Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #903 of 2,952
This is the setup I have currently.

BF2 -> XLR 4 PIN Cables going into Balanced In Jot 2 -> Pre out RCA going into Audioengine A2+. I am using a Focal Elex headphone with its stock balanced 4 Pin XLR cable going into the front of the Jot 2 balanced headphone output.

There is always some hum/hiss sound when I put my ear near the Audioengine A2+, but you can barely hear it if you move 3 feet away from the speakers.

A louder and more concentrated Hum/hiss sound comes out when I turn the Jot 2 off with the 4 Pin XLR headphone cable plugged in. This sound can be even louder when I turn the volume button higher on my Audioengine A2+ via the volume knob on the speaker's back. Also I unplugged my headphone from the cable and its still making that sound. I tried plugging in my DT 1990 Pro using SE unbalanced headphone out while the Jot 2 is off and the speakers dont make any noise. Its only when I have that 4 pin XLR cable plugged in that it starts to make this loud hum/hiss sound.

I do hear pop sound sometimes when I unplug and plug the RCA cable from the back of the Jot 2. I also hear a bit of popping sound when I plug in my headphone with cable when the Jot 2 is off, but when the Jot 2 is on I dont hear any sound.
This is probably a shot in the dark but did you try turning on/off the preamp switch on the front of the Jot2? The other Schiit amps used to mute the preamp output when a headphone was plugged in, now there is a switch to turn on/off the preamp outputs. Maybe take the audioengine out of your chain to troubleshoot?

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #905 of 2,952
As someone with Modius/Jot 2, I stand by this combo.

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #907 of 2,952
So you should, unless you have very, very long headphone cable.

tenor.gif

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #910 of 2,952
Feb 20, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #912 of 2,952
I'm considering this, as well as the Bifrost 2/Jot 2 combination.
I mainly went for Modius because the BF2 is well out of my price range. Otherwise, I probably would've went for it since I've heard so many great things. Though, I'm personally not someone who believes too much in drastic dac differences, and have lived well enough with Modi level dacs for a few years now.

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #914 of 2,952
I'm using a iDSD Neo as DAC for my Jot 2 and have great results. You can also adjust the gain on the iDSD Neo via knob.
It plays DSDs just fine.
20210220_133406.jpg

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #915 of 2,952
I'm slow to upgrade audio products and tend to hang on to whatever I buy. So I'm more likely to spend more up front to get something I'm more confident I'll be happy with longer. Thus the Bifrost 2/Jot 2 idea.

I'm still using my OG Grado sr80s I bought in 2001 and I love em. That said, whatever I buy now will pair with my new LCD-2 Classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back