Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #212 of 1,331
There are significantly fewer burnt fingers as a result of this limitation. Can you imagine how many people would just have to try it to believe it? And instantly regret it.
No no, you just sell it as a feature! "Included anti-identity theft measures! Can't steal your fingerprints if you don't have any!"

Nov 15, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #213 of 1,331
Am very interested to know how the SS mode might sound versus other SS amps. Have already read a few comments regarding Jotunheim 2 in this thread, and they really piqued my interest in this Lyr+ thing. It's not that I'm not interested in the hybrid mode, but I'm mostly curious to know how the SS mode compares to my Crown XLS 1502 for driving the Sundara. I'm enjoying this combo immensely (the XLS 1502 makes the Sundara sound powerful, real, liquid, and holographic), but being that it's a loudspeaker amp, the noise floor is a bit distracting when listening to anything other than music, or movies. I'm thinking about picking up a used Jot2, but if the Lyr+ in SS is really a significant improvement over the Jot2, I might just consider paying almost double for a new Lyr+ (with tube). So, requesting more comparisons between Lyr+ SS mode and other SS amps, especially more Jot 2 comparisons, pretty please. :)

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #214 of 1,331
Just wondering whether anyone is running an LCD-X with the Lyr+, and how they play together. I really enjoy those cans, and was hoping to get some B-stock from the Audeze sale, but I was about three seconds late, and the only two sets they made available got snatched up. So maybe next year.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #215 of 1,331
How does the Lyr+ pair with 300ohm headphones in tube mode? I'm considering picking up ZMF Auteur/Atrrium or HD660s. I used to have a Valhalla, and know it would be the better pairing for 300ohm, but I don't need another amp :)

I had a Lyr3 and it always had a grainy sound with ZMF and Sennheisers, regardless of tubes used. They Lyr+ is so much clearer than Lyr3.

Nov 17, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #216 of 1,331
How does the Lyr+ pair with 300ohm headphones in tube mode? I'm considering picking up ZMF Auteur/Atrrium or HD660s. I used to have a Valhalla, and know it would be the better pairing for 300ohm, but I don't need another amp :)

I had a Lyr3 and it always had a grainy sound with ZMF and Sennheisers, regardless of tubes used. They Lyr+ is so much clearer than Lyr3.
300 ohm with those phones would be easy for the Lyr+ to drive. I have a pair of 300ohm Senn HD800S and they are driven fully and sound excellent on the Lyr+. My main amp with the HD800S before was a Schiit Ragnarok Gen 1 which I enjoy tremendously. However, I actually prefer the HD800S with the Lyr+. I can tell when the HD800S is underpowered. That was the case with the Asgard 2. With the Lyr+ I get all the gain I want with all being well controlled, fatigue free, and alive. Tube and solid state mode on the Lyr+ have the same power on paper which also translates to what I hear.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #217 of 1,331
HiFiMan makes/made an amp that can drive it (EF-6? you could check)., but I've never heard it. I'm sure others will chime in with alternatives. You might search Head-Fi for the HE-6 thread. I can recall lots of posts about this topic. That's where the idea to use a speaker amp came from. Sorry, not familiar with the LCD4. If you compare the specs with the HE-6 (esp. impedance and efficiency) you can get some idea.

I looked at the latest revision of the HE-6 (SE v2) which can be had for $549 from Adorama (same via Amazon). I think the specs are the same or close to the original. I checked the classifieds here the other day and didn't find any on offer, and the latest sales were over $1500. While I could afford the new version, the reviews of the headband put me off, and really, how much $$$ does Fang need from me?? :wink:

If you do get any version of the HE-6, I'd be curious to hear your impressions of it via the Lyr+.

There's at least one review here:
https://www.adorama.com/r/hmhe6sev2-reviews
that mentions amps for the HE-6 SEv2

