Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #346 of 1,331
I've loved the tube stage so much I haven't even tried the SS other than a quick switch over to make sure it worked. I love the tube sound but also cool to have SS as an option or at least a back up if tube blows and no spare. Just upgraded my Modius E DAC to a Bifrost 2 paired with HifiMan HE1000 V2s. Man, that Bifrost really took my set up to the next level. Bifrost/Lyr+/He1000s are heaven for me. :)

I have the exact same setup in my home office. The HE1000 V2 was a recent upgrade and I could not be happier with these with the Bifrost and Lyr+. I also added this as a CD transport to the bottom of my Schiit stack:

https://www.moon-audio.com/cayin-mini-cd-mk2-cd-player.html

I have a review here with a pic of the stack.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #347 of 1,331
I've loved the tube stage so much I haven't even tried the SS other than a quick switch over to make sure it worked. I love the tube sound but also cool to have SS as an option or at least a back up if tube blows and no spare. Just upgraded my Modius E DAC to a Bifrost 2 paired with HifiMan HE1000 V2s. Man, that Bifrost really took my set up to the next level. Bifrost/Lyr+/He1000s are heaven for me. :)
It’s only 2-4 weeks to wait, but I’m already super impatient! I own 3 pairs of Sennheisers but I’m thinking of splurging on the 800s or something comparable. Time to take a closer look at HifiMan. Plus since the pandemic, I’ve haven‘t been paying attention to new products at all. Don’t know what’s new out there.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #348 of 1,331
It's unfortunate that the AppleTV doesn't have more hook up options than the single HDMI. I've tried to think of ways of using it as a source for music but it doesn't work well. My ATV goes HDMI into my TV (since only connection). I then run an Optical Out from TV to DAC. This lets me use my DAC for TV sound through my stereo without messing with analog cables. I COULD listen to music through this same connection but it does NOT sound good. Guessing the single is getting really muddled up in the TV.

I was using a Bluesound Node as my streamer but when Apple Music started including high Resolution audio at no extra charge I dropped Tidal and the Node is limited to 44.1/16 for Apple Airplay. I sold the Node and now just hook up my iPad directly to my DAC.
Yep I think that’s what I’m going to do. Sorta. I honestly don’t really know what’s going to happen. I have a Sonos Arc sound bar. Do you foresee any issues getting music through the DAC/AMP? To the sound bar?

I can see plenty of possible issues with sound.

1. Apple TV hooked up to TV. HDMI
2. Sonos Arc hooked up to TV. HDMI
3. I plan to use optical out from TV to DAC. Opt Out

Do Optical Outs have their own input “channels” like HDMI? I don’t think they do. I need the TV on to see the ATV and get to Apple Music. Will I get sound AND video? What if I just want to watch TV?

It really is a pain when you’re trying to access sound through something other than wireless.

Ugh.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #349 of 1,331
So am I making this way too difficult? I want to listen to lossess music. Like Qobuz. Or Apple Music. Is Wi-Fi lossless enough for that? We all know Bluetooth isn’t. It’s been so long since I’ve thought about this that I actually don’t remember...

Edit: Wi Fi has the bandwidth to stream lossless minus signal distance and interference and equipment quality. Still probably better-sounding, closer to lossless than Bluetooth. Do I have that right?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #350 of 1,331
So am I making this way too difficult?
Yes, you are.

Think about it. Streaming audio over the internet requires internet. Whether that’s over Ethernet or wifi is, for all intents and purposes, irrelevant. The lossless part does not care about the connection type as long as the bandwidth is there.

You are so concerned about “lossless” yet you don’t have a proper audio streamer. Even your phone or tablet with USB will work, but for convenience a Sonos Port, since you are already in that ecosystem, will work great. And with the Port you can output the TV sound to your Bifrost too.

I am not sure if your TV will output audio over both optical and HDMI ARC at the same time, but I doubt it and you wouldn’t want it to anyway as you would get sound from both headphones and the Arc. So going that route will require constant fiddling of settings.

Just get a proper streaming device.

