Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #841 of 2,952
What size is the volume knob if one were to replace the silver for a knurled black knob? I don't own one, just would want my black amp to have a black knob instead of silver if I do end up going for this amp.
Diameter 30,5 mm

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #844 of 2,952
What size is the volume knob if one were to replace the silver for a knurled black knob? I don't own one, just would want my black amp to have a black knob instead of silver if I do end up going for this amp.
30.7mm using a caliper (just a digital cheapie - do not sue me if accuracy is off)

So, a 30 or 31mm diameter with a 6mm axle (d shaped)

About the Picture - Don't ask... Long story short - Schiit sent me a replacement knob in like 2 days.

Attachments

• knob.jpeg
    knob.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #845 of 2,952
So long as you don't push the knob all the way back into the recessed area, just about any knob with a D-shape shaft will fit.

I bought an aftermarket knob off of ebay for like $4. It is not knurled, but it appears textured and comes in black. It is a bit wider than the opening on the Jot2, but since it is shallower, the hope is that it fits...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Frosted-So...-/353335821048?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I think
What about the pot diameter? I see that it is D-shaped.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #846 of 2,952
So long as you don't push the knob all the way back into the recessed area, just about any knob with a D-shape shaft will fit.

I bought an aftermarket knob off of ebay for like $4. It is not knurled, but it appears textured and comes in black. It is a bit wider than the opening on the Jot2, but since it is shallower, the hope is that it fits...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Frosted-So...-/353335821048?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I think
But this is only 12 mm thick. You'll have 10 mm gap between the knob and front face :scream:

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #848 of 2,952
In my many years of working with electronics, the Jot 2 volume knob has flummoxed me. No set screw, so one would assume it's press on. The Asgard 3 press on knob was an easy remove, the Lyr 3 uses a set screw.

I've tried pulling the knob off, with no success. I'm hesitant to use more force, especially mechanical. Hopefully, someone will chime in with the answer.

As an aside: I like Schiit knobs, except for the declaration dimple. In a dark room, I can't see, nor feel the indent. I don't want to exceed certain sound levels.

I've removed my past Schiit knobs (Lyr 3, Asgard 3), and drilled out the dimple with a drill press and a 3/16(5mm) bit. I insert a pre-cut bit of fiber optic (as used in firearm sights) with a drop of cyanoacrylate (crazy) glue. Using a pencil propane torch, I round over the FO proud of the knob. It leaves a nice looking, tactile dot.

Cheese Factor 8: Until I'm able to properly modify my Jot 2 knob, I'm using the smallest dot, in silver, of this product purchased from WalMart. It works surprisingly well.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #850 of 2,952
In my many years of working with electronics, the Jot 2 volume knob has flummoxed me. No set screw, so one would assume it's press on. The Asgard 3 press on knob was an easy remove, the Lyr 3 uses a set screw.

I've tried pulling the knob off, with no success. I'm hesitant to use more force, especially mechanical. Hopefully, someone will chime in with the answer.

As an aside: I like Schiit knobs, except for the declaration dimple. In a dark room, I can't see, nor feel the indent. I don't want to exceed certain sound levels.

I've removed my past Schiit knobs (Lyr 3, Asgard 3), and drilled out the dimple with a drill press and a 3/16(5mm) bit. I insert a pre-cut bit of fiber optic (as used in firearm sights) with a drop of cyanoacrylate (crazy) glue. Using a pencil propane torch, I round over the FO proud of the knob. It leaves a nice looking, tactile dot.

Cheese Factor 8: Until I'm able to properly modify my Jot 2 knob, I'm using the smallest dot, in silver, of this product purchased from WalMart. It works surprisingly well.
The volume knob on the Jot 2 is a Press Fit - I know because when mine arrived it was sticky and I could barely move it - I contacted support they confirmed it was press fit and had me pull it off to reseat it, but not press it too far back. They said it must have been bumped in packaging or shipping and that's why it was scraping/hanging up. They ended up sending me a new knob anyway... Point is, I turned it full clockwise as far as it would go than then pulled it off. It was a little tough but I was able to mange with just my fingers - no tools.

I do like the knob on my A3 better it uses a set screw. But the new replacement for the Jot is just fine - you just have to be careful to not push it back to far or it catches on the volume pot anti twist pin.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #851 of 2,952

Good idea

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #852 of 2,952
Oof.

Welp. I promise that I will take a pic of the result, regardless of how silly it may look 🙄

But this is only 12 mm thick. You'll have 10 mm gap between the knob and front face :scream:

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #853 of 2,952

I've posted pictures in this thread of the knob off and its insert which is a D-style press fit. Since the insert is not a stiff plastic it does stick a bit to the shaft but will release with enough force.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #854 of 2,952
Do you use balanced or SE?
Both! I enjoy each of the them. I find the Balanced better in terms of clarity, a bit tighter bass with some improvements in sub-bass. However, these are nuanced differences. If you start listening SE without side by testing, I'm guessing you would be very pleased.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #855 of 2,952
This is very interesting. I haven't seen anyone describe SP200 as musical. I am not questioning your experience, just find it interesting that our perception is so different.
Exactly TRUE! SP200 isn't musical, but I found it more so than the Jot 1 LOL. It's just my impression. However, that all changed with the Jot2. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back