I have played the Hifiman Arya Stealth, HE6SE, and the HE1000 V2 on the Lyr+. The Arya Stealth and the HE1000 V2 are easily driven by the Lyr+ and sound excellent. The HE6SE runs out of power with the Lyr+. If you had not heard the HE6SE on more powerful amps, it may seem that the Lyr+ is driving them pretty good. However they are not reaching their potential due to needing more power. My Schiit Ragnarok Gen 1 XLR lights up the HE6SE like a Christmas tree. It is now the only amp I use with the HE6SE. The other Hifiman's get most of their listening time with the Lyr+.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #218 of 1,331
I have played the Hifiman Arya Stealth, HE6SE, and the HE1000 V2 on the Lyr+. The Arya Stealth and the HE1000 V2 are easily driven by the Lyr+ and sound excellent. The HE6SE runs out of power with the Lyr+. If you had not heard the HE6SE on more powerful amps, it may seem that the Lyr+ is driving them pretty good. However they are not reaching their potential due to needing more power. My Schiit Ragnarok Gen 1 XLR lights up the HE6SE like a Christmas tree. It is now the only amp I use with the HE6SE. The other Hifiman's get most of their listening time with the Lyr+.
While I enjoyed the HE-5LE via the speaker amp (with and without Lyr+ in the chain), I switched back to the Arya Stealth via the Lyr+. As you note, there's no need to use anything else. The HE-560 (orig) sound better straight from the Lyr+. Admittedly, it's not a great speaker amp (though not bad, either), but I didn't get it to drive cans :wink:

The HE-6 SEv2 is really tempting at $549, just not sure how much use it would get, as I love the Arya SE. At least I can enjoy the HE-5LE on occasion. As you experienced, the Lyr+ runs out of steam with them.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #219 of 1,331

Both Aeolus and Atrium sound great out of Lyr+. I don't think 300 ohm headphones are a problem for this amp.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #220 of 1,331
Am very interested to know how the SS mode might sound versus other SS amps. Have already read a few comments regarding Jotunheim 2 in this thread, and they really piqued my interest in this Lyr+ thing. It's not that I'm not interested in the hybrid mode, but I'm mostly curious to know how the SS mode compares to my Crown XLS 1502 for driving the Sundara. I'm enjoying this combo immensely (the XLS 1502 makes the Sundara sound powerful, real, liquid, and holographic), but being that it's a loudspeaker amp, the noise floor is a bit distracting when listening to anything other than music, or movies. I'm thinking about picking up a used Jot2, but if the Lyr+ in SS is really a significant improvement over the Jot2, I might just consider paying almost double for a new Lyr+ (with tube). So, requesting more comparisons between Lyr+ SS mode and other SS amps, especially more Jot 2 comparisons, pretty please. :)
Sorry to go briefly off topic, slightly... but have you considered Edition XS over the Sundara's? I used to own Sundara and loved the detail etc, but then along came the XS and it was like 'ahh, there's the bass' [missing slightly from the Sundara's]. It's not huge, bloated bass, but a definite improvement on the Sundara. When on offer the price isn't too terrible. Heck, I'd deffo say they're worth full price, but just saying the margin between Sundara and XS (when on offer) is not too vast but the gains for the extra bass is for sure worth it.

Yes, the headband was a bit dissapointing in that it gave me a couple of hotspots either side of my head after long listening periods. However, this was remedied with a Geekria LARGE hook and loop headband cover.

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #221 of 1,331
Sorry to go briefly off topic, slightly... but have you considered Edition XS over the Sundara's? I used to own Sundara and loved the detail etc, but then along came the XS and it was like 'ahh, there's the bass' [missing slightly from the Sundara's]. It's not huge, bloated bass, but a definite improvement on the Sundara. When on offer the price isn't too terrible. Heck, I'd deffo say they're worth full price, but just saying the margin between Sundara and XS (when on offer) is not too vast but the gains for the extra bass is for sure worth it.

Yes, the headband was a bit dissapointing in that it gave me a couple of hotspots either side of my head after long listening periods. However, this was remedied with a Geekria LARGE hook and loop headband cover.
You have to take into consideration how much amp pairing affects the perception of bass quantity and quality. Any comparison of headphones requires the amp paired to be mentioned, because it matters a lot more than many users, especially those new to the hobby, realize. The Sundara produced thunderous, head-vibrating transients peaking between 16hz and 25hz from the movie How to Train Your Dragon, out of the Crown XLS 1502. A very, very visceral experience. It has just the right amount of midbass thickness out of my Crown XLS 1502, and much more than out of my analytical Drop THX 789. Occasionally, a deep male voice can even sound bloomy, but I attribute this more to the recording than the system. The slight roll off I have covered with EQ. Been enjoying a lot of EDM with it—thick and slammy, but still dynamic and punchy. I think the amount of bass is pretty accurate/realistic, and while I don't think more thickness would be unfavorable, I might consider it inaccurate/colored.

