Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,231 of 2,952
I just switched from Amazon HD and am trying out Qobuz and Tidal. Both sound a bit better than Amazon HD - they sound sharper - Amazon HD sounded smoothed off to these untrained ears - I used it for about 7 months constantly - noticed a sharp difference when trying out Qobuz and Tidal. I recognize that sound differences can be all made up in your head but hey that's been my experience. Interestingy Amazon HD offers tons more stuff in 24/96 and 24/192 than either Qobuz or I believe Tidal
Amazon HD has a wider music selection but poorer sound quality. The bitrate stream of 44.1/16 files is markedly lower than Tidal's and if you read the fine print (always read the fine print) Amazon HD may "choke" the streaming quality to 320kbps depending on the bandwidth availability (very arbitrary and vague statement). That is probably what you heard. However, not saying Tidal has no problems, the stream often sounds too bright/ harsh and never got anything out of MQA except degradation of sound in a sense of loss of naturalness.

To my ears, Qobuz sounds more natural/ smooth, some of the times and it is also cheaper than Tidal.

Anyway pick your own poison :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,232 of 2,952
I'm going to give Qobuz a try. I edited an Amazon HD playlist last night on the PC and this morning it was nearly unplayable. I simply couldn't play the song I wanted to play. Unacceptable.

I also experienced the throttling mentioned. Now I know what was happening. Also unacceptable.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,233 of 2,952
Amazon HD has a wider music selection but poorer sound quality. The bitrate stream of 44.1/16 files is markedly lower than Tidal's and if you read the fine print (always read the fine print) Amazon HD may "choke" the streaming quality to 320kbps depending on the bandwidth availability (very arbitrary and vague statement). That is probably what you heard. However, not saying Tidal has no problems, the stream often sounds too bright/ harsh and never got anything out of MQA except degradation of sound in a sense of loss of naturalness.

To my ears, Qobuz sounds more natural/ smooth, some of the times and it is also cheaper than Tidal.

I did forget to mention that in my comparison - I was also using Audirvana - which I think really helps out the sound quality so but then again with Amazon you can't use Audirvana - so I think yes indeed - Qobuz sounds way better and I've been leaning that way over Tidal because of the whole MQA thing I still don't understand

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,234 of 2,952
The catch for me with Tidal, was that I burned through the entirety of music that I had any interest in, in less than one day of listening. Their catalog is not at all aligned with my musical tastes.

Amazon is much closer to my tastes in music. But even then, there were very few tracks in full hi-def, vs Redbook.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,235 of 2,952
I did forget to mention that in my comparison - I was also using Audirvana - which I think really helps out the sound quality so but then again with Amazon you can't use Audirvana - so I think yes indeed - Qobuz sounds way better and I've been leaning that way over Tidal because of the whole MQA thing I still don't understand
I am using Roon's RAAT and quite happy with it. I understand MQA but hear no audible benefit.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #1,236 of 2,952
Another review:

https://headfonics.com/schiit-audio-jotunheim-2-review/

Headphonics is one of my go-to sources for personal audio reviews. I can't say I hear what the reviewer hears though - ie, warmth manifesting as thickness that obscures detail. At minimum, I heard more warmth, but also more separation, spaciousness, and midrange detail through my Jot2 and Hugo than just via the Hugo.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #1,237 of 2,952
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,238 of 2,952
"warmth manifesting as thickness that obscures detail"

I wouldn't have phrased it that way, but that's what I hear. Modius > Jot2 > Sundaras, with balanced cables. The Jot is thicker, which makes it harder to hear some delicate high-end detail. You could get the same effect by bumping the bass with an EQ. Having said that, I like it - it's probably how I would have tried EQ'ing my Magnius with these headphones if I had a balanced EQ. Having said that, I don't know if EQ would give the Magnius the equivalent bass punch that the Jot2 does. (I have a Loki, which is out of action now that I'm running all balanced)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,239 of 2,952
Ok, I couldn't help myself. I ordered a Drop + THX 789 amp so I can compare against the Jot 2. I'll also compare the following
- Modi 2 Uber + 789
- Modi + Jot
- Bifrost + 789
- Bifrost + Jot

Though I will be plugging in to the XLR outputs only, due to the Modi not having balanced out, only the bifrost will be truly balanced out.

For the sake of controlling for variables, I will try to use just one pair of headphones as I swap between chains.

Day 2 Impressions
Just slapping on some HD800 S and seeing how I feel...

Nothing to add yet. No revelations of higher quality realized.

I really need that other gear in to gauge these things!

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,241 of 2,952
is it true that this amp is so powerful that there is no knob usable travel really for normal cans like hd6xx?

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #1,242 of 2,952
20210315_175020.jpg

Just came in today. It definitely sounds like an amp.

Kidding, but it does have what I was looking for: gobs of headroom. I don't dare touch the gain switch. Even through single-ended it drives the HE-500 perfectly with, again, gobs of headroom.

I'm all ready for my HE-5s. Might even look into getting the HE-6 at some point...

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,243 of 2,952
Meaning what? 🤔🤔🤔

I have the 789 and to me there is a clear difference between the 2 especially in Soundstage and instrument separation

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #1,244 of 2,952

Just came in today. It definitely sounds like an amp.

Kidding, but it does have what I was looking for: gobs of headroom. I don't dare touch the gain switch. Even through single-ended it drives the HE-500 perfectly with, again, gobs of headroom.

I'm all ready for my HE-5s. Might even look into getting the HE-6 at some point...
For what it's worth, the Jot 2 to me sounds better in high gain. More dynamic and energetic. Not saying that because of 'LOUDNESS'. I pushed low gain further and it just sounds more sleepy to me. Could be just hyperbole or in my head, but it is what it is.

Of course, you'll be at like 8-10 on the knob with most headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,245 of 2,952
I'm definitely getting more dynamic punch from the Jot 2 with the balanced outs on high gain with my planar headphones. I wanna say maybe it's the crosstalk that is helping to lock in a more coherent center image on my headphones compared to the 789.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back