Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,756 of 2,952
I currently have a Jot1, a Jot2, 4490 and MB cards, a ModiMB, a Modi3, and a Modius. As far as the cards go, with both a Senn HD-6xx and a Sundara, I actually prefer the 4490 card in the Jot1. I like both cards in the Jot2 though they do sound slightly different. The MB card seems a bit more "focussed" and detailed in the midrange - vocals, sax, piano, guitar, etc. But in the Jot1 there is noticeably less mid and lower bass on the MB cards (I actually own and tried 2 different MB cards). For classic rock and jazz, the 4490 card was just a bit more "lively" and dynamic. Not really what I expected but what I heard - albeit somewhat subtle.

In the Jot2 this differnce is much less noticeable and although there is a difference, I don't really have a preference. In the Asgard3, the winner for me is the MB card though. It just seems to have a more "natural" and even sound over the 4490.

So my Jot1 sports a 4490 card and is used as my bedroom/"portable" all in one system. Currently my Jot2 is driven by a Modius via balanced cables with a Lokius in between. The MB card is still in the Jot2 and I've attempted to do some A-B with it. However, it is difficult to level match them since the Modius output is way higher/louder - it is very difficult to really hear the differences. In the end, the addition of the Lokius gives me the flexibility to accommodate different headphones and recordings so the Modius stays.

I never connected the Modi MB or the Modi3 to either Jot so I can't comment. What I can do though is echo the sentiment above - "Its hard to beat the Schiit MB sound" and add - any differences you detect in critical listening will likely be very slight/subtle and may change with different types of music and recordings. The resulting system configurations that I currently employ are more driven by the input/output and flexibility of the Modius/Lokius than the preference of internal cards vs external DACs. In the end they all sound fantastic to me.

I wanted to add that I have an Asgard3 with a MB card connected to a speaker system and it sounds wonderful.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,757 of 2,952
For what it's worth, when I compared the Modi Multibit to an iFi Micro iDSD in my bedroom speaker setup, it very clearly lost. When I compared the Bifrost 2 to the Yggdrasil A2/OG in my living room speaker setup, the Bifrost 2 clearly lost. I even preferred a Topping E30 to it (though it had a bit of a tunnel-y sound to it), that I just threw in the mix as a joke since I only use it as a sample rate display.
Yet in my headphone rig, I am very intrigued by the Modi Multibit and the Bifrost 2. I also like both in my kitchen speaker setup.

The common denominator seems to be USB (kitchen, headphone rig) vs. coax or TOSLINK (living room, bedroom). I have to look into that more.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #1,759 of 2,952
My Jot 2 arrived 20min ago.
First impression is very positive!
It will take some time to get used to not having a channel imbalance in the amp.
Sound quality is superb!
I got the one with the multibit module simply because it was the only model Schiit could deliver right away.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #1,760 of 2,952
My Jot 2 arrived 20min ago.
First impression is very positive!
It will take some time to get used to not having a channel imbalance in the amp.
Sound quality is superb!
I got the one with the multibit module simply because it was the only model Schiit could deliver right away.
Same here. Got a B Stock black one and I like it driving a HE6 se.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #1,761 of 2,952
I get a lot of coil whine on my Fiio k5 pro to my powered speakers is another reason to switch. hoping that isn't the case on the Jot 2 (I don't think the k5 pro does what I want switching between HP and Speakers either the way the Jot 2 does.

Sep 16, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #1,762 of 2,952
Has anyone here tested the Jotunheim 2 with the multibit module vs a Bifrost Multibit?
I have both but i am not sure if i should use the Bifrost or the built in mod.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,763 of 2,952
Has anyone here tested the Jotunheim 2 with the multibit module vs a Bifrost Multibit?
I do, but haven't had a chance to really play with it other than just use it. :relaxed: Hopefully that will happen this weekend.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #1,764 of 2,952
Too much going on this weekend to do anything extensive, however the one thing I did notice which was very surprising, was that the BF2 produced a significantly hotter audio output than did the internal 4490 card. I had the volume at 100% on both drivers on the computer side, and Foobar 2k settings weren't touched, so not sure why the BF was hotter. I did notice this as well with my older B-stock BF MB and Phonitor X with its internal DAC. I am going balanced into the BF2 while the BF was single-ended, but the same difference was noticed on both setups.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,765 of 2,952
Too much going on this weekend to do anything extensive, however the one thing I did notice which was very surprising, was that the BF2 produced a significantly hotter audio output than did the internal 4490 card. I had the volume at 100% on both drivers on the computer side, and Foobar 2k settings weren't touched, so not sure why the BF was hotter. I did notice this as well with my older B-stock BF MB and Phonitor X with its internal DAC. I am going balanced into the BF2 while the BF was single-ended, but the same difference was noticed on both setups.
Schiit's addin cards tend to only be 1.4v output, instead of the typical 2v on se, 4v on bal like all of their external dacs are.

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,767 of 2,952
I'm assuming this is on high gain and balanced? How's the sound? I've been toying with the idea of getting HE6SEv2 but wasn't sure if the Jot 2 could power them.
It drives them fine for me. Mine have the multibit card which does have the lower output voltage. Will eventually get the Bifrost 2 which will give more headroom. I don't listen especially loud so ymmv. Currently listening to Branford Marsalis with the volume knob at 12:00 and its plenty loud for me. Balanced out with the stock cable, I ordered a Norne Audio cable already.

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,768 of 2,952
Schiit's addin cards tend to only be 1.4v output, instead of the typical 2v on se, 4v on bal like all of their external dacs are.
I believe this has changed with the new ESS based D/S card, along with Unison USB-C:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-16521749

I just received one yesterday to install in my A3, as my shiny new Jot2 has taken over desktop duties. The A3 will be allowed to roam around the house to various alternate listening locations :wink:

Seems a matter of time before they update the MB card with the same Unison USB-C, and perhaps the 2v SE/4v balanced output.

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,769 of 2,952
Looking for suggestions…
Was wanting a Jotenheim 2 (without internal DAC) to replace an Asgard 3 which is currently being used with a Modius. Currently there is a 8 week back order on black Jotenheim 2. Now considering and looking for alternative amplifier to pair with Modius and Audeze LCD-XC 2021. My must haves are Class A discrete, not op amp based. Balanced and preferably better sonically then Jotenheim 2 since will likely cost more. Budget is about $700. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #1,770 of 2,952
Looking for suggestions…
Was wanting a Jotenheim 2 (without internal DAC) to replace an Asgard 3 which is currently being used with a Modius. Currently there is a 8 week back order on black Jotenheim 2. Now considering and looking for alternative amplifier to pair with Modius and Audeze LCD-XC 2021. My must haves are Class A discrete, not op amp based. Balanced and preferably better sonically then Jotenheim 2 since will likely cost more. Budget is about $700. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks in advance!
Keep checking the B stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back