Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,641 of 2,952
I wonder if there is a Jot 3 on the horizon, since it's been just over two years since the 2 released. It's a small thing but I really wish switching the Preamp on would cut off the HP output since I frequently switch back and forth to my desktop speakers. Wonder if that would ever get implemented on a future revision.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #2,642 of 2,952
I wonder if there is a Jot 3 on the horizon, since it's been just over two years since the 2 released. It's a small thing but I really wish switching the Preamp on would cut off the HP output since I frequently switch back and forth to my desktop speakers. Wonder if that would ever get implemented on a future revision.
There was around 4 years between the first 2 Jots, so I reckon a Jot3 might be a couple years away, especially considering the number of new features and upgrades introduced in Jot2.

Of course, @Jason Stoddard could prove me wrong and release a Jot3 tomorrow, but I suspect he’ll want to sweat the Jot2 for a few more years.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #2,643 of 2,952
Jason's latest chapter in Schiit happened mentions the Mjolnir 3 is in development right now. No mention of a new Jot yet.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #2,644 of 2,952

There was around 4 years between the first 2 Jots, so I reckon a Jot3 might be a couple years away, especially considering the number of new features and upgrades introduced in Jot2.

Of course, @Jason Stoddard could prove me wrong and release a Jot3 tomorrow, but I suspect he’ll want to sweat the Jot2 for a few more years.

They already added nexus and a version of continuity to it, there may not be much else they can do to it at this point and they don't change stuff just to change it. I don't think I would be holding my breath for a jot 3 to be coming anytime soon.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2,645 of 2,952
Does anyone use the Jot 2 to drive IEM's on the SE? I'm thinking of upping from my magnius to the jot 2 and it seems like a good all rounder amp for both my over ears and future IEM buys

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #2,646 of 2,952
Does anyone use the Jot 2 to drive IEM's on the SE? I'm thinking of upping from my magnius to the jot 2 and it seems like a good all rounder amp for both my over ears and future IEM buys
Contrary to Schiit's marketing materials, IEMS via SE in Low Gain on the Jot 2 is disappointing. The noise floor is very high and you will have hiss, unless you use an IEMatch.
Switching to the XLR out made the hiss go away but required some significant decrease in db via the Equalizer APO pre-amp to have any useable volume range.

TL/DR - Jot 2 SE to IEMs is noisy without IEMatch and offers little to no advantage SE over current set up of Magnius.

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #2,647 of 2,952
Contrary to Schiit's marketing materials, IEMS via SE in Low Gain on the Jot 2 is disappointing. The noise floor is very high and you will have hiss, unless you use an IEMatch.
Switching to the XLR out made the hiss go away but required some significant decrease in db via the Equalizer APO pre-amp to have any useable volume range.

TL/DR - Jot 2 SE to IEMs is noisy without IEMatch and offers little to no advantage SE over current set up of Magnius.
unfortunate, I imagine then that my magni heresy would be a better option currently? I'd like to consolidate down to just one desktop amp though, hopefully schitt produces a good balanced and SE amp at a decent price point, going to an RME for my new dac and IEM amp duty seems appealing though (the features it has are what draws me).

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,648 of 2,952
unfortunate, I imagine then that my magni heresy would be a better option currently? I'd like to consolidate down to just one desktop amp though, hopefully schitt produces a good balanced and SE amp at a decent price point, going to an RME for my new dac and IEM amp duty seems appealing though (the features it has are what draws me).
RME ADI-2 --> Jotunheim 2? :grin::eyes:

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #2,650 of 2,952
RME ADI-2 --> Jotunheim 2? :grin::eyes:
I enjoy my magnius a lot and tbh the only reason I even want to upgrade is to have more convenient features, which aren't needed just yet for me since I don't use monitors (don't want to bother roommates). I'm content to wait it out and let the line up mature and jump in when needed, I am getting a lot more into IEM's though since i'm on the go more now and I'd like to use a good sealing IEM when at my desk (don't want to hear my roommate type away). I'm also debating just getting a hart audio IEM cable and running IEM's balanced through my magnius, definitely a cheaper solution since i'm already very invested in that system and have most of the interconnects already.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #2,651 of 2,952

I found this with my Jot 2 and Sennheiser IE600 when trying SE and balanced. I was just experimenting though as I have a different amp for my IEMs as they are my portable setup. If your IEMs are SE only I’d avoid.

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #2,652 of 2,952

Yes, Jot2's SE leaves a bit to be desired, but you don't buy a Jot for it's SE anyways. :)

The SE can hiss a little, or a lot, depending on the IEM. I only use it when I'm not really paying much attention to music, eg when I'm on conference calls or meetings WFH.

But the balanced is something else. It really transforms how I hear the Sony IER-Z1R, and would do the same for pretty much any other DD or DD-hybrid IEM. I also finally got around to getting a balanced cable for my 64 Audio A12t a couple weeks ago, and was surprised what a difference it made to this all-BA set. I already rated that IEM 10/10, but with the further enhanced dynamic range with the Jot2, I guess it has to be 11.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,654 of 2,952
Hi, I have a Schiit Jotunheim ver Dac module and can i pair it with another pure Dac?
Yes. Connect the DAC to the Jotunheim either via RCA or XLR in the back. Note that Jot 1 has 2 switches and Jot 2 has 3 switches on the front panel. For both models, use the switch on the far left. Toggle the switch from DAC Module (top position) to either middle position (XLR input) or bottom position (RCA input) depending on how you want to connect the DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #2,655 of 2,952
Yes. Connect the DAC to the Jotunheim either via RCA or XLR in the back. Note that Jot 1 has 2 switches and Jot 2 has 3 switches on the front panel. For both models, use the switch on the far left. Toggle the switch from DAC Module (top position) to either middle position (XLR input) or bottom position (RCA input) depending on how you want to connect the DAC.
Thank you so much sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back