Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #301 of 1,331
Hey folks, I'm using a PSVane UK-6SN7 and the stock Tung Sol tube that comes with Lyr+, I noticed that neither tube really emits much of a glow (barely visible at all). Is anyone here using a tube that has a nice visible glow to it? Just curious what's out there that might sound good and look glowy at the same time =)
Brimar CV4033 triple micas halo getter 1957 Footscray (with 12AU7 adapter) here, quite pricey though
or here in the classifieds
PXL_20221211_021116664.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #302 of 1,331
Hey folks, I'm using a PSVane UK-6SN7 and the stock Tung Sol tube that comes with Lyr+, I noticed that neither tube really emits much of a glow (barely visible at all). Is anyone here using a tube that has a nice visible glow to it? Just curious what's out there that might sound good and look glowy at the same time =)
Neither tubes I have tested on my Lyr+ has shown much glow. I don’t know what makes them glow more really. Playing louder? :)

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #303 of 1,331
My injured Lyr+ is on its way to Schiit, and they've even paid for shipping to them! Pretty amazed by that!

Funnily I'm actually more giddy about getting it back than I was about receiving it in the first place. I guess since having listened to it, I know exactly what I'm missing, and yeah... I'm pretty eager to get it back!

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #304 of 1,331
My injured Lyr+ is on its way to Schiit, and they've even paid for shipping to them! Pretty amazed by that!

Funnily I'm actually more giddy about getting it back than I was about receiving it in the first place. I guess since having listened to it, I know exactly what I'm missing, and yeah... I'm pretty eager to get it back!
That’s pretty awesome they covered shipping. They could probably sense your pain. 😉

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #305 of 1,331

What's the problem with Lyr+?

Dec 15, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #307 of 1,331
Guys... They're sending me a replacement. I just got an email it will be shipping out soon. I NEVER expected for a moment that they'd replace it free-of-charge considering I screwed mine up and it was clearly and obviously my fault. I wouldn't expect this treatment every time, or ever again, but this time they decided to go above and beyond. I knew Schiit made some great products, I never expected their customer service to be so exceptional.

@Jason Stoddard and his team really have an amazing company and I really can't say enough good things about them!

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #308 of 1,331
Guys... They're sending me a replacement. I just got an email it will be shipping out soon. I NEVER expected for a moment that they'd replace it free-of-charge considering I screwed mine up and it was clearly and obviously my fault. I wouldn't expect this treatment every time, or ever again, but this time they decided to go above and beyond. I knew Schiit made some great products, I never expected their customer service to be so exceptional.

@Jason Stoddard and his team really have an amazing company and I really can't say enough good things about them!
Sometimes when a product fails in a novel or spectacular way, it’s worth it to the manufacturer to get it back and investigate. Not saying that’s necessarily what happened in your case, but I’ve done that sort of thing before. I’m better at finding failure modes than the average person, even the ones that aren’t my fault. I had one job where I heard the phrase “I’ve been doing this 20 years, and never seen that happen,” about once a week.
Glad they took care of you.

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #309 of 1,331
I just bought a Lyr+ and Jot 2, upgrading from a Lyr 3 and Jot 1.

One question I have: the specs list the Lyr+ as having more power than the Jot 2 single-ended output, but it certainly doesn't seem that way. On the Jot 2 in low gain mode, SE output, I listen to my HD800S at about 11 o'clock but to match the power on the Lyr+ I have to put it in high gain mode and turn the knob to about 1 o'clock. In low gain mode, the Lyr+ can't even get there.

Have other people found the Lyr+ to not have as much power as the Jot despite the specs?

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #310 of 1,331
Crap, my Lyr+ already has an issue. While typing my last post, switching between low & high gain mode, suddenly the output on the right channel in high gain mode dropped dramatically. It still works normal in low gain mode. I've tried switching between tube & solid-state, changing the volume, 'rebooting' it, switching headphones, etc but nothing has fixed it.

It's about 1 hour old and already needs to be returned 😢

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #311 of 1,331
Crap, my Lyr+ already has an issue. While typing my last post, switching between low & high gain mode, suddenly the output on the right channel in high gain mode dropped dramatically. It still works normal in low gain mode. I've tried switching between tube & solid-state, changing the volume, 'rebooting' it, switching headphones, etc but nothing has fixed it.

It's about 1 hour old and already needs to be returned 😢

Try powering it off, unplugging the power cord, plugging it back in and powering it back on to see if that helps.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #312 of 1,331
Also check the cables from your source to the amp and make sure they're connected correctly.

As far as volume/power goes, don't confuse volume knob position with power. The Lyr+ volume pot is calibrated differently and you will need to turn it up higher to get the volume you like. It does ramp up faster for the last half of the travel. Although, if your low gain volume is too low, there might be an issue with your amp possibly related to your right channel issue.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #314 of 1,331
Sure enough, the problem returned after the amp was on for a few minutes.

It's not the cables; I have two DACs connected, and the problem persists with both inputs - and if it were the cables, it would affect the low gain mode as well.

As one final troubleshooting step, I changed the tube (though as noted, the problem persists in solid-state mode as well) and the problem persists with the other tube.

I'll see what Schiit support says. Most likely it'll need to be returned.

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #315 of 1,331
Sure enough, the problem returned after the amp was on for a few minutes.

It's not the cables; I have two DACs connected, and the problem persists with both inputs - and if it were the cables, it would affect the low gain mode as well.

As one final troubleshooting step, I changed the tube (though as noted, the problem persists in solid-state mode as well) and the problem persists with the other tube.

I'll see what Schiit support says. Most likely it'll need to be returned.

Well geez, that's not good. Almost sounds like high gain mode stopped working on one channel. I really hope the Lyr+ doesn't turn out to have widespread issues.

Also check the cables from your source to the amp and make sure they're connected correctly.

As far as volume/power goes, don't confuse volume knob position with power. The Lyr+ volume pot is calibrated differently and you will need to turn it up higher to get the volume you like. It does ramp up faster for the last half of the travel. Although, if your low gain volume is too low, there might be an issue with your amp possibly related to your right channel issue.

Yes the volume knob isn't linear. On other stepped attenuators it's typically a set amount of dB per step. On the Lyr+ the volume increases MORE with each step the higher you go. So for instance a relatively moderate sensitivity headphone like my Arya SE would need around 12-12:30 for good volume. But a very demanding headphone like my K340 would only need less than a quarter turn further for good volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back