Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #886 of 2,952
Does the DAC module limit the amp like it does in the Asgard 3? Or did they manage to fix this in the Jot 2.
How did the DAC module limit the A3?

I'm considering getting the Jot 2 with the AK4490 DAC module and using it that way until I save up for/decide on the right external DAC. If it compromises the amp, I'll adjust my plan.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #887 of 2,952

I'm considering getting the Jot 2 with the AK4490 DAC module and using it that way until I save up for/decide on the right external DAC. If it compromises the amp, I'll adjust my plan.
not worth it, those cards do not sound as well as they should apparently, better get an external 100$ dac.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #888 of 2,952

To me it makes more sense to get Modi for example. Easier to sell if you need to upgrade down the line. Should also sound better as it has own PS.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #890 of 2,952

To me, it matters more on your preference for desktop space. I have a buddy who is now planning to get a JOT2. I sold him my OG Asgard 1 and Bifrost few years back. He’s ready to upgrade but also have a simpler cleaner desktop. He’s gonna get the amp with probably the multibit dac card. He knows he could get better sound out of an outboard but the entire purpose of the card is simplicity. He values that and will still get tremendous sound.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #891 of 2,952
The DAC modules give the amp stage a lower voltage signal than the line signals from an outboard DAC. This reduces the overall output level the amp can provide. That might create a problem for difficult to drive headphones.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #892 of 2,952
To me, it matters more on your preference for desktop space. I have a buddy who is now planning to get a JOT2. I sold him my OG Asgard 1 and Bifrost few years back. He’s ready to upgrade but also have a simpler cleaner desktop. He’s gonna get the amp with probably the multibit dac card. He knows he could get better sound out of an outboard but the entire purpose of the card is simplicity. He values that and will still get tremendous sound.
This is what drew me to the Jot 2 in the first place.
The DAC modules give the amp stage a lower voltage signal than the line signals from an outboard DAC. This reduces the overall output level the amp can provide. That might create a problem for difficult to drive headphones.
This is what I meant by compromise. I guess I should have been more clear in my question. As advised above, I'll explore an external alternative until I'm ready for a larger purchase.

Thank you all for the quick and concise replies.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #893 of 2,952
This is what drew me to the Jot 2 in the first place.

This is what I meant by compromise. I guess I should have been more clear in my question. As advised above, I'll explore an external alternative until I'm ready for a larger purchase.

Thank you all for the quick and concise replies.

Forgo the dac module and get a Modius for $200. Can't beat it for $200 and excellent measurements. Will sound the same as any other well measuring dac no matter the price point.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #894 of 2,952
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #898 of 2,952
Forgo the dac module and get a Modius for $200. Can't beat it for $200 and excellent measurements. Will sound the same as any other well measuring dac no matter the price point.
Just saying, even though the measurements are better, I compared a Modius side by side to my Jot 2 and the Jot 2 had the more smoother and more spacious sound to my ears.

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #900 of 2,952
Modius feeding the Jot 2? Compared to what? A Jot 2 with a module installed? I'm confused.

Whoops! Thought you guys were talking about the Magnius, nevermind! I seem to mix then up.

Yes, I would say just a nice dedicated external DAC rather than use the built in DAC module on the Jot 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back