To pull things back on track...the Lyr+ might have to be used only as tube preamp into my XLS 1502 when tasked to produce those megalithic transients in the movie, because the XLS's indicator revealed that the Sundara was pulling well north of 4 watts per channel to produce those rumbles. My THX 789 (almost 5 watts into 37 ohms) would clip. This movie makes for an exceptional benchmark for headphone amp power requirement, for anyone who is interested. Gargantuan dynamic range.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #222 of 1,331
You have to take into consideration how much amp pairing affects the perception of bass quantity and quality. Any comparison of headphones requires the amp paired to be mentioned, because it matters a lot more than many users, especially those new to the hobby, realize. The Sundara produced thunderous, head-vibrating transients peaking between 16hz and 25hz from the movie How to Train Your Dragon, out of the Crown XLS 1502. A very, very visceral experience. It has just the right amount of midbass thickness out of my Crown XLS 1502, and much more than out of my analytical Drop THX 789. Occasionally, a deep male voice can even sound bloomy, but I attribute this more to the recording than the system. The slight roll off I have covered with EQ. Been enjoying a lot of EDM with it—thick and slammy, but still dynamic and punchy. I think the amount of bass is pretty accurate/realistic, and while I don't think more thickness would be unfavorable, I might consider it inaccurate/colored.

To pull things back on track...the Lyr+ might have to be used only as tube preamp into my XLS 1502 when tasked to produce those megalithic transients in the movie, because the XLS's indicator revealed that the Sundara was pulling well north of 4 watts per channel to produce those rumbles. My THX 789 (almost 5 watts into 37 ohms) would clip. This movie makes for an exceptional benchmark for headphone amp power requirement, for anyone who is interested. Gargantuan dynamic range.
Ahh ok, fair do. If the Sundara bass is ample for you then that's cool. But I just recall being slightly disappointed in the bass quantity of them. I would have called the Sundara slightly light on bass whereas the fuller (not bloated) bass of the XS being more accurate for a complete neutral sound across the board.... but then I'm, as you can see from my post count, certainly no expert!!
As for amp(s) at the time of comparing, apologies but I simply can't recall... suffice to say it was amoung an array of the usual beginner suspects - Cavalli Liquid Spark, Topping DX3 Pro+, ifi Zen Can, THX AAA 789... pretty sure it'll be one or two of these amps used. But that's going back some now. I just recall (using which ever amp(s) it was at the time) the difference was noticeable, in a good way... for me at least.

These days I am still pretty darn happy with my Lyr 3 (although the + version has got me v. interested!! - Hence my presence here) for pairing with the XS's - well, it's between the Lyr 3 for tube and NJC Audio Reference amp.

Anyway, back to the topic I suppose for all you lucky Lyr+ owners!! Sorry to have hijacked the thread momentarily and glad you (tigon) are happy with the Sundara's

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #223 of 1,331
I have been using it as a desktop amp. Since I sit down and up often, I can't wait 5-10 min for tube to warm up just to listen to 1-2 songs or a 5 min video. I may just remove the tube and run it solid state mode rather than turning it on and off 5+ times a day. Bummer that I ordered with a tube that I will not use that often.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #224 of 1,331
I have been using it as a desktop amp. Since I sit down and up often, I can't wait 5-10 min for tube to warm up just to listen to 1-2 songs or a 5 min video. I may just remove the tube and run it solid state mode rather than turning it on and off 5+ times a day. Bummer that I ordered with a tube that I will not use that often.
Don't forget that these tubes have a life expectancy of way more than 5.000 hrs. before degrading in a noticable or audible way. On different forums they even mention double that amount. On the Bottlehead forum people claim lifespans of more than 20.000 hrs. A conservative estimate of 5.000 hrs. would mean that running it for 8 hours a day, five days a weak, 48 weeks a year it will last well over two years. And after those two years you can simply replace it with another one. Probably won't cost you more than $50.. Just leave it in and the amp on.. Don't worry.. Just enjoy.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #225 of 1,331
Don't forget that these tubes have a life expectancy of way more than 5.000 hrs. before degrading in a noticable or audible way. On different forums they even mention double that amount. On the Bottlhead forum people claim lifespans of more than 20.000 hrs. A conservative estimate of 5.000 hrs. would mean that running it for 8 hours a day, five days a weak, 48 weeks a year it will last well over two years. And after those two years you can simply replace it with another one. Probably won't cost you more than $50.. Just leave it in and the amp on.. Don't worry.. Just enjoy.
The other option is remove the tube but reinstall for those few long term listening sessions. since Covid I’ve been enjoying online concerts. I hope they remain a viable option. No parking issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back