Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #2,596 of 2,954
Yeah the buzzing is there with no source connected, is uniform between low and high gain, and no impact even when I do connect a source, be it using the built in DAC or an external one, so seems like it’s the amp rather than being caused by source. Think it’ll have to go back to the seller, otherwise I’ll just avoid using it because of the noise.

Appreciate everyone’s input!
One last thing to try assuming this noise is present with any headphone. Take out the internal DAC to make sure the internal DAC is not causing the noise.

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #2,597 of 2,954
If you can return it...I would.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #2,598 of 2,954
Just a tip for everyone out there who ever tries to diagnose hums, buzz, static, etc... seemingly coming from a headphone setup. First thing I ever do is take steps to rule out the amp. Just take the amp and the headphone and walk to different rooms plugging into outlets in different parts of the house and listen with increased volume with no music. Maybe even take it to work or a relatives house if necessary. If the introduced annoying sound disappears, you at least can rule out the amp. The last time that I thought I may have had a bad amp, I followed the above steps which revealed that it was actually computer networking equipment that was causing interference to leak into my headphone setup.

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #2,599 of 2,954
Just a tip for everyone out there who ever tries to diagnose hums, buzz, static, etc... seemingly coming from a headphone setup. First thing I ever do is take steps to rule out the amp. Just take the amp and the headphone and walk to different rooms plugging into outlets in different parts of the house and listen with increased volume with no music. Maybe even take it to work or a relatives house if necessary. If the introduced annoying sound disappears, you at least can rule out the amp. The last time that I thought I may have had a bad amp, I followed the above steps which revealed that it was actually computer networking equipment that was causing interference to leak into my headphone setup.
I had a Swart guitar tube amp which I thought was noisy as hell, until discovering the UPS for my computer was causing all the noise. Granted, the amp was partially to blame, as another tube amp I use was entirely unaffected.

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #2,600 of 2,954
Can someone confirm this for me: with the preamp switch on the front of Jot2, are the headphones on all the time? Or does the headphone output turn off when switching to Preamp?

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #2,601 of 2,954
Can someone confirm this for me: with the preamp switch on the front of Jot2, are the headphones on all the time? Or does the headphone output turn off when switching to Preamp?
On all the time.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #2,602 of 2,954
Just took delivery of a new Jotunheim 2. The 1/4" jack seems to grab when removing any of my various headphones. I was wondering if this was normal for other users or if it is nothing more than new build tightness that will loosen up a hundred inserts/removals down the line. The pre-amp switch is loose but of no value to me, so I am trying to determine if this unit is abnormal and needs to go back.

Jan 8, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #2,603 of 2,954
Just took delivery of a new Jotunheim 2. The 1/4" jack seems to grab when removing any of my various headphones. I was wondering if this was normal for other users or if it is nothing more than new build tightness that will loosen up a hundred inserts/removals down the line. The pre-amp switch is loose but of no value to me, so I am trying to determine if this unit is abnormal and needs to go back.
Neither of those things sound right to me, especially a loose switch. The switches should feel tight & heavy, and switch with a very satisfying 'thunk'.

Maybe the 1/4" jack would loosen up over time, but with that switch issue I'd get in touch with Schiit.

Jan 8, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #2,604 of 2,954
Neither of those things sound right to me, especially a loose switch. The switches should feel tight & heavy, and switch with a very satisfying 'thunk'.

Maybe the 1/4" jack would loosen up over time, but with that switch issue I'd get in touch with Schiit.
I agree with Neweymatt

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #2,605 of 2,954
The pre-amp switch thing was clearly missed and doubtful anyone checked this unit after assembly. I discovered it seconds after pulling it from the box and it was very obvious. I immediately inquired with Schiit about it and whether this was something easily fixed on my end. The response was if I opened the unit to look then I void the warranty. They of course offered to exchange it, but it's 5 days shipping to CA, then "processing time", then 5 days back. I'd really rather they inspected these units before shipping them out versus having to give up a brand new unit for 3 weeks right after I've paid for it. Since I will likely never use the pre-amp feature, I am still debating.

However, and issue with the 1/4 inch jack is more concerning. I think it's only that the notch just inside the jack is more pronounced than my other amps and takes just a bit of effort to pull it out, but given the other issue it made sense to ask.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #2,606 of 2,954
The pre-amp switch thing was clearly missed and doubtful anyone checked this unit after assembly. I discovered it seconds after pulling it from the box and it was very obvious. I immediately inquired with Schiit about it and whether this was something easily fixed on my end. The response was if I opened the unit to look then I void the warranty. They of course offered to exchange it, but it's 5 days shipping to CA, then "processing time", then 5 days back. I'd really rather they inspected these units before shipping them out versus having to give up a brand new unit for 3 weeks right after I've paid for it. Since I will likely never use the pre-amp feature, I am still debating.

However, and issue with the 1/4 inch jack is more concerning. I think it's only that the notch just inside the jack is more pronounced than my other amps and takes just a bit of effort to pull it out, but given the other issue it made sense to ask.
if you ever plan on upgrading and reselling the Jot2, then having a broken pre-amp switch might lower the resale value. YMMV.

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #2,607 of 2,954

In my past experience with a defective unit from Schiit, once you send back the defective unit and provide the tracking number you can email tracking number to the the customer service representative that gave you RMA. When they see movement on the tracking number, they will ship out the replacement. Its pretty quick.

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #2,608 of 2,954
The pre-amp switch thing was clearly missed [...] I will likely never use the pre-amp feature, I am still debating [...] issue with the 1/4 inch jack is more concerning [...]
I suggest it's best to bite the bullet and get a replacement. In the long run, a complete and working unit will be appreciated long after the delay is forgotten. Not only will the resale value be lowered as @Smoothstereo mentioned, but someday you might want to power speakers with it. You never know. Duty now for the future as Devo once sang.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #2,610 of 2,954
I just got my system up and running today, and it is blowin' my funky mind! Jot 2/Lokius/Bifrost 2 fed by ipad/Tidal/ifi Zen Stream, Klipsch HP-3 cans. On low gain with volume around 9ish, it is an excellent aural experience.
20230111_175141_HDR~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back