Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,081 of 2,954
This is nothing more than an argument from ignorance. Perhaps you should make your way to ASR where they embrace this vitriol. I personally had the Modius and still currently have the Bifrost 2 and Gungnir multibit. These dacs are paired with the Jotunheim 2 and Vali 2+ and sound amazing, measurements be damned. I have also had the A90/D90 stack, Magni Heresy, THX 789 and the Magnius. I sold those and am immeasureably more satisfied with my current gear because it is much more enjoyable to listen to. These "good measuring amps" just don't connect me to the music. The emotional factor just isnt there. Ofcourse, this is just my opinion on what I like. I don't dam anyone for their preferences even you and people like you that believe measurements are the be all end all. So come here with something intelligent to say and please have some experience with the gear you are putting down. Thank you.
Could please elaborate on how you compare the Jotunheim 2 vs Vali 2+? From what I understand the jot 2 is cleaner sounding than Vali 2+.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,084 of 2,954
Stupid question (or smart question; won’t know until someone answers lol)...

What would happen if I use the Jot 2 as a pre-amp into a tube amp like the Xduoo T-30? I don’t have any of this gear yet and haven’t had a tube amp for years (tried a dark voice briefly once before returning it).

Is it dangerous for the tube amp to take in signal from an amp? Or is it just going to sound bad potentially? I basically want to know if it’ll damage anything to do this and what I should be mindful of.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,085 of 2,954

What would happen if I use the Jot 2 as a pre-amp into a tube amp like the Xduoo T-30? I don’t have any of this gear yet and haven’t had a tube amp for years (tried a dark voice briefly once before returning it).

Is it dangerous for the tube amp to take in signal from an amp? Or is it just going to sound bad potentially? I basically want to know if it’ll damage anything to do this and what I should be mindful of.

I'm using Jot2 as a preamp between my DAC and Valh2, so there will be no problems running tube amps of pre outputs. At low gain Jot2 preamp is in a passive mode (0 dB gain) for both SE and BAL outputs.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,087 of 2,954

Xduoo T-30 specs are incomplete (what is the amplifier section gain, input impedance???) to know the best combination. there is ESS sabre DAC on-board. some other specs look a little dubious to me... text references to the specialty capacitors and corresponding pics are mixed up (copy editor doesn't know his parts) ECC82 can produce 3W per channel into 32 ohm load ???

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,089 of 2,954
Xduoo T-30 specs are incomplete (what is the amplifier section gain, input impedance???) to know the best combination. there is ESS sabre DAC on-board. some other specs look a little dubious to me... text references to the specialty capacitors and corresponding pics are mixed up (copy editor doesn't know his parts) ECC82 can produce 3W per channel into 32 ohm load ???
Any direction I should go when I get the gear in? Should I avoid plugging in the Jot to the t-30, just in case? Or would you say it is generally safe to plug in any amp to any tube amp? What information do we need to know or answer this question if we don’t have the necessary info?

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,090 of 2,954
Would raising the volume on the Jot have the potential to blow anything on the next amp in the chain (tube in this case)?
More likely headphone drivers will blow first, but that is the case with any device when you play too loud. Typically well design amplifiers are protected from overload, including the tube ones.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,091 of 2,954
Any direction I should go when I get the gear in? Should I avoid plugging in the Jot to the t-30, just in case? Or would you say it is generally safe to plug in any amp to any tube amp? What information do we need to know or answer this question if we don’t have the necessary info?
if the T-30 analog inputs have excessively high gain, then it might be possible to over-drive them with the J2 in high-gain mode, causing distortion / amp clipping.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,092 of 2,954
if the T-30 analog inputs have excessively high gain, then it might be possible to over-drive them with the J2 in high-gain mode, causing distortion / amp clipping.
More likely headphone drivers will blow first, but that is the case with any device when you play too loud. Typically well design amplifiers are protected from overload, including the tube ones.

So the risk is really just a matter of distortion and sound quality, more than safety of the circuits/drivers/etc.

Good to know!

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #1,094 of 2,954
why not listen to each unit in its entirety first (use digital input with t-30) instead of frankensteining?
Oh I totally will :)

I was just curious and asking questions before the items arrive, as I know I’ll probably want to run combinations too after running them solo.

I’ll share my impressions here too when I get the chance.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,095 of 2,954
I think you misunderstood how Jot2 preamp section works. Pre outputs are NOT "speaker" outputs. Jot2 will not send amplified signal through pre output connections. That is reserved only for headphone outputs. So you don't have to worry blowing up anything down the line as long as you listen at normal (even loud) listening levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back