Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #256 of 1,331
I just got my Lyr+ today, upgrading from a Valhalla 2.. and even without burn-in I can hear an immediate benefit! Granted my Valhalla 2 was starting to get old (7 years) and perhaps the tubes were a little bit over their best days, but the difference is huge and I can hear details in songs I know extremely well that I have not heard before.

Loving it so far, and the Solid State stage is very very nice. It's actually one of the reasons I decided to buy the Lyr+ because replacement tubes are starting to be a bit harder to find (at least in Europe). I did get it with tube though and using that most of the time.

I do have a bit of a problem with the volume control though, but Im going to use it for a few days before contacting Schiit. I'm using high-gain with HD800's, and it stays very quiet up until like 10 o'clock. Then quiet from 10 to 2 (even dips down in volume at one spot) and then just one millimeter of movement around 2 o'clock it jumps massively in volume. It's a bit annoying because anything before that jump is too quiet for me, and after is too loud.
When it jumps you can hear multiple relays going off, instead of the normal single tick.

Getting my Bifrost 2/64 in a few days (currently rocking an old Bifrost (1) multibit Gen2 USB), so its quite the upgrade for me these days :)
Cool beans! I asked about going from Bifrost 1 Multibit to Bifrost 2/64 in the other thread. I'm curious as to how big it is of a jump paired along with Lyr+.

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #257 of 1,331
Cool beans! I asked about going from Bifrost 1 Multibit to Bifrost 2/64 in the other thread. I'm curious as to how big it is of a jump paired along with Lyr+.

I have a Bifrost 1 Multibit I used to use with my Ragnarok before I upgraded to the Yggy. I then wanted a desktop amp for my roll top and go the Lyr+ and ran a long set of interconnects from the Yggy to it. I then set up an office in an open room in the house and wanted a DAC for the Lyr+ got a Bifrost 2/64. The Bifrost 1 is in a separate system with some Manepan LRS.

So, I have not compared my Bifrost 1 multibit with the 2/64 on the Lyr+. I can tell you than the gap between the Yggy and 2/64 is smaller than the gap between the Bifrost 1 and the Yggy. The cupped narrow oval spear of a soundstage of the Bifrost 1 is gone in the 2/64. It is easy to tell than the 2/64 has a larger and better proportioned soundstage. Also has better neutrality and resolution. Also considering the remote control of the 2/64 and on going upgradability I think you will be glad you got the 2/64 when you have the funds.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #258 of 1,331
Same position here. I’m not eager to replace my Bifrost 1 multibit - but if the difference is big enough…

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #259 of 1,331
Same position here. I’m not eager to replace my Bifrost 1 multibit - but if the difference is big enough…
Just to be clear, I still hold the Bifrost 1 in high regard especially for the form factor. I may directly compare the two this weekend on the Lyr+. One nice thing should you all get a 2/64 with your Lyr+ is that the 2/64 is a perfect cosmetic match. I have silver for both and the aluminum finish is identical between the two. Even the source selector button on the 2/64 is perfectly centered with the volume knob of the Lyr+ that sits a top.
20221128_110335_resized.jpg

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #261 of 1,331
Just to be clear, I still hold the Bifrost 1 in high regard especially for the form factor. I may directly compare the two this weekend on the Lyr+. One nice thing should you all get a 2/64 with your Lyr+ is that the 2/64 is a perfect cosmetic match. I have silver for both and the aluminum finish is identical between the two. Even the source selector button on the 2/64 is perfectly centered with the volume knob of the Lyr+ that sits a top.
20221128_110335_resized.jpg
That is a sexy looking set up right there!!!! :)

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #262 of 1,331
That is a sexy looking set up right there!!!! :)

Thank you. By the way the little Cayin CD player on the bottom of the stack only cost $279 at Moon Audio. I am using it as a CD Transport. I compared it in my main system to the Cambridge CXC transport. I would be hard pressed to tell a difference in sound quality. Perhaps the Cambridge had a little more fullness in the bass. If I compared them for longer I may have been able to tell some differences. I had bough a $1500 transport including upgraded power supply for this headphone stack made by Nuprime. It was defective and would not send signal to my 2/64. They had no more in stock so I got a refund on the Nuprime. This little Cayin looks and sounds so good with the Bifrost that I feel no need for a better transport. So it has saved me over $1200! The Cayin Mini-CD-MK2 seemed to good to be true but so far it has exceeded expectations. My Dad also bought one for his Bifrost 1 Multibit and he loves it.

