Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #197 of 1,331
Has anyone used the Globe style E-Linlai 6SN7?

https://www.vivatubes.com/new-linlai-e-6sn7-globe-balloon-black-plates-vacuum-tube/

E-6SN7.jpg

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #198 of 1,331
Mine just arrived. Is it supposed to be quiet on Low gain with 300 Ohm headphones? Seems the 330mW Magni was louder. Even on high gain, at 12 oclock it's very quiet. Both solid state and tube. Unless the volume on this needs to go further. But at 2 o'clock High gain is where it's at my older Magni was at 10-11. As long as it's normal, I am fine.
This is normal. Lyr+ has a ladder relay attenuator vs a potentiometer which is the distinct difference here. Attenuator will give you equal channel balance at low volumes and pots have to be turned up to specific point before you get equal channel balance. You just have a ton of headroom now, so turn it up.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #200 of 1,331
Really hoping to get a bit of advice here..

I am currently using a DX7 DAC/Amp combo (which I really really love) but have been wanting to jump into harder to drive headphones like the LCD-4 or HE6 so am going down the path of looking for something with more juice. <snip>
While I'm really enjoying the Lyr+, it doesn't have the current to drive the HE-6. Years ago a kind Head-fier loaned me her HE-6. The Lyr OG sorta kinda drove them, but IIRC the detail retrieval for which the HE-6 are rightly hailed was missing, and the overall sound was rather anemic. Then I made a cable to hook them up to my Emotiva Fusion Flex amp, going both directly from the multibit Bifrost (OG upgraded by Schiit) and using the Lyr OG's preamp out. The result was such that, had I had the funds then, I would have bought an HE-6 (already had the HE-500 and HE-560).

TLDR: inefficient planar magnetics really need current to shine.

Later I bought an HE-5LE at a nice price. It's a fairly inefficient model. The Lyr OG can drive them pretty well, but the Lyr+ on high gain can't really do them justice. I had the Lyr+ set at around 3 o'clock on the volume knob and wasn't impressed. Then I recalled the cable I made, so I hooked them up to the Flex amp, again directly and using the Lyr+ preamp out (tube and solid state). It made a night and day difference. The tube (a 'GE' 7N7 via an adapter; probably a Sylvania, as I read they made most 7N7s) gave the presentation that nice tubeyness, with more oomph to the bass, at the cost of slightly recessed mids, but still overall a ton of fun. The Lyr+ in solid state mode refined the sound a bit, but still had extra impact, esp. compared to bypassing the Lyr+ and running Bifrost to Flex. No combination was bad, just different. In the end, I really liked the Lyr+ preamp with tube, and had an absolutely magical experience with a couple favorite tunes. The HE-5LE really opened up with great detail and fantastic imaging. Holographic.

I'm curious to try the HE-560 and HE-500 via the Flex. They're more efficient, but may benefit. The Arya are fine with the Lyr+, as are my Elex.

The preamp out on the Lyr+, as with the amp itself, is head and shoulders above the Lyr OG (no surprise there). I've got adapters for quite a few tube types that should work in the Lyr+. How well remains to be seen, but I'm set to roll for years, just as I was with the Lyr OG, and I still haven't really compared tube to solid state.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #201 of 1,331
While I'm really enjoying the Lyr+, it doesn't have the current to drive the HE-6. Years ago a kind Head-fier loaned me her HE-6. The Lyr OG sorta kinda drove them, but IIRC the detail retrieval for which the HE-6 are rightly hailed was missing, and the overall sound was rather anemic. Then I made a cable to hook them up to my Emotiva Fusion Flex amp, going both directly from the multibit Bifrost (OG upgraded by Schiit) and using the Lyr OG's preamp out. The result was such that, had I had the funds then, I would have bought an HE-6 (already had the HE-500 and HE-560).

TLDR: inefficient planar magnetics really need current to shine.

Later I bought an HE-5LE at a nice price. It's a fairly inefficient model. The Lyr OG can drive them pretty well, but the Lyr+ on high gain can't really do them justice. I had the Lyr+ set at around 3 o'clock on the volume knob and wasn't impressed. Then I recalled the cable I made, so I hooked them up to the Flex amp, again directly and using the Lyr+ preamp out (tube and solid state). It made a night and day difference. The tube (a 'GE' 7N7 via an adapter; probably a Sylvania, as I read they made most 7N7s) gave the presentation that nice tubeyness, with more oomph to the bass, at the cost of slightly recessed mids, but still overall a ton of fun. The Lyr+ in solid state mode refined the sound a bit, but still had extra impact, esp. compared to bypassing the Lyr+ and running Bifrost to Flex. No combination was bad, just different. In the end, I really liked the Lyr+ preamp with tube, and had an absolutely magical experience with a couple favorite tunes. The HE-5LE really opened up with great detail and fantastic imaging. Holographic.

