Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #841 of 1,331
Schiit have accepted my return for my 3rd faulty unit and I will get the Lyr 3 instead as the build quality is better from what I have heard.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #842 of 1,331
Schiit have accepted my return for my 3rd faulty unit and I will get the Lyr 3 instead as the build quality is better from what I have heard.
That’s crazy. How quickly did your units fail between getting them back each time? My unit is out for a repair as well and I’m really struggling being without it. My backup amp (dx7 pro) is leaving me utterly dissatisfied after my ears have gotten used to the lyr+..

Once you get the Lyr3, I’d love to know how it compares.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #843 of 1,331
That’s crazy. How quickly did your units fail between getting them back each time? My unit is out for a repair as well and I’m really struggling being without it. My backup amp (dx7 pro) is leaving me utterly dissatisfied after my ears have gotten used to the lyr+..

Well when my first 2 units failed, they sent me a replacement unit once I confirmed I shipped the faulty unit back to them so I didn't have to wait for them to repair it. Luckily my main amp is the Cayin HA-3A which I use with the LCD 4 and I was only using the Lr + for gaming/light listening with the 800S as it gave me the best soundstage with the Sylvania VT231 bad boy tube. Once I get the Lyr 3 I am putting that tube in and just leaving it this time to eliminate any issues as my 3 units failed once I started to tube roll.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #844 of 1,331

I had the same problem when my Lyr+ was getting fixed. My SS amp is pretty decent and synergizes well with the Arya SE, but it still wasn't nearly as good. And I didn't even want to listen to my Auteur without the Lyr.

From the day I shipped mine off it was 15 days to when it arrived back. Most of the waiting is from FedEx, the actual repair only took like two days.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #845 of 1,331
I had the same problem when my Lyr+ was getting fixed. My SS amp is pretty decent and synergizes well with the Arya SE, but it still wasn't nearly as good. And I didn't even want to listen to my Auteur without the Lyr.

From the day I shipped mine off it was 15 days to when it arrived back. Most of the waiting is from FedEx, the actual repair only took like two days.
Good to know. Thanks! Yeah.. I literally stopped listening to music as soon as I lost my amp. Everything just sounds dead, flat & lifeless in comparison.. I hope I don’t join the club where I get to be on my 3rd or 4th amp =\

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #846 of 1,331
Good to know. Thanks! Yeah.. I literally stopped listening to music as soon as I lost my amp. Everything just sounds dead, flat & lifeless in comparison.. I hope I don’t join the club where I get to be on my 3rd or 4th amp =\

Technically I'm still only on my second amp!

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #847 of 1,331
If you're having issues with sibilance or maybe more importantly mid-treble brightness....I just replaced some older patch cables with 0.5m QED Performance 40i cables. I have one extra connection a lot of people won't have, DAC -> Pre -> Amp - but these seem to take a lot of the harshness out of those mid-highs and they advertise improved imaging. Yea the stage may be a bit expanded, and the lows are more pronounced - a little heavier, not sluggish at all, etc.

Now I have to adjust my EqualizerAPO profiles for all my tubes. Even with Grado on the Burson coming through the Lyr+ I'm a little warmer than I would even want. I'm so old, 30 years ago, "Monster Cables" mostly just made things brighter than your K-Mart Special (today -> Wal-Mart) but not these...kind of surprised me. Hoax? Gimmick? I just didn't want $8 patch cables. These weren't that expensive. It'll take time before I decide to give them to my kid or keep them...

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #849 of 1,331
I was thinking of getting a Lyr+ to complement the Bifrost 2/64 that I recently ordered, but the negative reports are making me hesitant. I could get the Topping A90D instead, but I saw a few reports saying Lyr+ is better.

I guess it might be worth rolling the dice as long as there's a warranty... :confused:

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #850 of 1,331
I was thinking of getting a Lyr+ to complement the Bifrost 2/64 that I recently ordered, but the negative reports are making me hesitant. I could get the Topping A90D instead, but I saw a few reports saying Lyr+ is better.

I guess it might be worth rolling the dice as long as there's a warranty... :confused:
The Lyr in tube mode is far better than the A90D. I actually just sold the A90D, it was soulless and more on the analytical side than musical. Granted the Lyr + is terrible in terms of longevity because I have had 3 units fail on me so I am getting a refund now and I actually just bought a 2nd hand Lyr 3 because I really love it with my 800S.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #851 of 1,331

The Monoprice liquid platinum is pretty heavily discounted right now. Might be worth considering.

