Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #1,936 of 2,952
I've only used an HD600 with B2/J2 and I wouldn't call the top end aggressive at all with those headphones. I should add, I have 53 year old ears.
I think it will depend on the headphones, source material, listening volume and the rest of the system setup. I am not familiar with HD600. I am sensitive to certain high pitch frequencies. I will have a chance to listen to a Bifrost 2 in my setup with a Jotunheim 2 after Christmas. Looking forward to hearing that combo in my setup.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,937 of 2,952
Thanks for the input! Just pulled the trigger on the Jot 👍🏼 Now to wait it out
Since the Jotunheim 2 is still burning in I will not be critical of it. But so far the Jotunheim 2 and Modius combo is definitely crazy value for the money. I am use to buying home 2 channel and home theater gear in the thousands to $10K+ per piece of gear. Never would of thought this level of sonic performance could be had for what Schiit is charging for the Modius and Jotunheim 2. Really cool for us music lovers.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,938 of 2,952
should be fine. had mine since dec 2020, left on most of the time. no issues
100% agree. In my setup Jotunheim 2 does not really get that warm even during use. When idling even cooler. I have left the entire system on (for the amp has been Asgard 3 until recently) since Jan 2021.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,939 of 2,952
Since the Jotunheim 2 is still burning in I will not be critical of it. But so far the Jotunheim 2 and Modius combo is definitely crazy value for the money. I am use to buying home 2 channel and home theater gear in the thousands to $10K+ per piece of gear. Never would of thought this level of sonic performance could be had for what Schiit is charging for the Modius and Jotunheim 2. Really cool for us music lovers.
Doing the same, It's a struggle though, let me put it this way right now out of the box performance it sounds 2D & i know for a fact it is not doing the Bifrost 2 justice. But as far as sound goes its fine & I enjoy it.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,940 of 2,952
Doing the same, It's a struggle though, let me put it this way right now out of the box performance it sounds 2D & i know for a fact it is not doing the Bifrost 2 (When it works because poor quality USB Unison parts) justice. But as far as sound goes its fine & I enjoy it.
I feel and understand what you are experiencing. There is another thread on a different forum that I will provide a link to regarding the Jotunheim 2. Many clearly state burn-in is real for this amp. Based on what I hear from the Jotunheim 2 so far during burn-in period, the experiences I have read and my experience with burn-in of gear, the Jotunheim feels to me to have great potential, especially when I consider the price. Since I just packed my system up for a move I have not listened to it since my post you referenced, which is after approx. 50 hours of burn-in. If you are not burning in your amp, try running pink and or brown noise through the amp at a moderate volume level under load 24/7. There is free software that plays pink noise and timed breaks can be configured. This will speed up the burn-in process dramatically. You can listen now and then to see the changes during this period of time. Most components take about 200 hours of this type of burn-in process to really come to life and know how that piece of gear will effect the system. Another benefit is if other parts of your system whether it is gear, power related or cabling is new or not have enough hours on them will get burned in also.

Here is the link I mentioned. Interesting reading to know impressions and comparisons to other amps:
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-jotunheim-2.10345/page-10

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #1,941 of 2,952
Interesting read, Thank you, I was going to break it in for 3 days before doing the review but will extend it to cover the break in argument. Also purchased a volume meter, because the SP400 which is a THX amp is beating the Jot 2 in every category... Including bass & warmth, jot 2 sounds borderline dry by comparison, but thankfully not stale like the A90.. So i need to rule out volume differences as well.

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,942 of 2,952
Interesting read, Thank you, I was going to break it in for 3 days before doing the review but will extend it to cover the break in argument. Also purchased a volume meter, because the SP400 which is a THX amp is beating the Jot 2 in every category... Including bass & warmth, jot 2 sounds borderline dry by comparison, but thankfully not stale like the A90.. So i need to rule out volume differences as well.
Do a carefully level matched blind test between all of them. I'll be surprised if you actually find a difference. They're all more than good enough.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,943 of 2,952
Will be interested to read what you think. Interesting that you find the Jot 2 borderline dry. What headphones and DAC do you have paired with the amp?

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #1,944 of 2,952
Has anyone opened your Jot2 could you inform the brand and specifications of the blue capacitors in the image?

