Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #316 of 1,331
Yes the volume knob isn't linear. On other stepped attenuators it's typically a set amount of dB per step. On the Lyr+ the volume increases MORE with each step the higher you go. So for instance a relatively moderate sensitivity headphone like my Arya SE would need around 12-12:30 for good volume. But a very demanding headphone like my K340 would only need less than a quarter turn further for good volume.
I figured it might be the taper on relay ladder volume control, though oddly on the Saga S the relay ladder has a more typical taper.

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #317 of 1,331
I figured it might be the taper on relay ladder volume control, though oddly on the Saga S the relay ladder has a more typical taper.
As far as I know the relay ladder itself may be logarithmic. The volume dial is an ordinary motorized Alps pot (I don't know if its stereo, doesn't need to be). If I were programming the firmware I would take the pots voltage converted by the internal A/D converter on the microprocessor and use it as an index into a table which determines which relays to switch on or off. The pot can be either linear or log, though linear would be easier to convert to an index. That's what I thought the Saga might be doing so why not the Lyr+. There are other ways of using the pot to control the relays for smooth transitions.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #319 of 1,331
Im eyeing on the Lyr+. Does it work well with low impedance dynamic headphones such as the Kennerton Gjallahorn?
Ill be using the mojo2 as a dac to feed it.
I will say that Lyr 3 (the predecessor to 3+) is fantastic with Gjallarhorn JM Edition MK-II, with a variety of 6SN7s etc. I cannot imagine that 3+ would not excel in your situation.

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #322 of 1,331
Hi - any specific reason why? I thought you had been enthusiastic about the sound, but perhaps I’m remembering incorrectly. This in regard to post 320. Haven’t lurked for a while and I seem a bit challenged by… quotes. :triportsad:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #323 of 1,331
Hi folks. I’ve been considering an amp for some time. Decided to purchase the Lyr+ after viewing Wave Theory’s review and subsequent $600 amp shootout. Suffice to say, he’s a big fan of this amp at this price point. I’m EXCITED. I’m warning all of you, though, that I’m bound to ask some noob questions. I’ve mostly been focused on headphones, and I’m not technically minded. Thanks in advance….. 🎄

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #324 of 1,331
Hi folks. I’ve been considering an amp for some time. Decided to purchase the Lyr+ after viewing Wave Theory’s review and subsequent $600 amp shootout. Suffice to say, he’s a big fan of this amp at this price point. I’m EXCITED. I’m warning all of you, though, that I’m bound to ask some noob questions. I’ve mostly been focused on headphones, and I’m not technically minded. Thanks in advance….. 🎄
Hope you enjoy it, and fire away. The only stoopid noob question is the one that goes unasked.

FYI: just hit REPLY on the post to which you're replying, and it will get quoted. The +QUOTE is for including multiple original posts in a reply.

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #325 of 1,331
Hope you enjoy it, and fire away. The only stoopid noob question is the one that goes unasked.

FYI: just hit REPLY on the post to which you're replying, and it will get quoted. The +QUOTE is for including multiple original posts in a reply.
Yes thank you. That’s exactly what I did!

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #326 of 1,331
So first question. I also purchased the new Bifrost along with a pair of RCA from Schiit to connect them. My main concern right now is the feed into the DAC. I plan to connect to a coaxial cable (via splitter) and place the purchases next to my TV. Two questions: Will the splitter reduce quality of the signal? And could the TV cause interference? This is the only lossless connection into my home. Streaming is my only option. Thanks…

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #327 of 1,331
So first question. I also purchased the new Bifrost along with a pair of RCA from Schiit to connect them. My main concern right now is the feed into the DAC. I plan to connect to a coaxial cable (via splitter) and place the purchases next to my TV. Two questions: Will the splitter reduce quality of the signal? And could the TV cause interference? This is the only lossless connection into my home. Streaming is my only option. Thanks…

What is your source? The splitter should be OK, but I'm not sure why it's needed? The TV could potentially cause interference but generally should be OK - many people run these units on their desk next to noisy computers and monitors so a TV should be similar.

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #328 of 1,331
What is your source? The splitter should be OK, but I'm not sure why it's needed? The TV could potentially cause interference but generally should be OK - many people run these units on their desk next to noisy computers and monitors so a TV should be similar.
So I’m thinking more about this. My plan is to stream lossless from Apple TV Music to the stack. But a separate coax cable without the Apple TV in the chain won’t work, b/c there’s no music Interface. Duh.

So rather than guess more bout this, I’ll ask all of you. Currently, my coax goes into a modem, and Ethernet sends the signal from modem to router.

Ding Ding. I just need a second Ethernet from router to DAC? Right?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #329 of 1,331
Ok. Another question. I own an old Darkvoice and I remember how even its stock tube transformed sound from the Sennheiser 650. How will the Lyr3+ “improve” the sound from the Darkvoice? I know tube Amps and tubes are very subjective, but can anyone comment on how more expensive tube amps process sound? What should I expect to be difference? I’ll probably see if I can pull that DV out of storage. I’ve got 2-4 weeks before I see the amp.

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #330 of 1,331
So I’m thinking more about this. My plan is to stream lossless from Apple TV Music to the stack. But a separate coax cable without the Apple TV in the chain won’t work, b/c there’s no music Interface. Duh.

So rather than guess more bout this, I’ll ask all of you. Currently, my coax goes into a modem, and Ethernet sends the signal from modem to router.

Ding Ding. I just need a second Ethernet from router to DAC? Right?
No, you can't stream music from a router to the DAC. The Bifrost doesn't have an ethernet port anyway. What you need is a streaming box with either optical, coax, or USB out. What device is actually playing Apple TV Music? An Apple TV device or an app on your TV? You need to connect that device to the Bifrost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back