Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #1,066 of 1,331
Assuming you’re referring to the orange glow, that's what happens after leaving it on for a week straight. Had to take it out with forceps.

In all seriousness, that’s a usb salt lamp. Makes the sound more palatable.
was actually talking about your tube, thought it looked more like a light bulb.

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #1,067 of 1,331
I use wine corks (natural cork) divided into 1/3rdS. Put a dab of blu-tack and you're good to go.
i would not be too happy having to pay postage from uk, if it were me.
especially if it was more than once.
still fancy the Lyr though despite all this

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #1,068 of 1,331
Quick question for anyone hanging around: Have any of you had a lyr+ for more than a few months and it's still going strong with no issues? Only really seeing negative stories in here.

I'm looking to move from my a90d. I've had two die on me in the last year so I'm a bit hesitant to get into something else that will also break early. If the answer is no to my question, I may end up with a jotunheim 2. Though it seems the lyr+ would be a slightly better fit for my preferences of detail retrieval and imaging. Any insight at all would be super appreciated!
I have had mine since spring and listen to it frequently with no problems. I really like and enjoy the Lyr+

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #1,069 of 1,331
hey for some of yall who got your Lyr+'s repaired how long did the turn around time take?

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #1,070 of 1,331
hey for some of yall who got your Lyr+'s repaired how long did the turn around time take?

Oh geez, hard to remember. Like maybe a week? Probably like ten days with shipping.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,071 of 1,331
hmm still waiting to hear back from them about my repair, they got it like on the 15th. Still waiting for anything.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #1,072 of 1,331
hmm still waiting to hear back from them about my repair, they got it like on the 15th. Still waiting for anything.

They might be busier with the holidays and close-out sales.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #1,073 of 1,331
They might be busier with the holidays and close-out sales.
Yeah i’m giving them the benefit of the doubt cause of the holidays but would be nice to hear something. 😩

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,074 of 1,331
Yeah i’m giving them the benefit of the doubt cause of the holidays but would be nice to hear something. 😩
I had mine repaired and I recall it took about a week + shipping time from Ohio and back. The unit has been solid as a rock since I've had it back. I've put loooots of hours on it and it's been running like a champ. I have a feeling that the units may have some problematic components that are being swapped out for better ones during the repair process (just a guess). It's very strange that so many people are reporting their units getting fried (mine including) but then they seem to be pretty solid afterwards once repaired.

If you ever get a chance.. try pairing this Amp with Hifiman's EF400 as a DAC. Crazy good combo and beats other things I've tried that cost upwards of $2000 .. weird but freaky magical good combo for an absurdly low price (about $300 on sale from Hifiman).

Also, not sure what tubes you're using... the tube they're including with the amp is actually pretty bad... I recommend a UK-6SN7 PSVane (for a super clean, clear sound with hints of tubeness) or a CV181-T mk2 (for a thicker lusher more tubey sound). Both options are infinitely better than the 6SN7GTB they're shipping as the addon which I feel is just a total waste of money with this particular amp (I do feel it may be good in some other amps however, just not the Lyr+)..

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,075 of 1,331
Just replaced the Hagerman Tuba [w/2x Russian 6N14N] with the LYR+ [w/CBS-JAN-CHY 5692].
This time around I prefer the MM-500 paired with the Schiit. Not as exacting [or sharp-tending] as when heard through the Tuba, but presented with a fuller, rounder tonality and really firm and nicely warm/natural bass support from the LYR+. A better complement for the Audeze.
Could be the double triode, too, for which I have had a longstanding affinity [and from which I have had an extended pause].