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #263 of 1,331
Thank you. By the way the little Cayin CD player on the bottom of the stack only cost $279 at Moon Audio. I am using it as a CD Transport. I compared it in my main system to the Cambridge CXC transport. I would be hard pressed to tell a difference in sound quality. Perhaps the Cambridge had a little more fullness in the bass. If I compared them for longer I may have been able to tell some differences. I had bough a $1500 transport including upgraded power supply for this headphone stack made by Nuprime. It was defective and would not send signal to my 2/64. They had no more in stock so I got a refund on the Nuprime. This little Cayin looks and sounds so good with the Bifrost that I feel no need for a better transport. So it has saved me over $1200! The Cayin Mini-CD-MK2 seemed to good to be true but so far it has exceeded expectations. My Dad also bought one for his Bifrost 1 Multibit and he loves it.
I currently only do streaming on my headphone set up. iPad Air > into Modius E using AppleMusic. Since AM does CS quality and hi rez now, works out really nice. I have a CD player on my main stereo rig but honestly never gets used. Usually streaming or vinyl there. I’ve been questioning if I should start offloading most of my CDs. Seems a lot of the stuff I have has better remasters now anyway.

Do you find that CDs sound better than streaming? Or you not streaming?

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #264 of 1,331
I currently only do streaming on my headphone set up. iPad Air > into Modius E using AppleMusic. Since AM does CS quality and hi rez now, works out really nice. I have a CD player on my main stereo rig but honestly never gets used. Usually streaming or vinyl there. I’ve been questioning if I should start offloading most of my CDs. Seems a lot of the stuff I have has better remasters now anyway.

Do you find that CDs sound better than streaming? Or you not streaming?

I do find that a CD from a decent transport via RCA Coax into the 2/64 sounds better than streaming into 2/64 USB. I am currently using Tidal and Qobuz on a 2022 Dell XPS 17. Using a Audioquest Cinnamon cable USB C to B going to the Bifrost Unison USB. CD definitely sounds better than Tidal on CD quality. CD sounds just a little better than Qobuz on CD quality. Tidal MQA is closer. Qobuz hi rez seems to sound as good as CD in some ways though never seems to beat CD. CD comparisons with Qobuz hi rez is usually a tie or sometimes CD is better. My Dad only has Tidal and he says the Cayin CD Transport sounds better when he compares same stuff.

By the way I have used Tidal for years and tried Qobuz recently. I cancelled Tidal. I mainly listen to Blues/rock/folk, classical, and progressive rock. The Qobuz library for classical is vastly larger than Tidal. And to me Quobuz sounds better.

Also keep in mind I was a teenager when CDs first came on the market. So I probably have a psychological connection to the ritual of physical media that makes me biased. That said, lots of good reasons to have physical media as you probably know since you play vinyl. I do love streaming for music discovery and I am often pleased with the sound quality.

By the way regarding vinyl. You can see the TT in my pic of the Schiit stack. It is hooked up to the 2nd input of the Lyr+. Love that the Lyr+ has two inputs! My vinyl rig sounds amazing on the Lyr+. I have several albums on both CD and Vinyl. With this headphone rig I have been comparing streaming, CD, and vinyl and I almost always think the vinyl sounds better. Given the choice I will go with the vinyl version almost always. I do believe streaming and vinyl is a great way to go. However there is some music I love that is not on vinyl or streaming but only CD (e.g. Glass Hammer). I do copy these CDs to my computer and they sound good. But I still seem to have more fun just playing the CD. And even if the reason is partly psychological that is good enough reason for me.

P.S.: I have purchased some high rez downloads that are as good or better than CD.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #265 of 1,331
I do find that a CD from a decent transport via RCA Coax into the 2/64 sounds better than streaming into 2/64 USB. I am currently using Tidal and Qobuz on a 2022 Dell XPS 17. Using a Audioquest Cinnamon cable USB C to B going to the Bifrost Unison USB. CD definitely sounds better than Tidal on CD quality. CD sounds just a little better than Qobuz on CD quality. Tidal MQA is closer. Qobuz hi rez seems to sound as good as CD in some ways though never seems to beat CD. CD comparisons with Qobuz hi rez is usually a tie or sometimes CD is better. My Dad only has Tidal and he says the Cayin CD Transport sounds better when he compares same stuff.

By the way I have used Tidal for years and tried Qobuz recently. I cancelled Tidal. I mainly listen to Blues/rock/folk, classical, and progressive rock. The Qobuz library for classical is vastly larger than Tidal. And to me Quobuz sounds better.

Also keep in mind I was a teenager when CDs first came on the market. So I probably have a psychological connection to the ritual of physical media that makes me biased. That said, lots of good reasons to have physical media as you probably know since you play vinyl. I do love streaming for music discovery and I am often pleased with the sound quality.

By the way regarding vinyl. You can see the TT in my pic of the Schiit stack. It is hooked up to the 2nd input of the Lyr+. Love that the Lyr+ has two inputs! My vinyl rig sounds amazing on the Lyr+. I have several albums on both CD and Vinyl. With this headphone rig I have been comparing streaming, CD, and vinyl and I almost always think the vinyl sounds better. Given the choice I will go with the vinyl version almost always. I do believe streaming and vinyl is a great way to go. However there is some music I love that is not on vinyl or streaming but only CD (e.g. Glass Hammer). I do copy these CDs to my computer and they sound good. But I still seem to have more fun just playing the CD. And even if the reason is partly psychological that is good enough reason for me.

