Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #706 of 1,355
I guess I did jinx myself talking about not having had any problems with several pieces of Schiit gear after all. My Lyr+ left channel volume has significantly diminished to the point it's barely audible. Doesn't matter if it's in SS or Tube mode, high or low gain, and it was barely warm to the touch.
Ok, I don't know what's going on. Just prior to filling out the RA form I tried the Lyr+ again and both channels operated properly. I've had it on now for several hours and so far no problems. I had checked all of the connections prior to posting and contacting Schiit and run through all of the permutations without improvement and today it seems fine. I guess time will tell. :thinking:

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #707 of 1,355
Hi everyone my Lyr + just sort of blew up. I was tube rolling and put a tube in and I got really bad distorting noises in my headphones and then smoke started to come out the unit. I switched it off and took the tube out and switched it on after a few minutes without any tube and it started smoking again. I contacted Schiit and they will send me a replacement unit when I give them the tracking information to the return. While its very disappointing its not the end of the world as I had thought I needed to wait for my unit to arrive at their facility as I am sending it back from the UK and they will also pay me back for the shipping. I am more dissapointed that I had to resort to listening with my Topping A90D now because I much prefer the Lyr with tubes.

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #708 of 1,355
Hi everyone my Lyr + just sort of blew up. I was tube rolling and put a tube in and I got really bad distorting noises in my headphones and then smoke started to come out the unit. I switched it off and took the tube out and switched it on after a few minutes without any tube and it started smoking again. I contacted Schiit and they will send me a replacement unit when I give them the tracking information to the return. While its very disappointing its not the end of the world as I had thought I needed to wait for my unit to arrive at their facility as I am sending it back from the UK and they will also pay me back for the shipping. I am more dissapointed that I had to resort to listening with my Topping A90D now because I much prefer the Lyr with tubes.
Hold long have you had it?

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #709 of 1,355
At this point I'm pretty sure every single one purchased from November onward WILL blow up, guaranteed.

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #710 of 1,355
At this point I'm pretty sure every single one purchased from November onward WILL blow up, guaranteed.
I don't mean to get all conspiratorial ... OK, I do. Jason may want to consider the possibility, remote though it may seem, that this is a case of industrial...

SABOTAGE!

Fortunately, I first fired up my Lyr+ on 2022.10.21 with a 1953 Foton 6N8S. Knocking on a redwood, no problems with hundreds of hours on it.

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #711 of 1,355
Makes me so happy I decided to buy a used Lyr 3...

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #712 of 1,355
I don't mean to get all conspiratorial ... OK, I do. Jason may want to consider the possibility, remote though it may seem, that this is a case of industrial...

SABOTAGE!

Fortunately, I first fired up my Lyr+ on 2022.10.21 with a 1953 Foton 6N8S. Knocking on a redwood, no problems with hundreds of hours on it.
I asked that question when mine came back with the bent chassis and volume that didn't work becasue the case was mashed on wrong and a stripped power supply screw.

I was assured this could never happen. I guess it just popped off and defied the rules of physics. Or..oh it must have been from shipping. Next to impossible.

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #714 of 1,355

SABOTAGE!

Yeah I know the early adopters have largely not had issues with theirs. The fact that you bought yours in October and it still works fine makes me think my guess on the time period is pretty accurate.

Feb 16, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #715 of 1,355
Feb 16, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #716 of 1,355
Just to keep this thread from turning into nothing but a disaster report, I have to talk about the synergy between the Arya Stealth and the Lyr+.

From day 1 this was something I picked up on immediately, and has been consistently true regardless of tube choice. The Lyr+ augments the somewhat repressed midrange of the Arya SE, bringing it out and giving it fullness and presence. And the other tube qualities like soundstage depth actually play to the strengths of the Arya SE. So all that is to say that it basically takes an already great headphone and fills in its gaps and elevates its pluses into something truly ideal.

Really exceptional pairing. I imagine it would prove true for all other Hifiman headphones as well.

Feb 16, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #717 of 1,355
Just to keep this thread from turning into nothing but a disaster report, I have to talk about the synergy between the Arya Stealth and the Lyr+.

From day 1 this was something I picked up on immediately, and has been consistently true regardless of tube choice. The Lyr+ augments the somewhat repressed midrange of the Arya SE, bringing it out and giving it fullness and presence. And the other tube qualities like soundstage depth actually play to the strengths of the Arya SE. So all that is to say that it basically takes an already great headphone and fills in its gaps and elevates its pluses into something truly ideal.

Really exceptional pairing. I imagine it would prove true for all other Hifiman headphones as well.
You nailed it. Going from the Lyr OG to the Lyr+ with the Arya SE (95% head time) was exceptional enough to stop me buying the HE-1000 v2 at its recent sale price, even though I was given the green light.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #718 of 1,355
So I have sent back my faulty Lyr + back to Schiit and they told me to send them the invoice for shipping it back to them and they will pay me back. They have also confirmed they shipped the replacement unit to me which is arriving on Monday. I thought this may take weeks but I have to give Schiit credit for their quickness and great customer service. No doubt about it that the Lyr + is an exceptional amplifier and much better than my Topping A90D. I wont even listen to music until my new Lyr + arrives, that's how much better it is with tubes than my A90D.

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #719 of 1,355
So I have sent back my faulty Lyr + back to Schiit and they told me to send them the invoice for shipping it back to them and they will pay me back. They have also confirmed they shipped the replacement unit to me which is arriving on Monday. I thought this may take weeks but I have to give Schiit credit for their quickness and great customer service. No doubt about it that the Lyr + is an exceptional amplifier and much better than my Topping A90D. I wont even listen to music** until my new Lyr + arrives, that's how much better it is with tubes than my A90D.
** until then, connect A90D to an oscilloscope and feast your eyes …. 😵‍💫😂 ….

Feb 17, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #720 of 1,355

Users who are viewing this thread

Back