Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #857 of 1,331
So here let me show you how it's done: I'll stick with Schitt. I'd rather complain to/ at Stoddard and company than send more of my money to China by directly purchasing such gear. I don't care who designed it or what brand name they have on it. I'll stick with American. And despite this post I've no doubt in my mind at all that I have the amp that I want. And if I decide to make a change, I'm going the other direction (i.e. McIntosh) not some cheap device I can buy at Target.
As a Canadian, I also prefer buying North American made/assembled gear but for very different reasons - for me, it is all about the quality of customer service should there be any issues with a product during the warranty period.

Most of this advantage is a consequence of the physical proximity in case products need to be shipped back to the mothership. Another advantage is the lack of language barrier when it comes to communicating to the company.

This is a why transparency and frequent and clear communication is absolutely essential to ensure that this reputation remains intact. Had there been more of this specifically in this thread from Schiit about the issues that people seem to be experiencing with their Lyr+ amps, it would have left absolutely no space for speculation and trepidation by anyone.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #858 of 1,331
As a Canadian, I also prefer buying North American made/assembled gear but for very different reasons - for me, it is all about the quality of customer service should there be any issues with a product during the warranty period.
My reasons are mostly political - the CCP steals billions in intellectual property from America and other countries every year. I choose not to reward that kind of behavior when I can help it.

It's not so much America...in fact, my primary amp is technically Australian, my home speakers German, and some other cans I use British. For me it's mostly the CCP I don't like. Plenty of nice Chinese people in the world, and plenty to learn from their history.

But I won't be surprised if Monoprice dropped the price to clear stock ahead of a new 6SN7 offering that looks surprisingly similar to Schiit's.

Best I can do is not directly fund it with my purchases. But to each his/ her own, though we reap what we sow.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #859 of 1,331

Most of this advantage is a consequence of the physical proximity in case products need to be shipped back to the mothership. Another advantage is the lack of language barrier when it comes to communicating to the company.

This is a why transparency and frequent and clear communication is absolutely essential to ensure that this reputation remains intact. Had there been more of this specifically in this thread from Schiit about the issues that people seem to be experiencing with their Lyr+ amps, it would have left absolutely no space for speculation and trepidation by anyone.

Many American companies outsource their customer service to other countries, which can still cause language barrier issues.

Not saying Schiit does that (they don't), but that's just an example of why the issue of domestic versus foreign is more nuanced.

My reasons are mostly political - the CCP steals billions in intellectual property from America and other countries every year. I choose not to reward that kind of behavior when I can help it.

It's not so much America...in fact, my primary amp is technically Australian, my home speakers German, and some other cans I use British. For me it's mostly the CCP I don't like. Plenty of nice Chinese people in the world, and plenty to learn from their history.

But I won't be surprised if Monoprice dropped the price to clear stock ahead of a new 6SN7 offering that looks surprisingly similar to Schiit's.

Best I can do is not directly fund it with my purchases. But to each his/ her own, though we reap what we sow.

Do like two seconds of research, man. The Liquid Platinum was designed by Alex Cavalli, a man that lives in Texas. Monoprice didn't steal anything, and you're literally assuming they would just because they manufacture in China.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #860 of 1,331
I have sent back my 3rd Lyr + for which I am now getting a refund for and I am awaiting my delivery for the Lyr 3 which I got used on Ebay. I am putting in the Sylvania VT231 Bad Boy tube once I get that amp and never touching it again because I am scared something will happen.

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #861 of 1,331
I have sent back my 3rd Lyr + for which I am now getting a refund for and I am awaiting my delivery for the Lyr 3 which I got used on Ebay. I am putting in the Sylvania VT231 Bad Boy tube once I get that amp and never touching it again because I am scared something will happen.
Although I'm happy with my repaired unit and havent had any issues at all since getting it back, I am curious to hear how the 3 compares, specifically so I can translate how a good lyr 3 tube will sound like on the + and vice versa

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #862 of 1,331
Although I'm happy with my repaired unit and havent had any issues at all since getting it back, I am curious to hear how the 3 compares, specifically so I can translate how a good lyr 3 tube will sound like on the + and vice versa
I think its the same in terms of sound quality as all the specs align with the + version but the only difference is that the Lyr 3 comes with a built in DAC (which I wont be using) but I will post my impressions upon receiving the unit.

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #863 of 1,331
I never had an issue with Lyr 3 (the predecessor to 3+), even when using a 6J5+6J5 —> 6SN7 adapter. I even opened up (😳) Lyr 3 to put in a SR Purple fuse: no problem. I can only surmise that the binary operating mode (SS or tube) of Lyr 3+ requires circuit complexity which makes Lyr 3+ prone to ‘snafu’ 🤷🏻‍♂️. EDIT: I sold Lyr 3 to partially fund purchase of Icon Audio HP8 Signature.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #864 of 1,331
I never had an issue with Lyr 3 (the predecessor to 3+), even when using a 6J5+6J5 —> 6SN7 adapter. I even opened up (😳) Lyr 3 to put in a SR Purple fuse: no problem. I can only surmise that the binary operating mode (SS or tube) of Lyr 3+ requires circuit complexity which makes Lyr 3+ prone to ‘snafu’ 🤷🏻‍♂️. EDIT: I sold Lyr 3 to partially fund purchase of Icon Audio HP8 Signature.
Does the Lyr 3 even have an SS mode? I cannot see anything relating to such a mode in the user manual.

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/lyr_3_manual_1_0.pdf

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #865 of 1,331
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #866 of 1,331
Mar 27, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #867 of 1,331
In Lyr 3, there is no button reset involved in changing from a VT to a LISST.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #869 of 1,331
Just got my Lyr+ back from repairs.. all I can say is wow. I forgot how good it made everything sound. Just plugged in a new tube (PSVane CV-181T mk2) and it is simply magical. What a wonderful detailed but analog sound! Still need to burn it in and get rid of a slight hiss/hum but I am quite impressed and will do my best to stick with this amp. The sound quality for the money is nothing short of breath taking. My DX7 will continue to serve as my DAC and now, all is right with my audio setup once more :)

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #870 of 1,331
Just got my Lyr+ back from repairs.. all I can say is wow. I forgot how good it made everything sound. Just plugged in a new tube (PSVane CV-181T mk2) and it is simply magical. What a wonderful detailed but analog sound! Still need to burn it in and get rid of a slight hiss/hum but I am quite impressed and will do my best to stick with this amp. The sound quality for the money is nothing short of breath taking. My DX7 will continue to serve as my DAC and now, all is right with my audio setup once more :)

Glad you got it back! Here's to many years of future enjoyment. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back