Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #1,052 of 2,952
Some Jot 2 impressions coming from Asgard 3 (Bifrost 2 - Jot 2 - XLR out - Sundaras) - I'm very happy with it so far because it fixed an issue with the A3+Sundara combo which was excessively relaxed/distant midrange in my opinion. Male vocals in particular are now as engaging and present as they need to be (I noticed this difference from day 1). Thanks to this I find myself using EQ much less, now I only use it when I want extra bass. I don't find it exhausting at all, I listen to it every day for hours without a second thought. Other than that, detail has also improved somewhat and I have no complaints about soundstage.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,053 of 2,952
Has anyone been able to compare the GSX mini to the Jot.2.

I know I should not get hung up on the marketing speak (2400 for 400), but the simplicity of going with a all in unit for a 1/3 the cost of the mini opens up opportunities for other headphone purchases. For non critical listening I am wondering how much of a difference there is. Honestly the mini is a great amp, and I would probably miss it, but then again, a thicker wallet is always nice too!

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,054 of 2,952
This is nothing more than an argument from ignorance. Perhaps you should make your way to ASR where they embrace this vitriol. I personally had the Modius and still currently have the Bifrost 2 and Gungnir multibit. These dacs are paired with the Jotunheim 2 and Vali 2+ and sound amazing, measurements be damned. I have also had the A90/D90 stack, Magni Heresy, THX 789 and the Magnius. I sold those and am immeasureably more satisfied with my current gear because it is much more enjoyable to listen to. These "good measuring amps" just don't connect me to the music. The emotional factor just isnt there. Ofcourse, this is just my opinion on what I like. I don't dam anyone for their preferences even you and people like you that believe measurements are the be all end all. So come here with something intelligent to say and please have some experience with the gear you are putting down. Thank you.

The irony.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,055 of 2,952
This is nothing more than an argument from ignorance. Perhaps you should make your way to ASR where they embrace this vitriol. I personally had the Modius and still currently have the Bifrost 2 and Gungnir multibit. These dacs are paired with the Jotunheim 2 and Vali 2+ and sound amazing, measurements be damned. I have also had the A90/D90 stack, Magni Heresy, THX 789 and the Magnius. I sold those and am immeasureably more satisfied with my current gear because it is much more enjoyable to listen to. These "good measuring amps" just don't connect me to the music. The emotional factor just isnt there. Ofcourse, this is just my opinion on what I like. I don't dam anyone for their preferences even you and people like you that believe measurements are the be all end all. So come here with something intelligent to say and please have some experience with the gear you are putting down. Thank you.
What is your source mate?

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,056 of 2,952
Has anyone been able to compare the GSX mini to the Jot.2.

I know I should not get hung up on the marketing speak (2400 for 400), but the simplicity of going with a all in unit for a 1/3 the cost of the mini opens up opportunities for other headphone purchases. For non critical listening I am wondering how much of a difference there is. Honestly the mini is a great amp, and I would probably miss it, but then again, a thicker wallet is always nice too!

I haven't heard the mini but spent a little time with a 3F. Compares nicely for the price imo. Wouldn't mind hearing a mini though:)

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,057 of 2,952
When I first got my jot immediately I noticed a loud noise floor with all my iems. I have it running from pc to modius then xlr to jot. I'm coming from a topping a90 which doesn't have this problem at all. I thought maybe mine was defective so I got another unit sent to me but it had the same issue. So I'm thinking this amp just won't work with sensitive iems like advertised.
I have similar issues with my IEMs and its a shame its advertised like it is. Invest in an ifi IEMatch to plug into the single with an adapter and youll drop that hiss to inaudible levels.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #1,058 of 2,952
Based on his comments, I think
[IMG alt="Vercingetirex"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/539/539958.jpg?1606925644[/IMG]

Vercingetirex

Would LOVE Grados.... LOL

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,059 of 2,952
I sold those and am immeasurably more satisfied with my current gear because it is much more enjoyable to listen to.
These "good measuring amps" just don't connect me to the music. The emotional factor just isn't there.
So important - but almost unquantifiable.
Dry and lifeless vs full and luscious.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #1,060 of 2,952
Any feedback about the volume knob and lack of travel due to this thing being super powerful?

I have the 6xx and the LCD-2f

Regards
I have not experienced any issues with volume levels, or the ability to finely control volume.
Typical useable range on the Jot 2 volume pot for me (demonstrated as hour hands on a clock) is 7:30 - 10, sometimes to 11 if I am really rocking it out and also dependent on which phone is being worked. I should also state for the record that I have the Jot 2 gain setting in the “high” position - it’s probably a subjective point but it sounds better to me there.

Specifically speaking to working my LCD-2 Pre Fazor on the Jot 2 (Balanced); The volume range is typically between 8:30 - 11 ish

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,062 of 2,952
How does this do with low ohm/high sensitivity headphones? Still waiting on mine. Will I be able to get past the channel imbalance range on the pot with an Ananda and my balanced cable?
Love the BF2/Jot2 with Grados. In my opinion they have tremendous synergy

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,063 of 2,952
How does this do with low ohm/high sensitivity headphones? Still waiting on mine. Will I be able to get past the channel imbalance range on the pot with an Ananda and my balanced cable?
LCD-XC sounds great (20 Ohm; 100 dB). On low gain my modestly loud listening is on 9.00 to 11.00 volume pot position

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,064 of 2,952
Thanks; Ananda actually seems a little less sensitive than both of those so I should be good. I was worried, especially since I got a custom balanced cable made without thinking, with the reports of IEM hiss and such but I don’t know anything about iems and I guess they might be a lot more sensitive than a headphone I consider sensitive.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,065 of 2,952
Thanks; Ananda actually seems a little less sensitive than both of those so I should be good. I was worried, especially since I got a custom balanced cable made without thinking, with the reports of IEM hiss and such but I don’t know anything about iems and I guess they might be a lot more sensitive than a headphone I consider sensitive.
I don't have IEMs but as far as full size cans, I detected no issues with channel imbalance whatsoever. I'm running balanced throughout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back