Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #766 of 1,374
I am all for extra protection if it is actually achieving something, but I am disappointed by the lack of transparency. If they deemed these changes necessary, why don't they communicate that with their customer base?

So for all the people that have had a Lyr+ running flawlessly for some time now, what benefit to me is it to find out that my changeover times should really be twice as long?

From Schiit's perspective, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. They have to draw the line somewhere.

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #767 of 1,374
From Schiit's perspective, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. They have to draw the line somewhere.
Fair point. I guess is it better to control the narrative at the cost of introducing some negativity, or is it better to let speculation run wild?

Out of curiosity, I wonder if they will make any changes to new production units going forward.

Mar 2, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #769 of 1,374
So for all the people that have had a Lyr+ running flawlessly for some time now, what benefit to me is it to find out that my changeover times should really be twice as long?

At least you would be aware and could potentially respond more promptly if you saw any sign of a problem.

It is human nature to want to think the best of the gear you have but the flip side is there is also benefit to being informed of a possible inherent fault.

You are informed through these forums anyway.

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #770 of 1,374
Fair point. I guess is it better to control the narrative at the cost of introducing some negativity, or is it better to let speculation run wild?

Out of curiosity, I wonder if they will make any changes to new production units going forward.
Yea but does it sound different? I can't say - the fix may require a longer settling time, perhaps the new components are different, maybe they've not been able to get certain parts, who knows. I can't imagine it's an arbitrary, "wait for this long" and though it seems consistent for those of us who have had it repaired, it's probably not so simple as, "wait longer" but maybe more, "it takes longer with this adjustment". Obviously we have no way of knowing - my unit had been on for some time when it popped. I don't have the luxury of, "before/ after" because I didn't open it before sending it back.

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #771 of 1,374
I'm going with the notion that fixed units actually sound better. Makes me feel better about my path to this point :wink:

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #772 of 1,374
Yea but does it sound different? I can't say - the fix may require a longer settling time, perhaps the new components are different, maybe they've not been able to get certain parts, who knows. I can't imagine it's an arbitrary, "wait for this long" and though it seems consistent for those of us who have had it repaired, it's probably not so simple as, "wait longer" but maybe more, "it takes longer with this adjustment". Obviously we have no way of knowing - my unit had been on for some time when it popped. I don't have the luxury of, "before/ after" because I didn't open it before sending it back.
As far as I recall, they still sound just as good as before :)

From my memory, the switching is controlled through a processor, not analog. So it really could be as simple as reprogramming double the amount of time, or running through the procedure twice. Perhaps I am wrong about exactly how it works.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #773 of 1,374
From my memory, the switching is controlled through a processor, not analog. So it really could be as simple as reprogramming double the amount of time, or running through the procedure twice. Perhaps I am wrong about exactly how it works.
Fair point - whatever motivates the change. I guess my thought was that something else drives it other than, "if we don't wait 40s, the part wears out and the amp fails" but maybe that's all it is. Sure would be nice to know and as such things go, someday we may find out. I think most people here even recognize that it's not a great situation for them to manage, whether it's statistically significant or everyone with a busted amp came here in the past few months. They know, we don't...(I hope they do).

But yea, great sounding gear no question. Well beyond its' price point I think. That I very much appreciate.

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #774 of 1,374
I'm going with the notion that fixed units actually sound better. Makes me feel better about my path to this point :wink:

I won't go that far but I will say that fixed units should last a long time. I'd rather have a repaired unit than a brand new unit.

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #775 of 1,374
I am getting my 3rd unit tomorrow so hopefully
I won't go that far but I will say that fixed units should last a long time. I'd rather have a repaired unit than a brand new unit.
I am getting my 3rd unit arriving today so hopefully it lasts, I have spent too much money on tubes for this specific amp lol.

Mar 3, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #776 of 1,374
Mar 3, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #777 of 1,374
Mar 3, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #778 of 1,374
Looks like that list is pretty old, but here's a recent review of one that looks interesting (Josh prefers it over the Lyr+):

Might be a good alternative for those burnt out on the Lyr+, or who are scared off by others' experiences.

I've got some McIntosh gear from the early 90s that smokes most anything equally priced so ...age and secondhand gems do exist.

Interesting review. Not sure what tamber is though (sorry) but props for dropping Eva Cassidy in there...despite having an EF-400, I stay away from Chi-Fi - most of their designs are rips from other companies (stolen). I don't like rewarding that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #779 of 1,374
My repaired unit failed quicker than my new unit and instead of having volume imbalance/static it completely bricked and started producing a burning smell.
But I agree they *should* last a long time.

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #780 of 1,374
Excited to finally able to listen to my Sylvania tubes tonight! Lets see how long this unit lasts for.

Attachments

• 20230303_155029.jpg
    20230303_155029.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back