Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,381 of 2,952
I'm getting the impression that while these balanced connections exist, the traditional XLR connections must provide higher quality sound? Otherwise larger amps would seemingly choose what appears to be (from a consumer perspective) the simpler option. Of course I don't really know what I'm talking about... 🤷‍♂️
Actually, not better sound. The same. The XLR are the original form factor. The 4.4m the challenger. Gaining ground in acceptance, but no where near the XLR acceptance.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #1,382 of 2,952
HI wanted to ask, i have the mimby and paired with the liquid spark amp for the sundaras but i find the vocals to be slight shouty...i'm on a low gain at about 12-1 o'clock but i find that vocals can get shouty...i read somewhere that the ls amp while very clean(quality power), doesn't have enough juice to power the Sundara's...many have said to skip the slightly higher priced toppings etc and go straight up into the more mid-to-high end spectrum of things to get the most out of the cans...in your experience, does the mimby and jot paired with the sundaras sound shouty?
I don't have a Mimby, but I have Bifrost2 with Jot2 and Sundara if this helps. Vocals are not shouty. Even when Sundara was used on my Vali2, Marantz DAC1 (dac/amp all in one), IFI Micro idsd BL, and Mj2, was not shouty. I actually find the Sundara vocals are a bit recessed which I like as an alternative presentation to my other headphones.

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,383 of 2,952
I don't have a Mimby, but I have Bifrost2 with Jot2 and Sundara if this helps. Vocals are not shouty. Even when Sundara was used on my Vali2, Marantz DAC1 (dac/amp all in one), IFI Micro idsd BL, and Mj2, was not shouty. I actually find the Sundara vocals are a bit recessed which I like as an alternative presentation to my other headphones.
I'm not sure what's wrong with my system, possibly the liquid spark amp might be the issue but it's frustrating cause i had high hopes....and the other issue is schit doesn't have a presense here in malaysia so i can't test the mimby with other schit amps

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,384 of 2,952
HI wanted to ask, i have the mimby and paired with the liquid spark amp for the sundaras but i find the vocals to be slight shouty...i'm on a low gain at about 12-1 o'clock but i find that vocals can get shouty...i read somewhere that the ls amp while very clean(quality power), doesn't have enough juice to power the Sundara's...many have said to skip the slightly higher priced toppings etc and go straight up into the more mid-to-high end spectrum of things to get the most out of the cans...in your experience, does the mimby and jot paired with the sundaras sound shouty?
Mimby + Jot2 + Sundara doesn't sound shouty to me in either male or female vocals. But I like more forward vocals, so it could be a preference thing

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,385 of 2,952
So I just recieved my repaired unit back from Schiit.

They noted that there was a "bad op amp" that had to be fixed.

I originally posted here that the problem was the fact that I had a weak source signal (didn't make it 0 dB on PC program source) and I had to turn the knob to 80 percent to compensate, had it like that for several hours to burn in headphones.

Anyone know if a "bad op amp" is a direct result of pushing the amp too hard for many hours or could it be that I used a 4.4mm to XLR4 adaptor for my headphones to amp?

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #1,386 of 2,952
So I just recieved my repaired unit back from Schiit.

They noted that there was a "bad op amp" that had to be fixed.

I originally posted here that the problem was the fact that I had a weak source signal (didn't make it 0 dB on PC program source) and I had to turn the knob to 80 percent to compensate, had it like that for several hours to burn in headphones.

Anyone know if a "bad op amp" is a direct result of pushing the amp too hard for many hours or could it be that I used a 4.4mm to XLR4 adaptor for my headphones to amp?
Nope, adaptor will not break anything inside the amp, but might distort the sound to your headphones. As for pushing the amp too hard, also nope. They have built in protection circuit. It looks simply a bad part that was installed.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,387 of 2,952
Nope, adaptor will not break anything inside the amp, but might distort the sound to your headphones. As for pushing the amp too hard, also nope. They have built in protection circuit. It looks simply a bad part that was installed.
I was using an ultra short adaptor from Double Helix Cables, I think there was little to no distortion as far as I could have heard in the few weeks that the Amp was normal. It only wasn't until I stupidly decided to turn the knob 80 percent for 10 hours straight trying to burn in my headphones.

Maybe a combination of the adaptor and the burn in at 80-85 percent knob turn for 10 hours could result in a damaged op amp component?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,388 of 2,952
I was using an ultra short adaptor from Double Helix Cables, I think there was little to no distortion as far as I could have heard in the few weeks that the Amp was normal. It only wasn't until I stupidly decided to turn the knob 80 percent for 10 hours straight trying to burn in my headphones.

Maybe a combination of the adaptor and the burn in at 80-85 percent knob turn could result in a damaged op amp?
I very much doubt it. Jot2 has overload protection circuit.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,389 of 2,952

Maybe a combination of the adaptor and the burn in at 80-85 percent knob turn for 10 hours could result in a damaged op amp component?
an intermittently defective adaptor (e.g. loose solder blobs within the adaptor causing unpredictable but momentary shorting) could strain the amplifier, likely failure mode being one of the output transistors and not an "op amp" which would be part of the DC servo circuit.

Note that in Schiit's newer headphone amplifiers (magni 3+, Asgard 3, Jot 2), the matched paired output stage transistors are flat square 8-pin devices that look similar to op amps (but are not op amps).

Glad that Schiit was able to get you back up and running. Unlike some companies, they really do stand by their multi-year (4 yrs for Jot 2) warranty.

(added)
personally, I dislike the 4.4mm connector. the way it is designed, the ring-shaped terminals can short each other when plugging / unplugging, or if the connector isn't fully plugged in. Sony likely chose it for the low cost, and small chassis footprint for use on portables. something with parallel contacts (e.g. USB, HDMI, eSATA) or like the "tiny XLR4" would have been better.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,390 of 2,952
I very much doubt it. Jot2 has overload protection circuit.
This sound like a long and steady underload. Don't know about amplifiers, but that kills easily some parts of the circutery, or batteries. Put a very very low power charger to any lithoum battery, battery dies.

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #1,391 of 2,952
I'm getting the impression that while these balanced connections exist, the traditional XLR connections must provide higher quality sound? Otherwise larger amps would seemingly choose what appears to be (from a consumer perspective) the simpler option. Of course I don't really know what I'm talking about... 🤷‍♂️
As mentioned earlier, XLRs are the original balanced connector, with the smaller ones being created later on as a compromise for smaller devices (DAPs, right until a few years ago, only had single ended connections). More importantly, larger amps still use XLRs because they are the most robust solution for balanced connection, not because they provide better quality sound.

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #1,392 of 2,952
Glad that Schiit was able to get you back up and running. Unlike some companies, they really do stand by their multi-year (4 yrs for Jot 2) warranty.

(added)
personally, I dislike the 4.4mm connector. the way it is designed, the ring-shaped terminals can short each other when plugging / unplugging, or if the connector isn't fully plugged in. Sony likely chose it for the low cost, and small chassis footprint for use on portables. something with parallel contacts (e.g. USB, HDMI, eSATA) or like the "tiny XLR4" would have been better.
Jotunheim 2 is covered by a 5-year limited warranty, non-transferable.

I hate the Pentacon connector. I can deal with the soldering, I hate the prices for connectors. Anything remotely resembling quality is $50-$100. Yea, I can order knockoffs from China, with a 4-5 week wait, and questionable construction, but why? Well, it's a proprietary Sony connector. Enough said.

Let me know when Neutrik starts offering Pentacon (I can buy great quality Neutrik XLR connector(s) for $5-$7.

Why can't we just all get along with XLR? (to paraphrase Rodney)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back