P.S.: I have purchased some high rez downloads that are as good or better than CD.
Thanks for all the info and thoughts. As I’m sure you are aware with vinyl, quality is all over the board and price point doesn’t necessarily mean that much. I have some records in the $50-$100 list price that aren’t that great. I also have some dollar bin gems that sound amazing. It is hard to beat the sound of a well pressed vinyl with a really good analog master. Much of the later stuff I’ve gotten on vinyl isn’t pressed that well or are digital sources. I have quite a bit of vinyl that I don’t think is worth owning on vinyl. I’ve become much more selective in what i buy.

I really haven’t done much vinyl listening w headphones. Something I wanna try. I just got my set up for cans recently which is in my bedroom and rather not have a turntable in there. I’d like to bring my Lyr+ out to my turntable to try it though. Guessing some stuff will sound ridiculously awesome and others not so great. I imagine any record that has some noise will be a bit off putting.

Are you using or have you tried a Schiit phono stage? Guess not really an option for me since they don’t sell a stand alone phono stage and one can’t be added to the Lyr. My main rig uses one inside my Van Alstine preamp. My table is a Rega P5.

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #266 of 1,331
Thanks for all the info and thoughts. As I’m sure you are aware with vinyl, quality is all over the board and price point doesn’t necessarily mean that much. I have some records in the $50-$100 list price that aren’t that great. I also have some dollar bin gems that sound amazing. It is hard to beat the sound of a well pressed vinyl with a really good analog master. Much of the later stuff I’ve gotten on vinyl isn’t pressed that well or are digital sources. I have quite a bit of vinyl that I don’t think is worth owning on vinyl. I’ve become much more selective in what i buy.

I really haven’t done much vinyl listening w headphones. Something I wanna try. I just got my set up for cans recently which is in my bedroom and rather not have a turntable in there. I’d like to bring my Lyr+ out to my turntable to try it though. Guessing some stuff will sound ridiculously awesome and others not so great. I imagine any record that has some noise will be a bit off putting.

Are you using or have you tried a Schiit phono stage? Guess not really an option for me since they don’t sell a stand alone phono stage and one can’t be added to the Lyr. My main rig uses one inside my Van Alstine preamp. My table is a Rega P5.

Totally agree with you on the state of vinyl. New issues can be risky. On a positive note I recently bought several Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson albums on vinyl and they are quiet pressing with great sound quality. I have bought many used LPs for cheap and have found several that just sound awesome. I pretty much only buy my favorite stuff on vinyl new.

Yes I have a Schiit Mani 1st gen hooked up to the TT feed the Lyr+. I also got a Swagman Labs power supply to go with it:
20221202_133624_resized.jpg

This TT was on my main system. I have a Pro-ject X8 on order for the main system now. There is a Mani 2 on the main system and I think it sounds better than the Mani 1 with the Swagman power supply. A Swagman power supply may work well with the Mani 2 but have not tried it yet. I am very impressed with the Mani 2. I plan to eventually get a balanced phono stage to take advantage of the X8's tone arm being wired for balanced. However, I really do not find the Mani 2 lacking at all. Great value and high recommended.

Regarding listening to vinyl with Headphones. I started doing this with my Senn HD800S and as you can imagine it ruthlessly revealed every wart on the record and the shortcomings of my TT. Fortunately I was able to significantly improve my TT performance as a result through tweaks. I though my TT was noisier than it should have been so I got the Pro-ject power supply upgrade for about $50 and it gave much better grounding and gave a nice improvement. Also becomes even more important to keep your platter bearing lubed. All that said, the draw backs of hearing TT and vinyl flaws on headphones is more than overcome when you heard how awesome the music sounds. Once you try it and tweak your TT as needed, you will always want a TT on your headphone rig.

Not familiar with the Van Alstine stage but I did meet the man himself. Really liked him.

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #267 of 1,331
By the way, are there any other people using Lyr+ with IEMs? I did a search in this thread, and there wasn't much discussion on it. I wouldn't primarily use this for IEMs, but it'll be nice to switch off when my head gets tired of being squished by the HD650s. I have a Fiio FA9, which has an option to toggle impedance between 16 and 32 ohms. I keep it on 32 ohms regardless of the amp (or lack thereof), and it seems to work fine.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #268 of 1,331
By the way, are there any other people using Lyr+ with IEMs? I did a search in this thread, and there wasn't much discussion on it. I wouldn't primarily use this for IEMs, but it'll be nice to switch off when my head gets tired of being squished by the HD650s. I have a Fiio FA9, which has an option to toggle impedance between 16 and 32 ohms. I keep it on 32 ohms regardless of the amp (or lack thereof), and it seems to work fine.
You will not find many people using Lyr+ with IEM. This device was designed for completely different headphones. Not for IEM.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #269 of 1,331
You will not find many people using Lyr+ with IEM. This device was designed for completely different headphones. Not for IEM.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I figured there's more than one person using IEMs in addition to their main headphone. I'm thinking of using a Magni+ to go off my future Bifrost 2/64 and then use that Schiit switcher to alternate between the Lyr+ feeding my HD 650s and the Magni+ feeding my FA9s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back