Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #976 of 2,952
When I returned my first unit, Schiit sent a replacement unit Standard Overnight the same day I dropped off my first unit to be shipped back.

I recieved it the next day, so they do send replacement units to some degree, I think they did send a used unit to me however.

The main problem in my understanding is that I set the volume way to high on the Jot because my source volume wasn't properly set, I cranked up the analog wheel on the Jot 2 to compensate, I keep it playing for 12 hours straight and it could have damaged some component on the Jot.

Yes, I'm just waiting on a reply from Schiit, hopefully they let me ship it back to them for another replacement......
Damage to the hp is much more likely. Imo

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #977 of 2,952
Damage to the hp is much more likely. Imo

I know that sounds like the logical conclusion but I tested all my headphones with different sources and systems and it sounds just fine.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #978 of 2,952
you should make sure the iDSD NEO is running the most stable version of software / firmware. note that sometimes the mfr's newest release firmware just has more features, but isn't necessarily the most stable. check iDSD NEO user forums for recommendations.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #979 of 2,952
I know that sounds like the logical conclusion but I tested all my headphones with different sources and systems and it sounds just fine.
Good to hear!

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #981 of 2,952
I noticed we have the same setup, Valhalla 2 and t.1 2nd Gen! What’s the difference between the two with the T.1 2nd Gen? Jot2 better than Val2?
I wouldn't say one is better than the other. On Valhalla2 T1 2nd sounds almost lush and full-bodied. Trebble is rounded but still detailed. Jot2 gives T1 2nd more punch in the lows and sharpness in the highs but without harshness. It is as if Jot2 makes a headphone sound V-shaped as opposed to Valhalla2 which makes mids more prominent. I choose one or the other depending on the music I want to listen to. I hope the above description makes sense.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #982 of 2,952
So I have a question about clipping in AMPs, from what I know, clipping in headphone amps is when the AMP is playing at volumes that are too high for it to handle as it may not be able to reproduce a certain frequency at that volume.

Could this sort of clipping potentially permantely damage a headphone amp?

Lets say that I have a cheaper/weak headphone amp and I'm trying to drive a huge planar headphone, becuase the amp is not powerful enough to properly drive the planars, I crank up the volume much higher than normal on the amp to compensate, would this cause clipping distortion and potentially damage the amp at such high power demand?

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #983 of 2,952
while performing the 'headphone' burn-in test, did the Jot 2 get warm or hot (especially on the underside) ? Diana V2 is 91dB/mW per the specs I could locate, and is typical for a medium-efficiency planar. Susvara, etc. that are in the low 80 dB/mW are much much more stressful on the amplifier (need 10X the power for same volume level SPL as Diana or most DCA cans). 100mW, which would not be that much power (~1/50 of max) for Jot 2, would be over 110dB (very very loud). for reference, a smoke detector is ~90dB, and 110dB would be "twice as loud" as that.

clipping distortion typically causes an increase in odd high frequency harmonics that can damage tweeters and headphone drivers.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #984 of 2,952
while performing the 'headphone' burn-in test, did the Jot 2 get warm or hot (especially on the underside) ?

I think it was warm but should be normal temperatures when the amp was being put to work.

My question on clipping damage is just for my general knowledge, I already sent the Jot 2 back for repair.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #985 of 2,952
keep us posted when you receive it back. if you have a kill-a-watt meter, you can measure the AC power draw (at both idle and at headphone burn-in levels). if it fails, then likely the idle AC power draw will change also. note that kill-a-watt meter has both Watt and VA measurement settings, these are not interchangeable.

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #986 of 2,952
Just want to chip in and say the Jot 2 has great synergy with the hifiman HE1000 V1 (foam modded) headphones via balanced output. Finally a decently priced head amplifier that's capable of driving the He1000 V1s with very good authority. If you must grab a built-in dac with the Jot 2, get the AK4490 dac BUT it would be very much worthwhile to grab the uptone regen with amber light version to pair with it. Without the uptone regen, the 4490 dac sounded just okay. Uptone regen really lifted the soft veiled sounding 4490 dac and gave it much needed overall clarity. This entire combo gave a really balanced sound to the He1000v1 - full, rich, airy and tight punchy bass. Vocal seems to be at a good position - not too forward or far away. Replacing the built-in dac with balanced bifrost 2, yielded slightly better micro detail, sharper and brighter sound but loses a little on the richness and fullness. So swapping the built-in 4490 dac with the bifrost 2 may not be a worthwhile upgrade when paired with the HE1000v1. I've paired the uptone regen with bifrost 2 and didn't detect any improvement like I did with the 4490 dac - leading me to believe the unison is a really good usb module.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #987 of 2,952
Ended up getting some Amazon sold balanced cable for the 6XX. Definitely a different sound signature than SE. Like many have said, with the Jot2, it's like a stronger, tighter bass, and more defined treble (not peaky, just more...detailed). I've never heard the 6XX sound like this.

It does lose some lushness, and makes it more technically proficient. Good stuff, though I admit that I prefer the lean towards smoother sound. Make no mistake, the 6XX sounds like a higher tier headphone now, though I miss the softness. Still the harder hitting bass, and cleaner up range is a new type of great.

The Jot2 is definitely an amp that will synergize with some headphones and not others depending on what you want.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #988 of 2,952
I think it was warm but should be normal temperatures when the amp was being put to work.

My question on clipping damage is just for my general knowledge, I already sent the Jot 2 back for repair.
Jumping in here there are two places in the Jot where clipping could appear. The first is in the preamp section if you overload its inputs with too high of a signal. This will cause distortion at all volume levels but generally will not damage the headphone. The second would be in the amp where you are driving it with too high of a signal or the gain switch in the wrong position for the load on the amp. This distortion will change with volume and could damage the headphone but is unlikely to unless it has multiple drivers where the tweeter cannot handle as much power. Clipping is far more likely to damage a multiway speaker.

Had you not sent it back, I would have had you try a set of IEMs (even cheap ones) in the SE output with low gain set and vary the volume. I would have also had you try a 400Hz tone from a free phone app to get a better idea as to the type of distortion.

Finally, you mentioned burning in the Diana's. Given that they are in the 40ohm range with about 90db/mw sensitivity, I would not expect the Jot would run into thermal issues unless you were running them above 100db which is totally not necessary for burning them in (unless you literally what to burn them. :wink:. Therefore, I would expect any distortion impacting both channels to be due to the power supply as the likelihood of both channels going out together is nil given the dual design. This may point to a power problem such as a surge or transient that occurred due to the continuous time period you were running. Once the Schiit tech gets the unit, this will be obvious and you should try and find out what failed to ensure you don't have a lurking environmental problem.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #990 of 2,952
I find that I listen at what I consider low volume 80% of the time (not sure how to quantify "low") with my Audeze LCD-2 Classic headphones.

To those with experience with the LCD-2 or similar, will this amp give me any trouble at lower volume levels? I will initially listen through the SE output, as I haven't figured out what balanced cable to get, but eventually I'll move to balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back