I'm curious to try the HE-560 and HE-500 via the Flex. They're more efficient, but may benefit. The Arya are fine with the Lyr+, as are my Elex.

The preamp out on the Lyr+, as with the amp itself, is head and shoulders above the Lyr OG (no surprise there). I've got adapters for quite a few tube types that should work in the Lyr+. How well remains to be seen, but I'm set to roll for years, just as I was with the Lyr OG, and I still haven't really compared tube to solid state.
Interesting.. I’ve read that some headphones need current, not just watts. Is there any amp you recommend that isn’t a speaker amp that can do Justice to something like a he6 but still be a table sized desktop amp? Do you think the Lyr+ would be ample to something like an LCD4?

Fwiw, I have a lyr+ on order. Decided I want to give it a try.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #202 of 1,331
Interesting.. I’ve read that some headphones need current, not just watts. Is there any amp you recommend that isn’t a speaker amp that can do Justice to something like a he6 but still be a table sized desktop amp? Do you think the Lyr+ would be ample to something like an LCD4?

Fwiw, I have a lyr+ on order. Decided I want to give it a try.
HiFiMan makes/made an amp that can drive it (EF-6? you could check)., but I've never heard it. I'm sure others will chime in with alternatives. You might search Head-Fi for the HE-6 thread. I can recall lots of posts about this topic. That's where the idea to use a speaker amp came from. Sorry, not familiar with the LCD4. If you compare the specs with the HE-6 (esp. impedance and efficiency) you can get some idea.

I looked at the latest revision of the HE-6 (SE v2) which can be had for $549 from Adorama (same via Amazon). I think the specs are the same or close to the original. I checked the classifieds here the other day and didn't find any on offer, and the latest sales were over $1500. While I could afford the new version, the reviews of the headband put me off, and really, how much $$$ does Fang need from me?? :wink:

If you do get any version of the HE-6, I'd be curious to hear your impressions of it via the Lyr+.

There's at least one review here:
https://www.adorama.com/r/hmhe6sev2-reviews
that mentions amps for the HE-6 SEv2

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #203 of 1,331
HiFiMan makes/made an amp that can drive it (EF-6? you could check)., but I've never heard it. I'm sure others will chime in with alternatives. You might search Head-Fi for the HE-6 thread. I can recall lots of posts about this topic. That's where the idea to use a speaker amp came from. Sorry, not familiar with the LCD4. If you compare the specs with the HE-6 (esp. impedance and efficiency) you can get some idea.

I looked at the latest revision of the HE-6 (SE v2) which can be had for $549 from Adorama (same via Amazon). I think the specs are the same or close to the original. I checked the classifieds here the other day and didn't find any on offer, and the latest sales were over $1500. While I could afford the new version, the reviews of the headband put me off, and really, how much $$$ does Fang need from me?? :wink:

If you do get any version of the HE-6, I'd be curious to hear your impressions of it via the Lyr+.

There's at least one review here:
https://www.adorama.com/r/hmhe6sev2-reviews
that mentions amps for the HE-6 SEv2
Yeah I’ve heard HE6se on the EF400 and didn’t like it that much even though it drove it very easily (about 10oclock).. then I heard it on a Wells Audio Milo and it was incredible.. night and day difference… but yeah.. headphone is quite uncomfortable and requires mods. I do think it’s worth the effort though since it sounds soo good with the right amp. LCD4 should be much easier to drive.. I heard one on an IFi portable amp and it was outstanding.. I’m sure the Lyr can drive it with no issues.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #204 of 1,331
then I heard it on a Wells Audio Milo and it was incredible..
I was hooked when I heard the ZMF Caldera on the Milo!
Usually, I am a tube amp guy, but I am definitely making an exception with the Milo :L3000:

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #205 of 1,331
Hey all, I'm now far enough into this crazy hobby that I figured it was time to stop lurking.
I recently relocated to LA for work so of course I scheduled a pilgrimage to the Schittr. It was a blast. I had picked up my Modi/Magni Heresy stack almost exactly a year back and was firmly an objectivist until I heard a friend's tube amp.

