Schiit Jotunheim vs Aune S6 for Monolith M1060

Schiit Jotunheim vs Aune S6

• Total voters
May 7, 2017 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bkido

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm currently looking for a DAC/Amp for home. In the office I already use a Chord Mojo with Noble 6 IEMs and Beyerdynamic DT-1770 that I also take home from time to time. At home I just got my new Monolith M1060 and I already ordered a custom balanced cable for them. So I'm looking for a balanced DAC/Amp for those and also as Preamp for my KRK Rokit 8 Monitors that should also be connected balanced (XLR). In my research I already narrowed it down to the Schiit Jotunheim or the Aune S6 but I can't really decide betweet those and wanted to ask you what you would choose in my situation or if you would recommend something else than those two.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 6
What about the Amp-Power of the S6. I've read that the Power could be not enough for some Planars.

May 9, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 6
I decided now to go with the Jotunheim. With the Aune S6 I was just not sure about the power the amp can supply - also for future headphones - and i prefer the analog volume control on the Jot. The DAC of the Jotunheim may be not as good as the S6 but if I feel the need I can still get a better DAC or just use my Chord Mojo as a DAC. And maybe one day Schiit will come up with a better - maybe multibit - module for the Jot.

May 9, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 6
I decided now to go with the Jotunheim. With the Aune S6 I was just not sure about the power the amp can supply - also for future headphones - and i prefer the analog volume control on the Jot. The DAC of the Jotunheim may be not as good as the S6 but if I feel the need I can still get a better DAC or just use my Chord Mojo as a DAC. And maybe one day Schiit will come up with a better - maybe multibit - module for the Jot.

Can't go wrong with Mojo + Jot for sure. Mojo's warmth on the bass will offset Jot's neutrality signature. Schiit Multibit's DAC though is a slight departure from Mojo and if you're used to Mojo, you might feel that Schiit Multibit sounds "more forceful"

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 6

The Jot with balanced DAC ( $100.00 extra ) is the way to go. Buy product(s )made in USA so should the product(s) arrives defective, you do not have to go thru the run around from the Chinese seller(s). Plus, you don't have to wait 8 weeks up to 2 months to receive the product(s). With five years warranty from Schitt Audio and you do not have to send the unit oversea for repair plus it may come back with NPF ( No problem found). I've dealing with Schitt Audio for several years now. Their customer service is top notch, Ie. One of the driver tube of my Vahalla was defective when I received the Vahalla. Linda from Schitt Audio sent me the whole package of four tubes in a week time. I offered to send the remainder three new tubes back. Linda told me to keep them.

I bought the Aunne X7s from Penon Audio since Amazon stops carrying them and right out of the box, it hums loudly. I reset the manufacture Max setting at 25db gain down to 15 db gain, the POS still hums. At 0 db, it stops hummimg but then I have no sound unless I crank the volume control pass 12 o'clock to have some decent sound. At the same token, with my Aune X1s, I have never had to dial it up to 11 o'clock and that is too loud.

Aune refuses that any of their X7s has hum. Penon audio, the seller is no help either. I end up list the 2 days old Aune X7s for sale at $150.00.

Don't buy into the hype. Take any reviews with grain of salt. I am a seasoned audiophile since the 70s and I know what I am saying. If you have to have the Chinese product(s) , buy it thru Amazon with the 30 days money back policy. Don't buy from an oversea third party via Amazon. You have been warned for your own sake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back