Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #991 of 2,952
If anything, you'll have more issues on the higher side of the pot (potential noise/distortion from your source), long before you have any issues on the low volume pot side.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #992 of 2,952
I find that I listen at what I consider low volume 80% of the time (not sure how to quantify "low") with my Audeze LCD-2 Classic headphones.

To those with experience with the LCD-2 or similar, will this amp give me any trouble at lower volume levels? I will initially listen through the SE output, as I haven't figured out what balanced cable to get, but eventually I'll move to balanced.
Not sure what do you mean by trouble? My listening levels are also relatively low, and from balanced output and with low gain, volume pot for LCD-2F is at 9-11 o'clock position. Balanced output from my DAC being at 0dB (4V) bypassing the volume control.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #993 of 2,952
Just got my Jot 2 and im experiencing some hiss out of the SE on my iSine 10. They are 16 ohm and 110 db sensitivity. Is that normal? There's also noticeably more hiss out of the SE on my Anole VX iem which is 15-19 ohms and 110-113 sensitivity.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #994 of 2,952
What's your source? Might help narrow it down.

Like I get hiss out of my TV's optical out, from my Modius to the Jot 2. From any other optical, I get no hiss, so I know it's the TV.

Though my guess is that your headphones are too sensitive.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #995 of 2,952
What's your source? Might help narrow it down.

Like I get hiss out of my TV's optical out, from my Modius to the Jot 2. From any other optical, I get no hiss, so I know it's the TV.
Bifrost 2 balanced. Just to add more context. I also tried the isine on my pc front panel and rear audio out and its dead silent. Anole on the pc front and back slight hiss.
My pc motherboard has special ports feeding the bifrost so i would expect great performance.
Untitled2.png

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #996 of 2,952
If anything, you'll have more issues on the higher side of the pot (potential noise/distortion from your source), long before you have any issues on the low volume pot side.

Not sure what do you mean by trouble? My listening levels are also relatively low, and from balanced output and with low gain, volume pot for LCD-2F is at 9-11 o'clock position. Balanced output from my DAC being at 0dB (4V) bypassing the volume control.
By trouble, I mean things like channel imbalance or not being quiet enough. Like a jump from silence to too loud, bypassing my preferred listening level.

Good answers. I won't worry about it.

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #997 of 2,952
Bifrost 2 balanced. Just to add more context. I also tried the isine on my pc front panel and rear audio out and its dead silent. Anole on the pc front and back slight hiss.
My pc motherboard has special ports feeding the bifrost so i would expect great performance.
My guess is it's because this is a very powerful amp. It's gonna pick up more noise for highly sensitive headphones, than a low output from the pc at low volume.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #998 of 2,952
My guess is it's because this is a very powerful amp. It's gonna pick up more noise for highly sensitive headphones, than a low output from the pc at low volume.
Thanks. It was just unexpected since the Jot product page says "Enjoy all your headphones, from the most power-hungry to the most sensitive". Does anyone else get hiss with sensitive cans or iems with the jot?

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #999 of 2,952
I don't do IEMs but I do have a pair of jvc marshmallows I can try and see if I get hiss. Tomorrow.

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #1,000 of 2,952
Thanks. It was just unexpected since the Jot product page says "Enjoy all your headphones, from the most power-hungry to the most sensitive". Does anyone else get hiss with sensitive cans or iems with the jot?
Also, make sure you're in low gain when using iems with the Jot. High gain will definitely cause some hiss.

Feb 28, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #1,003 of 2,952
If I got a Jotunheim 2 with built in DAC, the XLR output is still balanced right? What wbout single ended? Just asking as I'm a fan of using balanced if you're using USB, to remove groundloops and what not.
If you are referring to the headphone outputs the XLR one is balanced and the 1/4 one is single-ended.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #1,004 of 2,952
If I got a Jotunheim 2 with built in DAC, the XLR output is still balanced right? What wbout single ended? Just asking as I'm a fan of using balanced if you're using USB, to remove groundloops and what not.
for Jotunheim 2, i believe the front panel XLR 4-pin HP out and rear panel XLR Pre-outs are active with internal DAC modules (cards) for both D/S and Multibit versions.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #1,005 of 2,952
Anyone have any idea on speakers to pair up with the Jot 2? Or maybe just the Modius? Desktop speakers. Need something for my computer setup. I assume powered bookshelf speakers, but have no idea where to start. Nothing too fancy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back