Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #333 of 1,331
No, you can't stream music from a router to the DAC. The Bifrost doesn't have an ethernet port anyway. What you need is a streaming box with either optical, coax, or USB out. What device is actually playing Apple TV Music? An Apple TV device or an app on your TV? You need to connect that device to the Bifrost.
I thought the USB In was Ethernet. Apologies. The Apple TV is playing the music, and it has an open Ethernet port. The HDMI connects it to the TV.

I lose the lossless signal because the Ethernet from the modem goes to the router. I guess I could unplug the Ethernet from the router and plug it into the Apple TV. But then I still need to connect to the DAC.

Adding: Maybe a Toslink fro the TV to the DAC? TV has these ports.

Attachments

• 74DAC57A-1C31-4132-8846-69367D7BB138.jpeg
    74DAC57A-1C31-4132-8846-69367D7BB138.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #334 of 1,331
I thought the USB In was Ethernet. Apologies. The Apple TV is playing the music, and it has an open Ethernet port. The HDMI connects it to the TV.

I lose the lossless signal because the Ethernet from the modem goes to the router. I guess I could unplug the Ethernet from the router and plug it into the Apple TV. But then I still need to connect to the DAC.

Lossless has nothing to do with the connection from the router to the modem. If you unplug ethernet from the router and plug it into your Apple TV, you will lose internet everywhere else in your house. Do not do this. Also do not worry about lossless signal - there's no such thing. There is a lossless stream which is based on the music files being played by your device, and has nothing to do with the physical connections between your devices (unless you use Bluetooth but you're not in this case).

What you need is a streaming device that supports optical, coax, or USB out. I would suggest Raspberry Pi as a low-cost option but I think it will be out of your league to set up. A PC is on option, or a Sonos Port or iFi Stream are designed to do this. Or you can use optical out from your TV, but then your TV has to be on when you listen to music. You could also get an optical extractor, which you can plug into your Apple TV's HDMI port and use it to feed an optical signal to the DAC.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #336 of 1,331
Lossless has nothing to do with the connection from the router to the modem. If you unplug ethernet from the router and plug it into your Apple TV, you will lose internet everywhere else in your house. Do not do this. Also do not worry about lossless signal - there's no such thing. There is a lossless stream which is based on the music files being played by your device, and has nothing to do with the physical connections between your devices (unless you use Bluetooth but you're not in this case).

What you need is a streaming device that supports optical, coax, or USB out. I would suggest Raspberry Pi as a low-cost option but I think it will be out of your league to set up. A PC is on option, or a Sonos Port or iFi Stream are designed to do this. Or you can use optical out from your TV, but then your TV has to be on when you listen to music. You could also get an optical extractor, which you can plug into your Apple TV's HDMI port and use it to feed an optical signal to the DAC.
Thanks! Sounds to me like optical out from my TV is the best solution. Don’t mind the TV being on, esp. since I would be using the app on the TV to manipulate what I’m streaming. Hope I’m on track here. I’m wondering if the TV will have conflicts between recognizing two ports at the same time optout/hdmi. It’s a year old LG CX model.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #337 of 1,331
So basically it's not that it changes much in terms of sound. Those who have a Lyr3 hold on to it rather than change
SS performance may be better… don’t think Lyr+ could comfortably power something like the Susvara. Based on reviews by Wave Theory. I’ve decided not to do more research and just let my ears be the judge.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #338 of 1,331
Le prestazioni delle SS potrebbero essere migliori ... non pensare che Lyr + possa alimentare comodamente qualcosa come il Susvara. Sulla base delle recensioni di Wave Theory. Ho deciso di non fare più ricerche e lasciare che siano le mie orecchie a giudicare.
I think that with a very very good tube, SS maybe is useless

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #339 of 1,331
So basically it's not that it changes much in terms of sound. Those who have a Lyr3 hold on to it rather than change
It really comes down to preferences and Use Case. I am enjoying having the second input on the Lyr+ and being able to swap between my phono preamp and DAC on the fly.

I still have my Lyr3 too though... :face_palm:

1671650275414.png

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #340 of 1,331
I think that with a very very good tube, SS maybe is useless
I’m hoping that’s not the case. We‘ll see. The review I read said SS is at least on par with the $600 price point for amps that don’t even have a tube option. Caveat: This is based on one review. I expect to purchase a second tube around the $70 price point and stop there.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #341 of 1,331
Spero che non sia così. Faremo pipì. La recensione che ho letto diceva che SS è almeno alla pari con il prezzo di $ 600 per amplificatori che non hanno nemmeno un'opzione valvolare. Avvertenza: questo si basa su una recensione. Mi aspetto di acquistare un secondo tubo intorno al prezzo di $ 70 e fermarmi qui.
The matter is that...with tubes I've got, I'll never use SS

Dec 21, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #344 of 1,331
I’m hoping that’s not the case. We‘ll see. The review I read said SS is at least on par with the $600 price point for amps that don’t even have a tube option. Caveat: This is based on one review. I expect to purchase a second tube around the $70 price point and stop there.
I've loved the tube stage so much I haven't even tried the SS other than a quick switch over to make sure it worked. I love the tube sound but also cool to have SS as an option or at least a back up if tube blows and no spare. Just upgraded my Modius E DAC to a Bifrost 2 paired with HifiMan HE1000 V2s. Man, that Bifrost really took my set up to the next level. Bifrost/Lyr+/He1000s are heaven for me. :)

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #345 of 1,331
No, you can't stream music from a router to the DAC. The Bifrost doesn't have an ethernet port anyway. What you need is a streaming box with either optical, coax, or USB out. What device is actually playing Apple TV Music? An Apple TV device or an app on your TV? You need to connect that device to the Bifrost.
It's unfortunate that the AppleTV doesn't have more hook up options than the single HDMI. I've tried to think of ways of using it as a source for music but it doesn't work well. My ATV goes HDMI into my TV (since only connection). I then run an Optical Out from TV to DAC. This lets me use my DAC for TV sound through my stereo without messing with analog cables. I COULD listen to music through this same connection but it does NOT sound good. Guessing the single is getting really muddled up in the TV.

I was using a Bluesound Node as my streamer but when Apple Music started including high Resolution audio at no extra charge I dropped Tidal and the Node is limited to 44.1/16 for Apple Airplay. I sold the Node and now just hook up my iPad directly to my DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back