Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #796 of 1,331
The 3rd unit is doing fine. Only using it for gaming and some listening with the 800S as I got another tube amp which is the Cayin HA-3A. However, the Lyr with the Sylavania VT231 Bad Boy tube gives me ultimate soundstage and suits best with the 800S so I'm keeping the amp as it's the best match for that headphone. Most of my music listening is on the LCD 4 with the Cayin.
That's how I got my Burson - bought something to check out in-between while my Lyr+ was being prepared and ...didn't really look back though as a pre-amp it colors the sound in a very nice way.

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #797 of 1,331
Eagar to hear how things may change as you burn in the tubes...
Very interesting - I have 50 hours on the '45 Sylvania VT-231 and over 100 hours on the '45 KenRad VT-231. They've almost switched places, though I wonder if I'm in that megadeathhorridterrible phase of the Sylvania. Except...see below.

The KenRad bass has deepened and broadened, but still mids/ reverb is more lush and deep, with longer decay. Detail is very good. The Sylvania bass has pulled back a little and so have the highs...both have very good soundstages though the KenRad has maybe opened up a bit more.

That said, the Sylvania is a good good match for female vocals. Watched/ listened to Miley Cyrus | Endless Summar Vacation | Backyward Sessions, and at 24' 30" in she does her song Wonder Woman in a large open room and a piano. That's it, just the two sounds. The way they mic'd it...man oh man oh man. With the KenRad it sounds nice. With the Sylvania - it's almost as if I'm sitting in the room. Amazing sound (and a pretty nice song too).

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #798 of 1,331
Very interesting - I have 50 hours on the '45 Sylvania VT-231 and over 100 hours on the '45 KenRad VT-231. They've almost switched places, though I wonder if I'm in that megadeathhorridterrible phase of the Sylvania. Except...see below.

The KenRad bass has deepened and broadened, but still mids/ reverb is more lush and deep, with longer decay. Detail is very good. The Sylvania bass has pulled back a little and so have the highs...both have very good soundstages though the KenRad has maybe opened up a bit more.

That said, the Sylvania is a good good match for female vocals. Watched/ listened to Miley Cyrus | Endless Summar Vacation | Backyward Sessions, and at 24' 30" in she does her song Wonder Woman in a large open room and a piano. That's it, just the two sounds. The way they mic'd it...man oh man oh man. With the KenRad it sounds nice. With the Sylvania - it's almost as if I'm sitting in the room. Amazing sound (and a pretty nice song too).

Your comments, along with some others, have me convinced. Thanks.

I am selling some gear, after which I will snag a Lyr+...

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #799 of 1,331
I cannot believe it, my 3rd unit has now had the same issue as my 2nd unit. I swapped to the melz tube from my sylvania and played a couple tracks and then there were some distorting noises through the headphone and I switched the unit off and took the tube out and restarted it and I cannot get it to click now to say its ready for use unbelievable!

Update: It wont even turn on and no lights showing, I will have to request a refund now and send it back its really sad now.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #800 of 1,331
I cannot believe it, my 3rd unit has now had the same issue as my 2nd unit. I swapped to the melz tube from my sylvania and played a couple tracks and then there were some distorting noises through the headphone and I switched the unit off and took the tube out and restarted it and I cannot get it to click now to say its ready for use unbelievable!

Update: It wont even turn on and no lights showing, I will have to request a refund now and send it back it’s really sad now.
That really sucks. You are basically acting as a beta tester for them. They should pay you for your time. It’s getting to be unreasonable at this point.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #801 of 1,331
That really sucks. You are basically acting as a beta tester for them. They should pay you for your time. It’s getting to be unreasonable at this point.
Does the Lyr 3 have the same problems? I can return the Lyr + and get a 2nd hand Lyr 3 on Ebay.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #802 of 1,331
Does the Lyr 3 have the same problems? I can return the Lyr + and get a 2nd hand Lyr 3 on Ebay.
Don't know BUT, when my unit went toes up, I pressed and they offered to replace it with a new unit rather than repair it. Personally given what I know of your situation they should swap it out for a new one AND refund you the cost of the unit. That would be appropriate for so much trouble. Really sorry to hear that - I know how frustrating that is.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #803 of 1,331
The 3rd unit is doing fine. Only using it for gaming and some listening with the 800S as I got another tube amp which is the Cayin HA-3A. However, the Lyr with the Sylavania VT231 Bad Boy tube gives me ultimate soundstage and suits best with the 800S so I'm keeping the amp as it's the best match for that headphone. Most of my music listening is on the LCD 4 with the Cayin.
How does the Cayin compare?