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #852 of 1,331
I don’t want to crap on this thread but I had a Lyr+ nothing wrong with it, but I got freaked out by all the reports of failures and returned it for a refund. I bought one of the Cavalli Liquid Platinums and don’t regret it for a moment. Be aware, they aren’t perfect either but with the prices right now you could pretty much buy one to use and one as a spare for the price of one Lyr. They also have a 5 year warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm not going to comment on sound quality better or worse, let’s just say I’m extremely satisfied. Just for reference, I’ve owned several Schiit products, Yggy OG, Freya+, Jot2, still using Bifrost 2/64 as my DAC and have a Piety so I do love Schiit products. The Lyr+ was just not for me, YMMV of course…. Out of respect for those of you who have a Lyr I will not discuss this further or post any more about it, sorry for the hijack, just want people to make informed choices where to spend their hard earned….

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #853 of 1,331
I don’t want to crap on this thread but...
But here lemme crap on this thread.

I bought one of the Cavalli Liquid Platinums and don’t regret it for a moment. Be aware, they aren’t perfect either but with the prices right now you could pretty much buy one to use and one as a spare for the price of one Lyr. They also have a 5 year warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee.
But Wait! There's More!

I'm not going to comment on sound quality better or worse, let’s just say I’m extremely satisfied.
I won't comment but...here lemme comment in general terms that way you can wonder about all the incredible savings and amazing sound you're missing out on.

I’ve owned several Schiit products, Yggy OG, Freya+, Jot2, still using Bifrost 2/64 as my DAC and have a Piety so I do love Schiit products.
Doesn't really count when you sell them all off and ...crap all over threads of people who own them.

I will not discuss this further or post any more about it, sorry for the hijack,...

Now that I've thoroughly made my point without actually making a real commitment, I'll continue making sure everybody knows I can't make much of a commitment by continuing to assert the fact that I'm not going to make any assertions.

...just want people to make informed choices where to spend their hard earned….
Right...bet you were up all night worried about all the uninformed people - you know, those with a deep passion for tubes and subtle nuances in such things - no chance we'd have any concept of market competition or know of such alternatives.

No conflict of interests here.

So here let me show you how it's done: I'll stick with Schitt. I'd rather complain to/ at Stoddard and company than send more of my money to China by directly purchasing such gear. I don't care who designed it or what brand name they have on it. I'll stick with American. And despite this post I've no doubt in my mind at all that I have the amp that I want. And if I decide to make a change, I'm going the other direction (i.e. McIntosh) not some cheap device I can buy at Target.

Call me an arrogant pig. I don't care :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #854 of 1,331
But here lemme crap on this thread.

But Wait! There's More!

I won't comment but...here lemme comment in general terms that way you can wonder about all the incredible savings and amazing sound you're missing out on.

Doesn't really count when you sell them all off and ...crap all over threads of people who own them.

Now that I've thoroughly made my point without actually making a real commitment, I'll continue making sure everybody knows I can't make much of a commitment by continuing to assert the fact that I'm not going to make any assertions.

Right...bet you were up all night worried about all the uninformed people - you know, those with a deep passion for tubes and subtle nuances in such things - no chance we'd have any concept of market competition or know of such alternatives.

No conflict of interests here.

So here let me show you how it's done: I'll stick with Schitt. I'd rather complain to/ at Stoddard and company than send more of my money to China by directly purchasing such gear. I don't care who designed it or what brand name they have on it. I'll stick with American. And despite this post I've no doubt in my mind at all that I have the amp that I want. And if I decide to make a change, I'm going the other direction (i.e. McIntosh) not some cheap device I can buy at Target.

Call me an arrogant pig. I don't care :wink:
Wow! Don't hold back! Love your boldness (Plus I agree).... :beerchug:

Leo

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #855 of 1,331
Hey you know what? What if.... Just what if.... Someone might have a little trepidation about the Lyr+ given the, like, 90% failure rate in this thread, and might want to hear about a good alternative?

But no, let's give crap about it, cus 'Murica or some junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back