Schiit Loki Max Impressions
Jun 3, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #227 of 263
So how does it work?

When I turn the knob to center position, then I adjust the EQ with remote control to the max (+15dB), and then I turn the knob again, does it adjust from 0dB (center position) or +15dB?
The knob moves when you use the remote. They are motorized.

Jun 5, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #230 of 263
Ther

There are 3 presets. I set preset 1 to bring all the controls back to 12 o'clock. (Zero)
My Preset 2 pulls the treble back.
My preset 3 pulls the bass back.
You can set your presets any way that you please.
I LOVE my Loki Max!!!
Never thought I would use a EQ with my system. I love my Loki MAX. It's on standby most of the time, but when I need it, I love the way it tailors the sound without making things sound artificial

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #231 of 263
Never thought I would use a EQ with my system. I love my Loki MAX. It's on standby most of the time, but when I need it, I love the way it tailors the sound without making things sound artificial
I seem to have my system dialed in pretty well…so I don’t use the Loki Max that often, either…but when I do use it, it performs great…..The adjustment range is not heavy-handed. It’s just so nice to know that you have it in the system just in case you need it. It allows you to enjoy music more that you might have had a less than favorable impression of, otherwise. I just love mine!

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #232 of 263
me also, expensive... but I hope it'll work for many years to come. XLR with it, RCA without. Have it in neutral mostly but when a bad recording shows up it's quickly fixed, some albums or HPs are EQed always and then it helps to balance out my moods some days.
DACs more and more will have filters, upsampling options and presets... like WANDLA or T+A HA 200. For those not using a PC.
EQing big, change HP or gear though...

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #233 of 263
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #234 of 263
I am sorry to say the Loki Max compares unfavorably to my professional analog hardware Charter Oak PEQ1. It will be returned. It certainly is quite transparent in the bypass and flat modes, but it cannot handle any significant amount of boost without missing something compared to the more expensive designed for studio mastering Charter Oak. It just is flatter and less musical than the CO, simply put. I’m not saying it’s bad. It’s just not that good. Furthermore, i own a Chord Mojo2 with 104 bit lossless processing and that device bested the Loki Max as well. By an obvious and considerable margin.

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #235 of 263
I am sorry to say the Loki Max compares unfavorably to my professional analog hardware Charter Oak PEQ1. It will be returned. It certainly is quite transparent in the bypass and flat modes, but it cannot handle any significant amount of boost without missing something compared to the more expensive designed for studio mastering Charter Oak. It just is flatter and less musical than the CO, simply put. I’m not saying it’s bad. It’s just not that good. Furthermore, i own a Chord Mojo2 with 104 bit lossless processing and that device bested the Loki Max as well. By an obvious and considerable margin.
Thx for the comparisons.
Never heard about the Charter Oak PEQ1 before.

Seems to be just as crazy as the Loki Max.
2200€ for an analog 6 Band EQ.

The only thing that confuses me is the name. Why is it called PEQ if it's no parametric EQ?
Did I miss something?

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #236 of 263
Thx for the comparisons.
Never heard about the Charter Oak PEQ1 before.

Seems to be just as crazy as the Loki Max.
2200€ for an analog 6 Band EQ.

The only thing that confuses me is the name. Why is it called PEQ if it's no parametric EQ?
Did I miss something?
Can only say it’s pseudo parametric, center frequency choices switchable beneath dials. Ultimately you’ve got like 18 center frequency choices. But Q is not adjustable so not truly parametric. I LOVE its sound though! Highly musical and addictive!

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #237 of 263
Can only say it’s pseudo parametric, center frequency choices switchable beneath dials. Ultimately you’ve got like 18 center frequency choices. But Q is not adjustable so not truly parametric. I LOVE its sound though! Highly musical and addictive!
Highs are so so smooth and sweet with very liquid mids. Again highly musical unit. Plays very very well with hi fi gear, even though intended for studio mastering.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #238 of 263
Hello after a bit of info so I posted here instead of the Schiit Lokius older thread.
I have ordered a schiit Lokius & will be connecting it in balanced mode to topping a90 descrete amp using xlr cables & my astell&kern sp1000m using the 2.5 balanced jack. I have been told to connect the 2.5/xlr balance cable from astell&kern output to the xlr input of the Lokius & then use a xlr cable out of the Lokius to the xlr input of the a90 descrete. Would that be correct or not. Thanks for any replies as I have never owned an equalizer before & unsure how to connect it.

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #239 of 263
I haven’t gone through all the posts here so if this has been addressed here before I apologize. The one thing I would change on my Loki Max is the knobs. Impossible to see the center mark from my listening position. I would like to change them out but I’m afraid I might damage it if I just pry them off. Has anyone done this? Also, what size is the knob shaft?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back