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #804 of 1,331

Update: It wont even turn on and no lights showing, I will have to request a refund now and send it back its really sad now.

Wow, what timing. Yeah I wouldn't bother then either. Just get a refund.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #805 of 1,331
How does the Cayin compare?
The Lyr gave me a wider soundstage which is why I preferred to use it over the Cayin with the Sylvania VT231 tube with the 800S and the Cayin has an issue with dynamic driver headphones that causes hissing. On the other hand, most of my listening is with the LCD 4 which is a planar and no hissing and its a massive upgrade over the Lyr and my A90D. I can now hear the fine texture in the bass, detail in the midrange is greatly increased to a level I didn't think was possible but people say the LCD 4 can scale up endlessly which makes them worth the price. The vocals also sound sweeter and have a clarity the Lyr is behind on. Imaging is pinpoint precise on the Cayin and the treble is airier and more detailed. I have to say though the amp sounded terrible with the stock tubes and once I got some Sylvania 12au7 and Reflektor 6V6 tubes it was a complete game changer to what it is now.

I was only using the Lyr for gaming and some light listening as it had a wider soundstage with the 800S and I did some light music listening as I much prefer the LCD 4 for music listening.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #806 of 1,331
Wow, what timing. Yeah I wouldn't bother then either. Just get a refund.
Yeah tell me about it! I swapped to the Melz tube because I remembered I paid a lot of money for it and I didn't really give it a proper listen and then it happened.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #807 of 1,331
I used to own the Lyr 3 on 2 separate occasions. Both units were rock-solid, except one of them had a really twitchy DC-sensing circuitry that would shut down and restart the amp with certain loud explosions or extremely bass-heavy tracks.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #808 of 1,331
I used to own the Lyr 3 on 2 separate occasions. Both units were rock-solid, except one of them had a really twitchy DC-sensing circuitry that would shut down and restart the amp with certain loud explosions or extremely bass-heavy tracks.
There's the Darkvoice 336SE which takes 6SN7 tubes so I will look into that.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #809 of 1,331
Reading this topic through is really sad. I bought a Valhalla 2 long ago and had no issue with it. However, to think Schiit is selling multiple defective products "brand new" and then pretending it's all fine or the return rate is not higher than usual is mesmerizing, in a bad way. For a while I was tempted to buy a Lyr+ to go with HE1000 V2 Stealth but now not only I won't do it but I don't think I'll buy another of their products again.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #810 of 1,331
Reading this topic through is really sad. I bought a Valhalla 2 long ago and had no issue with it. However, to think Schiit is selling multiple defective products "brand new" and then pretending it's all fine or the return rate is not higher than usual is mesmerizing, in a bad way. For a while I was tempted to buy a Lyr+ to go with HE1000 V2 Stealth but now not only I won't do it but I don't think I'll buy another of their products again.
I also feel a profound sense of sadness to read these things as a veteran schiit-head. I bought over 20 of their products from 2015-2021 and I live in Canada which involved paying all kinds of extra charges to get these products here. I loved most of their products that I have owned and eventually sold in my pursuit of sonic excellence. I had minor cosmetic problems on a few occasions that they always dealt with admirably. I don't think I have ever had an actual DOA or a product just dying on me within warranty.

Suffice it to say, the experiences of all these unfortunate Lyr+ owners do not line up with the Schiit quality control that I knew. It is great that their CS is swapping these things and refunding, but the underlying issue is that these products are failing for some reason. This needs to be addressed in a much more serious fashion than sweeping it under the rug if Schiit is to maintain its reputation for reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back