Schiit Loki Max Impressions
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #256 of 262
@Jason Stoddard question for you if you please. I'm a very happy owner of a Mjolnir-3 and a Vidar-2. I am considering adding a Lokius to my stack. In your FAQ for the Lokius you write "Lokius is an inductor-capacitor equalizer. Meaning it uses inductors. Inductors are coils of wire. Think of them like little antennas. They will pick up stray magnetic field from other components if they are too close." And in the FAQ for the Vidar-2 you write "It has serious power reserves, with a 600VA transformer and 40,000uF of filter capacitance..."

Due to the limitations of my space, the Lokius would have to sit next to (not on top of) the Vidar 2, maybe 3-4" of clear space between them. Is that what you'd consider too close? Thanks in advance.

Yggy+OG with risers.jpg
I have a Yggy+ OG with Lokius stacked on top (refer to attached picture. I have a Mjolnir 3 (MJ3) separated from the Lokius using a monitor stand. On top of the MJ3 I use another monitor stand and I have a Folkvanger tube amp. I have no whine audible whine with my current setup.

I am contemplating buying the Loki Max so I can stack all aforementioned components, I hope decreased spacing with removing the monitor stands does not produce the audible whine.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #257 of 262
I never did pull the trigger on getting the Lokius, but now I'm strongly considering the Loki Max. The only thing that is stopping me is where I can fit it in my home office. My space is limited to a Loki Max sitting directly underneath the Mjolnir-3 (see pic below). On the Loki Max FAQ Jason writes "those inductors are also large and may pick up hum from other components that have transformers in them (the solution is to not stack Loki Max directly on top of other components with transformers, easy as that.)"

I searched this thread and didn't see any one complaining about picking up transformer hum, but most likely no one is stacking something like a MJ3 directly on top of it. I did see a photo of by @PoMarantz (post 126) stacking a Freya+ on top of the Loki Max but no comment either way about hum or lack of.

Does anyone have any experience with stacking their Loki Max directly underneath an amp/preamp? If so, did it work or were their problems? I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Attachments

• schiit rack.jpg
    schiit rack.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #260 of 262
I should be receiving a new MX112 sometime next week.
I'll compare it to my Loki Max and keep the EQ I prefer.
Awesome. Assuming you mean MQ112. Look forward to your comparisons. I’ve briefly had the Loki Max. Didn’t like for bass or treble boosts. Indulge me and compare the two for a flat record doing about 8 db boost treble. About 6 db bass. Tell me that you think. Can’t seem to demo one anywhere. You’ll be my ears here. Yes, am aware MQ112 tops out at 10 k. That COULD work in a boost situation. Maybe.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #261 of 262
I've had my Loki Max for 2 weeks now. My setup chain is Chord Qutest->Loki Max->Mjolinar3->(Meze Elites or Vidar2->Klipsch R-5800 + REL T/5x). I use Roon to stream, most music sitting on a Synology NAS. I can sum up the Loki Max in one word "fun". It is very helpful in correcting recordings, but really only at the album level. Why? Because you can go a bit crazy trying to tweak every song in a playlist. When using playlists I disable the EQ, otherwise I spend too much time tweaking and not listening. But put on an album, make a few adjustments and get the music just the way you want it.

One thing I've learned, I can't hear anything at or above the 16khz band anymore. I always had a pretty good idea my hearing was going, the Loki has confirmed it. I don't bother with the right most nob anymore as it has no affect on me. :slight_frown: I listened to a lot of concert recordings, mostly Dead shows that are 40+ years old. The Loki has really helped on these as the recordings have many warts that I can fix somewhat or at least make them a bit better.

So yes, the Loki Max is FUN. That's good enough for me.

Attachments

• OfficeStack.jpg
    OfficeStack.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #262 of 262
I really wanted to love the MQ112. I liked the 8 band of adjustment but...........when in EQ mode or bypassed it attenuated some subtle cymbals and percussion on tracks I know very well.

I went through 3 pairs of tubes and ended with my most detailed pair and even using them it was faint to nearly gone. I tried to dial in the highs using the 1K, 3K, 10K bands but it bugs me that i know this is audible with the Max in EQ mode or bypassed.

I swapped the Max back in and those cymbals ARE there!

Oh well, Back to the dealer and $3K back into my pocket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back