1636486536978.png

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,945 of 2,952
Will be interested to read what you think. Interesting that you find the Jot 2 borderline dry. What headphones and DAC do you have paired with the amp?
D90, Bifrost2, SP400 & Jot2 on hand, with the Arya V2, Arya Stealth & HE6seV2. Mainly using the Arya V2 though since I'm more familiar with its sound.
Boarderline dry by comparison just to be clear. When people said Warm I expected WARM with maybe slightly boosted or bloaty mids I guess, at least warmer than the SP400 which I considered fairly neutral, which is kind of right, all sounds are generally in equal parts, just that extra separation layering per channel clearly has more of an effect (to the richness of sound) than you'd expect.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,946 of 2,952
Has anyone opened your Jot2 could you inform the brand and specifications of the blue capacitors in the image?

from the pics (I don't have a Jot2 to verify), they look to be Nichicon (U)VR series. Another company that does extensive Hafler mods, along with some of their own unique pre-amp and power amp designs, rates them very highly. The larger black caps by Nippon-Chemi-Con (aka United Chemi-Con) have a very good industry reputation.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #1,947 of 2,952
D90, Bifrost2, SP400 & Jot2 on hand, with the Arya V2, Arya Stealth & HE6seV2. Mainly using the Arya V2 though since I'm more familiar with its sound.
Boarderline dry by comparison just to be clear. When people said Warm I expected WARM with maybe slightly boosted or bloaty mids I guess, at least warmer than the SP400 which I considered fairly neutral, which is kind of right, all sounds are generally in equal parts, just that extra separation layering per channel clearly has more of an effect (to the richness of sound) than you'd expect.
I am thinking the same, after full burn-in that is when you will know how well the Jotunheim 2 will work with your setup.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #1,948 of 2,952
from the pics (I don't have a Jot2 to verify), they look to be Nichicon (U)VR series. Another company that does extensive Hafler mods, along with some of their own unique pre-amp and power amp designs, rates them very highly. The larger black caps by Nippon-Chemi-Con (aka United Chemi-Con) have a very good industry reputation.
Not from what I could see the Jot 1 uses the same capacitors, they are Panasonic 1000uf 35v M series these blue, the black ones I could see, they are Nippon yes, these I won't move.

All the images I was able to see by Google confirm this.

I'm waiting for my Jot 2 to arrive but I already want to go shopping for mod caps, the more I research the many caps mods, the more excited I get that I'm going on the right path of fun.

1636501677926.jpeg
image7.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #1,949 of 2,952
Not from what I could see the Jot 1 uses the same capacitors, they are Panasonic 1000uf 35v M series these blue, the black ones I could see, they are Nippon yes, these I won't move.

All the images I was able to see by Google confirm this.

I'm waiting for my Jot 2 to arrive but I already want to go shopping for mod caps, the more I research the many caps mods, the more excited I get that I'm going on the right path of fun.

image7.jpg
the smaller (5-6mm) black electros are nichicon VY series, so i assumed Nichicon instead of Panasonic (aka Matsushita). don't assume that all 4 of the three-terminal devices in the vacinity of the psu caps are integrated three terminal regulators (e.g. 78xx/79xx, LM320/LM340 series). before swapping caps (which would likely invalidate your warranty), check the data sheets for the two three-terminal regulators, as some can become unstable with input and output bypass caps of the wrong ESR range. some of the three-terminal devices, might be transistors used for psu rail sequencing and/or a filtering stage akin to a cap multiplier of Schiit's own design...

(added)
very easy to damage the PCB traces and creating cold or intermittent soldering joints futzing with the 4 smaller (silver colored) SMT caps like in your next post if you are not familiar with & have the right specialty tools for reworking SMT electros. also easier to rework those when the taller caps are temporarily removed.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,950 of 2,952
the smaller (5-6mm) black electros are nichicon VY series, so i assumed Nichicon instead of Panasonic (aka Matsushita). before swapping caps, also check the data sheets for the two three-terminal regulators, as some can become unstable with input and output bypass caps of the wrong ESR range. presumably the first set of three-terminal devices, caps etc. forms a filtering stage akin to a cap multiplier of Schiit's own design, followed by conventional three-terminal regulators.
I intend to keep the original values and just raise the quality level of the caps.
This work will be joined for fun and to accompany the modding I will also do it on my Dac.

If the space wasn't so small I would change everything to Elna Silmic II, but they are too big in the original Amp values, I'll play with Nichicon FG/FW

Still in doubt about how to go with the cap in the center.

1636508706356.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back