Listened to a lot of stuff (including the Folkvanger... let's just say it was very good for my wallet's sake that they're out of the USA-plug run. It is fantastic) and had been waffling between the Valhalla and Lyr+. The Valhalla seemed a bit more "tube-y" to my very novice ears, and I have found myself preferring that sound over the crisper signature you tend to get from digital.

What ultimately swayed me to the Lyr+ was, of all things, an old recording of Billie Jean. The older masters of a lot of stuff seems to have more dynamic range these days, and I was specifically caught out by the trumpet line about 1:12 into the song. That specifically made the tingly pins-and-needles sensation wash over me.

I don't know what it is about my ears but a lot of high-end stuff (high vocals, cymbals, etc) that sound great to a lot of people sound harsh to me. This little trumpet lick made me turn up the volume and listen to a bunch of stuff, focusing on the high-end. I pulled out a very different and much more recent song ("True Lovers" by Holy Holy) and again was really caught up by how clear the cymbals were without being harsh, or "crunchy".

I walked out with the Lyr+ in silver in the end.

Lyr+ so far (with the included tube) has found this very lovely balance of resolution and warmth in sound for me. Now I'm trying to fight off the desire to get into tube rolling, at least for the rest of the year. But the 6SN7-SE "Tennis Ball" looks real enticing...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #206 of 1,331
I don't know what it is about my ears but a lot of high-end stuff (high vocals, cymbals, etc) that sound great to a lot of people sound harsh to me.
I'm the same way. I think it's part of why I like vinyl so much. It forces the mastering engineer to tame the sibilant frequencies (if they don't, the record won't be tracked properly on playback).

I remember listening to that infamous DSD recording of Billie Jean and thinking "ouch ooh ouch!". That one, or at least the flac rip I had, has pretty harsh sibilant frequencies, possibly at least in part due to clipping, since it was mastered hot and you have to take care when converting the DSD to PCM.

Nov 14, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #207 of 1,331
<snip>Now I'm trying to fight off the desire to get into tube rolling, at least for the rest of the year.
That's a noble goal. Entirely futile, of course. I shudder thinking about rolling with the Folkvangr.

Have you done any comparisons between tube and solid state?

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #208 of 1,331
I don't know what it is about my ears but a lot of high-end stuff (high vocals, cymbals, etc) that sound great to a lot of people sound harsh to me. This little trumpet lick made me turn up the volume and listen to a bunch of stuff, focusing on the high-end. I pulled out a very different and much more recent song ("True Lovers" by Holy Holy) and again was really caught up by how clear the cymbals were without being harsh, or "crunchy".
Not just you, my friend. I find that a lot of high-end equipment (for both speakers and headphones) sounds too bright and harsh to be enjoyable. There seems to be this 'audiophile' sound that many companies strive for - a sound that's bright, super-detailed and incisive. I don't like that type of sound so when I find reasonably priced equipment that sounds enjoyable I get very happy. It sounds like you found your happy place with the Lyr+, so enjoy! (I do recommend the Psvane 'tennis ball' tube, though.)

Nov 14, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #209 of 1,331
That's a noble goal. Entirely futile, of course. I shudder thinking about rolling with the Folkvangr.

Have you done any comparisons between tube and solid state?
I actually am still mostly packed up from my move so my magni heresy is somewhere five boxes deep in the back. I can tell you that the heresy is much, how would I put it, "faster?" "livelier?" but you don't have any of the warmth that you get from tubes of course. The problem for me is that Magni can be so fast it feels almost like it overshoots on transients -- like a sprinter trying to come to a sudden stop -- and I think that is what contributes to that harsh sensation for me.

I enjoy the power and headroom that magni gives to my headphones, but I stayed up nearly past midnight last night just listening to tracks on the Lyr. The magni never quite enticed me to that degree.

The listening mode between tube and MOSFET on the Lyr+ is subtle but there. Its more clinical, perhaps, but very close. I'm glad I have it because I have absolutely zero other tubes than the one that came with it. I was definitely the target audience.

I could see myself switching to it if I'm using it as a computer audio output and I'm doing something like WebEx meetings or video chats and I don't want to waste my tube listening to 60kbps audio that came from built-in laptop microphones and then had the background noise artificially removed.

It's a shame that they couldn't figure out the holy Grail circuit of "just pull out the tube and it instantly switches" but I don't fault anyone for basically running into limitations of physics.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #210 of 1,331
It's a shame that they couldn't figure out the holy Grail circuit of "just pull out the tube and it instantly switches" but I don't fault anyone for basically running into limitations of physics.
There are significantly fewer burnt fingers as a result of this limitation. Can you imagine how many people would just have to try it to believe it? And instantly regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back