Dec 22, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #351 of 1,331
What advantage Is the Sonos Port if I can connect my iPad or IPhone to the back of the DAC? Internal components better? I don’t have multiple Sonos speakers. Just the Arc.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #352 of 1,331
So I’m thinking more about this. My plan is to stream lossless from Apple TV Music to the stack. But a separate coax cable without the Apple TV in the chain won’t work, b/c there’s no music Interface. Duh.

So rather than guess more bout this, I’ll ask all of you. Currently, my coax goes into a modem, and Ethernet sends the signal from modem to router.

Ding Ding. I just need a second Ethernet from router to DAC? Right?
Have you got an old ipad etc? You could use this as the media player/streamer for apple music (i guess - not an apple person!) and use the appropriate cables as recommended by Schiit...
here

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #353 of 1,331
What advantage Is the Sonos Port if I can connect my iPad or IPhone to the back of the DAC? Internal components better? I don’t have multiple Sonos speakers. Just the Arc.
See my previous post for a link to the cables you need :)

EDIT: I see you mentioned Qobuz OR Apple music - so currently do you have no subscription to either? I can provide a cheap option to get Tidal HiFi (via Argentinian VPN), perfectly legal and comes out for me in UK at less than £1 per month - message me if interested we can do pm's rather than clog this thread up

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #355 of 1,331
Have you got an old ipad etc? You could use this as the media player/streamer for apple music (i guess - not an apple person!) and use the appropriate cables as recommended by Schiit...
here
Thank you! I‘d forgotten, but I have one of those Apple dongles, just need to find it. Boxed after a move. I think this is the route I’m going to go. Only concern is the length of the USB cable from Schiit.

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #356 of 1,331
See my previous post for a link to the cables you need :)

EDIT: I see you mentioned Qobuz OR Apple music - so currently do you have no subscription to either? I can provide a cheap option to get Tidal HiFi (via Argentinian VPN), perfectly legal and comes out for me in UK at less than £1 per month - message me if interested we can do pm's rather than clog this thread up
Sorry, wasn’t clear. I have Apple Music but was thinking about Qobuz as well since Apple is really dragging their feet on the classical music service that’s rumored.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #359 of 1,331
I’m hoping that’s not the case. We‘ll see. The review I read said SS is at least on par with the $600 price point for amps that don’t even have a tube option. Caveat: This is based on one review. I expect to purchase a second tube around the $70 price point and stop there.
My experience is that this amp is one of the best I've heard (so far). Prior to this, I've heard the DX7/DX7S/DX7Pro/TH788/Audio Wells Milo/Valhalla2/Darkvoice/Burson Conductor 3XR/Jotunheim 2/DCS LINA & Bartok/IFI Pro IDSD and many others .... Bottom line.. at least for "me" there is a point where amps get so good that I can no longer tell where any improvement may be. The Lyr+ falls into this category EASILY. It is such a wonderfully musical amp. I legitimately LOVE to run it in Tube AND SS mode. SS is fantastic... super clean, detailed, rich and neutral. Tube is just as wonderful.. but adds warmth, euphonics, and colors things in the most pleasing way (to my ears). I use BOTH and it all just depends on my mood honestly. This amp is soooooo much bang for your buck (IMO).. When I got the $2000+ Burson Conductor XR, I thought that was really good. The caveat is that the volume scaling SUCKED and that thing ONLY sounded good to me in HIGH gain. It was awful to use with low impedance gear and made half my headphones sound lifeless (sterile) or too bright (like my Focal Clear). The Lyr+ doesn't have that issue because of how it's implemented. Both low and high gains sound equally good. The volume scaling is amazing and this works sooooo much better with my low impedance gear. Additionally, it has life/soul and richness to it. This thing honestly sounds better than the Burson Conductor ever did (at a significantly lower price point). I think you'll be very happy with this amp in your arsenal. I replaced my Burson Conductor 3XR with this and it has been such a big improvement honestly. Just last night, I was listening to my LCDX and HD800S and it was so good that it actually made me feel emotional enough to cry. That's something new to me.. Yeah it's THAT good..

Setup - Topping DX7 DAC > Lyr + (Tung Sol 6SN7GBT, PSVane UK-6SN7 and Shuguang CV181-z Treasure tubes). I plan on buying a Bifrost as soon as I gather some funds and will report how things change/improve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back