Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,741 of 2,952
I copied my previous review of Jot 2 here to Head-Fi. A link for any interested:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/schiit-jotunheim-2.25159/reviews#review-25865
I know your review was 11 months ago but wanted to say thanks for posting the link to it. Your review was very pertinent to me as I am currently using a Asgard 3 and a Modius with Audeze LCD-XC 2021 and modded Sony MDR-z7m2. I also have a highly modded Musical Fidelity x-10v3 Tube buffer I like in the setup. The setup sounds awesome but was thinking of upgrading the amp to a Jot 2. The main reason I was thinking of getting a Jot 2 is the Asgard 3 synergizes so good with the headphones I have, and was hoping would just add a little more slam and resolution to the system. After reading your review a couple of times and since there is currently a 8 week backorder on Jot 2 I am going to wait. Thanks again for the review!

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #1,742 of 2,952
I've had my Jot 2 for 9 days, and I have to say that it is an amazing amp. I was hesitant to try it because I had owned a Jot 1 years ago and ended up selling it because it was way too strident and brittle.

The Jot 2 is warm, detailed and full sounding. It is a definite upgrade over the Asgard 3.
May I ask what headphones you are using with the Jot 2 and Asgard 3? You mentioned the Jot 2 is a definite upgrade over the Asgard 3, in your opinion how is it better? Thanks!

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,743 of 2,952
May I ask what headphones you are using with the Jot 2 and Asgard 3? You mentioned the Jot 2 is a definite upgrade over the Asgard 3, in your opinion how is it better? Thanks!
I am using Senn HD600. The Asgard 3 is a very, very good amp, but with the HD600 I find it too laid back. The Jot 2 has extra punch and is also fuller and clearer with more detail, at least with the balanced out. The soundstage is also a little wider on the Jot 2.

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,744 of 2,952
I am using Senn HD600. The Asgard 3 is a very, very good amp, but with the HD600 I find it too laid back. The Jot 2 has extra punch and is also fuller and clearer with more detail, at least with the balanced out. The soundstage is also a little wider on the Jot 2.
Thanks for the reply! How does the SE out of Jot 2 compare to Asgard 3?

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,748 of 2,952
It will not even be close. I went from A2 to J2. Night and day. Cleaner. More impact.
And i will finally get rid of the channel imbalance it is suffering from.
Right channel is about 30% louder then the left channel on my Asgard 2...

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,749 of 2,952
I am thinking of getting this primarily for use with some active speakers. I am buying either some Elac Navis or Acoustic Energy AE1 and want to take advantage of XLR to the speakers and connecting a ML 800x sub through RCA. I think this is probably a good option as I also have some HD 660s headphones I occasionally use. Just not sure which DAC module to go with. I know I can get it without and buy a separate DAC but I really am trying to keep my desk space free of another device. I can't think of another AMP/DAC that has these option other then JDS Element 2 but that doesn't have XLR.

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #1,750 of 2,952
I am thinking of getting this primarily for use with some active speakers. I am buying either some Elac Navis or Acoustic Energy AE1 and want to take advantage of XLR to the speakers and connecting a ML 800x sub through RCA. I think this is probably a good option as I also have some HD 660s headphones I occasionally use. Just not sure which DAC module to go with. I know I can get it without and buy a separate DAC but I really am trying to keep my desk space free of another device. I can't think of another AMP/DAC that has these option other then JDS Element 2 but that doesn't have XLR.
Which DAC card? What's your preference between balanced and multibit? It might be worth noting the DAC cards (at least the balanced one) doesn't output a full 2V to the amp section. At least that was the case with the balanced 4490 card in my Jot1. Might not matter for preamping active speakers, or with a HD660S, as there's plenty of power on tap.

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,751 of 2,952
I
Which DAC card? What's your preference between balanced and multibit? It might be worth noting the DAC cards (at least the balanced one) doesn't output a full 2V to the amp section. At least that was the case with the balanced 4490 card in my Jot1. Might not matter for preamping active speakers, or with a HD660S, as there's plenty of power on tap.
I had been thinking of just going with the ESS 9038 DAC module. I wasn't aware about the 2V output. I rarely use my HD660s and had tried them with an Element 2 before and barely could go beyond 9 o clock on it.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #1,752 of 2,952
Is the performance of Multibit DAC card the same as Modi Multibit?
I'm torn between Jotunheim+MB Card or Jotunheim+Modius. which pair is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back