Schiit Loki Mini, EQ down or up?
Aug 30, 2023 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dstarr3

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello, all. I have a new Schiit stack at my office, consisting of the Modi Multibit 2, the Magni Piety, and a Loki Mini in the middle. I'm plenty familiar with EQ'ing on PC with EqualizerAPO and Peace, I just don't have Admin on my work PC to install those softwares here, thus the Loki Mini. And I'm familiar with the concept of EQ'ing down being preferable to EQ'ing up, which is to say, if I want a +5db bass shelf starting at 100hz, the ideal way to do that is actually to apply a -5db shelf to everything above 100hz. This way, there's no distortion or clipping. Does a similar concept apply here? If I want more bass, should I turn the other knobs down as opposed to turning the bass knob up?

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 3
Hello, all. I have a new Schiit stack at my office, consisting of the Modi Multibit 2, the Magni Piety, and a Loki Mini in the middle. I'm plenty familiar with EQ'ing on PC with EqualizerAPO and Peace, I just don't have Admin on my work PC to install those softwares here, thus the Loki Mini. And I'm familiar with the concept of EQ'ing down being preferable to EQ'ing up, which is to say, if I want a +5db bass shelf starting at 100hz, the ideal way to do that is actually to apply a -5db shelf to everything above 100hz. This way, there's no distortion or clipping. Does a similar concept apply here? If I want more bass, should I turn the other knobs down as opposed to turning the bass knob up?
I would argue yes.

Since the Schiit Loki Mini is an active analog EQ, if you intend to accentuate a particular frequency range then theoretically you would induce less distortion/noise by amplifying the frequencies you're not interested in less (i.e. by EQ'ing those frequencies lower) than you would by amplifying the frequencies you want more. The idea is more or less the same with any amp where you get rising distortion with power. Just in this case, you're only amplifying a specific frequency band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back