution and both products are now cold to the touch while they're in use. If I put them side to side there would be zero concern

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #1,248 of 1,331
Guys, relax. It's not HOT and by itself it doesn't get that warm. It was lukewarm with the Modius because the Modius stays cool. The Bifrost 2/64 gets much warmer as was the case with the OG Bifrost and it tends to radiate off the top. I wish they'd use the chassis with holes on the side like the Lyr+. Even just turned on without being in use the Bifrost is somewhat warm and heats up when you're actually using it. I sold my OG Bifrost 2 that got just as warm and another Head fi member is still using it 2 years later, it gets toasty. The small fan is a precaution and both products are now cold to the touch while they're in use. If I put them side to side there would be zero concern
It's a heatsink... it's supposed to get warm, i'd worry if it didn't. :wink: It's warm cause your internals are cooler.

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #1,249 of 1,331
Hey everybody,

Received my new Lyr+ yesterday:
PXL-20240218-230543085.jpg

Few things to note:
I did not receive the cover or the remote. I contacted the support, waiting for an answer, but just to make sure, that should be part of the package right?

Regarding the "click", it does not happen all the time, but I have noticed that sometimes it clicks when I change what I'm listening to: For example let's say I'm listening to a video on youtube, I would stop it and start a FLAC song in my favorite audio player, the click would happen right there. If I stop the song and start again the youtube video it would click again. I can't reproduce it all the time, like right now it does not do that. I just hope I don't have a defected unit...

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #1,250 of 1,331
Hey everybody,

Received my new Lyr+ yesterday:
PXL-20240218-230543085.jpg

Few things to note:
I did not receive the cover or the remote. I contacted the support, waiting for an answer, but just to make sure, that should be part of the package right?

Regarding the "click", it does not happen all the time, but I have noticed that sometimes it clicks when I change what I'm listening to: For example let's say I'm listening to a video on youtube, I would stop it and start a FLAC song in my favorite audio player, the click would happen right there. If I stop the song and start again the youtube video it would click again. I can't reproduce it all the time, like right now it does not do that. I just hope I don't have a defected unit...
The Bifrost clicks when it changes bits, not the Lyr+. The Lyr clicks after initial startup to indicate it's ready to go, and when changing sound mode

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #1,251 of 1,331
The Bifrost clicks when it changes bits, not the Lyr+. The Lyr clicks after initial startup to indicate it's ready to go, and when changing sound mode
Yeah that makes sense. It's hard to tell if the click comes from the Bifrost or the Lyr+. It's very weird because it does not do it anymore, and also I never experienced that before with the Bifrost, which I have been using for 2+ years

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #1,252 of 1,331
Yeah that makes sense. It's hard to tell if the click comes from the Bifrost or the Lyr+. It's very weird because it does not do it anymore, and also I never experienced that before with the Bifrost, which I have been using for 2+ years
Have you recently changed your listening source? I went from Deezer to Qobuz which changed bits all the time, lots of clicking!

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,254 of 1,331

I would say this is accurate. My Lyr+ takes maybe about an hour sitting on top of my BF2 in a room between 71-72ºF to start to get pretty warm, at which point I prefer to turn on the fan. One tiny fan running at a very low setting on the side of the Lyr+ is enough to bring it down to a near-ambient temperature within minutes.

As you said it's a precaution. I already sent one unit back because it cooked itself, and after so many similar stories in this thread, I'd rather not take chances.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,255 of 1,331
I would say this is accurate. My Lyr+ takes maybe about an hour sitting on top of my BF2 in a room between 71-72ºF to start to get pretty warm, at which point I prefer to turn on the fan. One tiny fan running at a very low setting on the side of the Lyr+ is enough to bring it down to a near-ambient temperature within minutes.

As you said it's a precaution. I already sent one unit back because it cooked itself, and after so many similar stories in this thread, I'd rather not take chances.
Yup! I just turn the fan on and off along with the Lyr and both chassis actually feel cool to the touch even while they're running. Nice peace of mind and the fan itself is dead silent

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #1,256 of 1,331
The Lyr+ I ordered from Schiit two days ago is being delivered today. This will be my first "tube anything" and liked the option of tube or solid state on the fly.

Tbh, I only came across this thread minutes ago and will begin to read thru it. I currently have a Modi/Magni hooked up between a couple of desktop computers and some powered Kanto speakers. The other day I was cleaning out some boxed up electronics and came across my old Cambridge DACMagic (the model before the Plus version) and that was the reason for buying the Lyr+ to try with it. However, if anyone knows the DACMagic they're also aware of the giant wall wart power supply.

So now I'm wondering about replacing the DAC power supply (12V 1500mA AC unit) OR just simply buying a new DAC to use with Lyr+. Sure, I could get another Schiit DAC (Midgard? Bitfrost?) but perhaps there's something 'better' that pairs with Lyr+ some people can recommend.

TIA

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #1,257 of 1,331
The Lyr+ I ordered from Schiit two days ago is being delivered today. This will be my first "tube anything" and liked the option of tube or solid state on the fly.

Tbh, I only came across this thread minutes ago and will begin to read thru it. I currently have a Modi/Magni hooked up between a couple of desktop computers and some powered Kanto speakers. The other day I was cleaning out some boxed up electronics and came across my old Cambridge DACMagic (the model before the Plus version) and that was the reason for buying the Lyr+ to try with it. However, if anyone knows the DACMagic they're also aware of the giant wall wart power supply.

So now I'm wondering about replacing the DAC power supply (12V 1500mA AC unit) OR just simply buying a new DAC to use with Lyr+. Sure, I could get another Schiit DAC (Midgard? Bitfrost?) but perhaps there's something 'better' that pairs with Lyr+ some people can recommend.

TIA
Midgard is an amp not a DAC

The answer is Bifrost 2/64. You'll either thank me due to pure audio bliss or curse my name due to you being unable to willingly leave your audio set up

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #1,258 of 1,331
You'll either thank me due to pure audio bliss or curse my name due to you being unable to willingly leave your audio set up
Can confirm, 2/64 owner and aspiring Lyr+ owner. Sounds amazing on my Vali, sure it sounds unbelievable on the Lyr.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #1,259 of 1,331
IMG_2523.jpeg

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #1,260 of 1,331
Midgard is an amp not a DAC

The answer is Bifrost 2/64.
oops! I had Midgard on the brain for something else. I meant Modi Multibit or the Bifrost.

oh, and the Lyr+ package was sitting on the table when I got home today. I was very surprised by the weight of the box. Hope will get a chance to listen to over the next couple of days. Will use the DACMagic for now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back