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,076 of 1,331
Just received my LYR+ and even though it has a bigger power output compared to my SMSL SP200, it doesn't get even as loud as the SP200 with the Susvara. Is it me or does it feel like it's underpowered compared to the spec sheet ? Am I missing a feature ? (btw yes, I'm at 100% volume everywhere and high gain)

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,077 of 1,331
Just received my LYR+ and even though it has a bigger power output compared to my SMSL SP200, it doesn't get even as loud as the SP200 with the Susvara. Is it me or does it feel like it's underpowered compared to the spec sheet ? Am I missing a feature ? (btw yes, I'm at 100% volume everywhere and high gain)
That sounds very odd to me. My Arya (og power hungry Arya) gets very loud at around 2' oclock. The Lyr+ is designed to provide incrementally more and more power the closer you get to 100% volume (meaning the volume increase from 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock position isn't nearly as much change as going from 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock). I would imagine that being maxed out on the Lyr should be driving even the Susvara at deafening levels. Is that not the case? Even my Topping DX7 (og) could get very loud volumes out of the Susvara and that amp is a power output baby compared to the Lyr+. I wonder if you have a software issue (PC or app volume turned down or something weird lowering the signal of your source?). I would expect Lyr+ to drive the Susvara at least volume wise with excellent results. Unfortunately I no longer have a Susvara on hand or I'd plug it in and let you know my own results..

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #1,078 of 1,331
That sounds very odd to me. My Arya (og power hungry Arya) gets very loud at around 2' oclock. The Lyr+ is designed to provide incrementally more and more power the closer you get to 100% volume (meaning the volume increase from 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock position isn't nearly as much change as going from 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock). I would imagine that being maxed out on the Lyr should be driving even the Susvara at deafening levels. Is that not the case? Even my Topping DX7 (og) could get very loud volumes out of the Susvara and that amp is a power output baby compared to the Lyr+. I wonder if you have a software issue (PC or app volume turned down or something weird lowering the signal of your source?). I would expect Lyr+ to drive the Susvara at least volume wise with excellent results. Unfortunately I no longer have a Susvara on hand or I'd plug it in and let you know my own results..
I tried a ifi black label and Topping E50.

The E50 is connected to the SMSL SP200 which almost get the sus to deafening levels for a 3W at 32Ohms even with a preamp of -10db.

Same everything compared to the SP200, just switching RCA from SP200 to Lyr+ and it doesn't get as loud maxed out and it's supposed to do 6W at 32Ohms.

Edit : Thought it was all good but I was on the SP200 -_-

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,079 of 1,331
I tried a ifi black label and Topping E50.

The E50 is connected to the SMSL SP200 which almost get the sus to deafening levels for a 3W at 32Ohms even with a preamp of -10db.

Same everything compared to the SP200, just switching RCA from SP200 to Lyr+ and it doesn't get as loud maxed out and it's supposed to do 6W at 32Ohms.
Something aint right. The Lyr+ is a very powerful device. Let's just say that I would NEVER dare to turn it to 100% and play music with any headphone on my head because it is my honest belief that I would instantly lose my hearing forever if i were to try that and probably blow the drivers of my headphone as well. That goes even for having the Susvara connected. I am cautious to say that your unit sounds like it may have a defect but idk if I'd rule that out. Other than Susvara, do you have any other headphones? Do any of them power well with your Lyr+ ?

Do you get similar results whether you run the Lyr in tube vs ss mode? Just curious if any change can be observed in one mode vs the other.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,080 of 1,331
I have the Arya Stealth model and find it gets plenty loud at 1-2 o'clock with a modern mastering of "rock" music, and rarely do I push any recording past 2 o'clock.

These specs from the HFM site caught my eye, though:

Arya
Impedance : 35 Ohms
Sensitivity : 90db

Arya Stealth Magnets
Impedance : 32 Ohms
Sensitivity : 94dB

Susvara
Impedance : 60 Ohms
Sensitivity : 83dB

My really old, inefficient HFM (esp. HE-5 LE) definitely struggle to get loud even at 3 o'clock. IIRC, that makes the Susvara even harder to drive, so I'm not surprised by @timsams results. And it's definitely something in the design of the Lyr+, as my new Hel+ on high gain can get the HE-5 LE painfully loud.

All that in tube mode, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back