Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #811 of 1,331
Wow, what timing. Yeah I wouldn't bother then either. Just get a refund.
Yea I may have to reconsider. I plugged my cans into the Lyr+ to go direct and compare and MAJOR left channel distortion. Microphonic feedback. Does Not happen through the preamp section, only the headamp output section which is what was apparently blown in the first place. Wasn't this way the other day - though I have changed tubes, perhaps it's not seated perfectly but...not OK with this at all. And if it's not seated perfectly - there's no way. Had a tiny bit of that w/ the RCA tube (this the KenRad) and perhaps the headamp would have been worse (the RCA feedback was through the pre-out and into my Burson)...

Just turning the volume gives me tremendous microphonic feedback....maybe a different tube has a different result but man I don't want to mess with this...barely tapping the unit - in fact just touching - you can hear the feedback, and the distorted signal.

UPDATE: Went ahead and switched out tubes, no issue w/ another. Maybe a seating issue but definitely don't want to play with the issues we've heard about, distortion then boom...since I'm using the preamp section mostly, maybe I avoid the output stage issues that these may be related to (mine apparently was) but...it's too bad because for some styles of music I prefer the Lyr+ output. I suppose it's fine when I have a properly seated tube? That seems...a bit odd.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #812 of 1,331
Yeah there's a reason I have active cooling on my Lyr+. I'm not taking ANY chances with it.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #813 of 1,331
Ouch.. went to listen to my fabulous Lyr+ today only to find out it won't complete it's post / safety check (where you wait a bit and then hear a click ..). .. No click, the volume relay function won't kick on, and the unit is now producing a light vibration just beneath the area where the transformer is supposed to be (near the power plug). Tried it with and without tube inserted.. without tube, the lights won't even come on the front panel (zero lights even though the unit is getting power and on). Unit is not producing any sound no matter what I do. I think I'm going to have to send this in for service (and it's going to be a painful wait because my other amps don't even sound half as good as the Lyr+).

Anyone else experience similar issues with their Lyr+? If so, was there anything that helped you get it working again (other than sending it in)? My unit is about 4 months old.. I was really hoping to avoid any issues even though I read folks were experiencing some problems. I was literally listening to it last night and everything was fine.. I can't imagine what could've happened between then and now..

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #814 of 1,331
Ouch.. went to listen to my fabulous Lyr+ today only to find out it won't complete it's post / safety check (where you wait a bit and then hear a click ..). .. No click, the volume relay function won't kick on, and the unit is now producing a light vibration just beneath the area where the transformer is supposed to be (near the power plug). Tried it with and without tube inserted.. without tube, the lights won't even come on the front panel (zero lights even though the unit is getting power and on). Unit is not producing any sound no matter what I do. I think I'm going to have to send this in for service (and it's going to be a painful wait because my other amps don't even sound half as good as the Lyr+).

Anyone else experience similar issues with their Lyr+? If so, was there anything that helped you get it working again (other than sending it in)? My unit is about 4 months old.. I was really hoping to avoid any issues even though I read folks were experiencing some problems. I was literally listening to it last night and everything was fine.. I can't imagine what could've happened between then and now..
My unit also had a weird vibration/humming when it blew. However, the other symptoms aren't what I had. Sorry to hear you are also having issues. It does seem that repaired units have been fairing better than new units.

Westinghouse 6sn7GTA D getter - Measured NOS so I expect the sound to change a lot, but so far it has a much warmer presentation than the Tung-Sol. Lots of mid-bass. Longer decay. Mids seem considerably more textured. I'll write a more thorough report as the tube gets more hours under its belt.

Size is about the same as the stock Tung-sol.

Westinghouse D.jpg

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #815 of 1,331
Oh yeah, and same noise (noticeable in high gain only) and microphonics (none) as the new production Tung Sol

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #816 of 1,331

That's how mine toasted - the transformer vibration is potentially independent of whatever's going on. I noticed the same when mine went out, but it remains in the repaired unit I have (or whatever they sent me). Same state - you can feel the transformer vibration at power on, but no lights, no relay trigger, no state transition with or without tube. Repairs noted the output stage was blown and fixed...sounds familiar.

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #817 of 1,331
That's how mine toasted - the transformer vibration is potentially independent of whatever's going on. I noticed the same when mine went out, but it remains in the repaired unit I have (or whatever they sent me). Same state - you can feel the transformer vibration at power on, but no lights, no relay trigger, no state transition with or without tube. Repairs noted the output stage was blown and fixed...sounds familiar.
Uh.. the unit clearly shouldn’t vibrate.. you’re telling me they gave it back to you with that problem remaining????

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #818 of 1,331
Yeah, they definitely should've resolved that vibration issue. Mine hasn't done that after getting it back.

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #819 of 1,331
@XGeneX88 You will have to get it repaired, but definitely get it REPAIRED. Some people are demanding a new replacement but....that's actually worse. It just puts you right back in the same position again, waiting for it to blow up.

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #820 of 1,331
Same thing happened to me on the weekend. My 3rd unit will not turn on with any lights, still waiting for reply from Schiit as I want to return it and get my money back now.

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #821 of 1,331
It would be great if @Jason Stoddard could update us on the current status of affairs when it comes to the Lyr+ failure rate. I know that he commented on it over two months ago saying that the failure rate was no more than usual. However, in light of these further repeated failures, it would be reassuring to have an official statement on what is going on with this amp.

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #822 of 1,331
Yeah, they definitely should've resolved that vibration issue. Mine hasn't done that after getting it back.
Nah, it's exceptionally minor. Can't really tell without really checking and paying attention. Cheap transformers do this. When the unit was blown, it was pronounced - the transformer wasn't loaded or was improperly loaded and that is a different problem. What I have is ....a cheap transformer which I've no doubt they are. Easy enough to replace/ fix myself. I'm not sending anything back to Schiit unless I'm getting a refund.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #823 of 1,331
It would be great if @Jason Stoddard could update us on the current status of affairs when it comes to the Lyr+ failure rate. I know that he commented on it over two months ago saying that the failure rate was no more than usual. However, in light of these further repeated failures, it would be reassuring to have an official statement on what is going on with this amp.
What he said.

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #824 of 1,331
CV181-T-MII in da house 🥳

20230314_190730.jpg

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #825 of 1,331

Users who are viewing this thread

Back