Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #811 of 2,952
Finally decided to Order Jot 2 and modius instead of A90. Hopefully I won’t get defective units since I won’t be able to send it back since I live in this damn country. It’s gonna take a long time to get it delivered like 2-3 months. Hope it’s worth the wait. Currently using jot1 with mimby.

I guess I was just pretty unlucky. Overall, the Jot 2 really opened up the dynamics of my Senn 650s, it was everything I had hoped for my first headphone AMP. I will happily wait for a replacement one from Schiit!

All of this while I wait for my JAR 650s :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #812 of 2,952
Just the ZMF Aeolus, but Im adding either the HD800s or Arya soon. Kinda why I'm rethinking my audio chain atm.
This is exactly the combo I use: BF2->bal->Jot2-bal->HD 800S and I love it.

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #813 of 2,952
A few weeks went by with my A90, and I found myself less and less interested in listening to my Headphone rig, and more interested in my earphones via my Qudelix.

When I substituted my Cavalli LCX for the A90, it was apparent that while the A90 was technically superior almost across the board, the Cavalli just sounded better. I put the A90 up for sale soon after.

In contrast, the Jot2 is becoming more and more engaging as I pass the 100 and 200 hour marks.
Same experience here with A90. Furthermore, it always made me lower the volume, although I do not listen to the music very loud. Jot2 is just about the opposite.

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #814 of 2,952
Finally decided to Order Jot 2 and modius instead of A90. Hopefully I won’t get defective units since I won’t be able to send it back since I live in this damn country. It’s gonna take a long time to get it delivered like 2-3 months. Hope it’s worth the wait. Currently using jot1 with mimby.
Good luck.

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #816 of 2,952
Curious what exactly youre liking here vs previous combos you've had? Also do you not find it lacking body / low end?
Actually, just the opposite. First, I am not one who likes emphasized bass nor do I listen to electronica, dubstep, or highly processed music much. However, I do appreciate sub-bass but not if the trade-off is losing openness. Coming from the Lyr2 to balanced in the Jot 1 and now the 2, I've felt that there was an increased dimensionality and body to the presentation not dissimilar as when moving from a single-bit to multi-bit DAC. Coming from having done a fair amount of live acoustic recordings, my preference has been to have the performance materialize before me versus be immersed within it. I know this is a philosophical/artistic point when placing mics as there is not one right way, but am merely stating my preference. Therefore, when it comes to bass I enjoy more its propagation than feeling it. Hope that helps.

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #817 of 2,952
Actually, just the opposite. First, I am not one who likes emphasized bass nor do I listen to electronica, dubstep, or highly processed music much. However, I do appreciate sub-bass but not if the trade-off is losing openness. Coming from the Lyr2 to balanced in the Jot 1 and now the 2, I've felt that there was an increased dimensionality and body to the presentation not dissimilar as when moving from a single-bit to multi-bit DAC. Coming from having done a fair amount of live acoustic recordings, my preference has been to have the performance materialize before me versus be immersed within it. I know this is a philosophical/artistic point when placing mics as there is not one right way, but am merely stating my preference. Therefore, when it comes to bass I enjoy more its propagation than feeling it. Hope that helps.
It would be interesting to hear your impression of Valhalla 2 with HD800S if you ever find time to audition

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #818 of 2,952
Thanks for the tip, I'm just kicking myself about what could have gone wrong with my unit.

I did everything right yet there is distortion on some tracks. I ordered it with a 115V and USA plug, duhh, maybe the unit got damaged in shipping?

I recieved my idsd NEO dac/amp yesterday and using the headphone amp on the idsd NEO, it is perfect without distortion, its just lacking a bit in power.

I'm planning to use the idsd NEO as a interconnect DAC,

If I'm only needing a component as an AMP, would you recommend the Schiit Magnius or another Jotunheim 2 for this pair up? I recall reading somewhere that the Schiit Magnius performs like the Jotunheim in power but just does not have the fancy modular design.
Nope. Magnus and Jot are two different designs with different sonic signatures. Audition them and see which matches your taste.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #819 of 2,952
Has anyone tried these with a Gold Planar GL2000? I'm on the fence between this and the Topping a90
I have been using the GL2000 with the Jot2 for about 20 hours now, with Mimby. The wideness of the Jot2 goes really well with the big layered sound of the GL2000, drums and edm have great impact/realism, and well recorded tracks are awesome. But I have had minor issues with the sound being a bit on the leaner side(not quite enough mids for my taste), and treble being mildly tiring sometimes(the Jot2 has good treble extension to my ears, and I think the GL2000 tuning needs a slight mid bump in eq to make that less tiring, that extension isn't tiring on my Sundara or hd6xx). I'm had good success with Resolve's eq here Next thing I'm going to experiment with is a cheap tube preamp between the Mimby and the Jot2 to see how that smooths out the sound.

For the A90 comparison, I've never tried the Topping stuff, but I've read that it's a bit more clinical sounding, and because of the tuning of the GL2000 I doubt that would be the best pairing unless you are into a more analytical sound. I think Zeos said these work well with a Class A amp, and I'm guessing that's because of added warmness. At least that's been consistent with my experience so far.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #820 of 2,952
HP >> Multibit DAC > Amp
^^^THIS.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #821 of 2,952
It would be interesting to hear your impression of Valhalla 2 with HD800S if you ever find time to audition
I have not seriously considered the Valhalla since it became v2 as my configuration has the amp about a 20’ cable run from the BF2 and balanced is the only way to go. I also use my Rai Pentas with the Jot 2 so enjoy its flexibility. I will admit to not spending much time with all-tube designs since the 70’s and 80’s which dates me. Once we get an opportunity for shows again...sigh.

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #822 of 2,952
I have been using the GL2000 with the Jot2 for about 20 hours now, with Mimby. The wideness of the Jot2 goes really well with the big layered sound of the GL2000, drums and edm have great impact/realism, and well recorded tracks are awesome. But I have had minor issues with the sound being a bit on the leaner side(not quite enough mids for my taste), and treble being mildly tiring sometimes(the Jot2 has good treble extension to my ears, and I think the GL2000 tuning needs a slight mid bump in eq to make that less tiring, that extension isn't tiring on my Sundara or hd6xx). I'm had good success with Resolve's eq here Next thing I'm going to experiment with is a cheap tube preamp between the Mimby and the Jot2 to see how that smooths out the sound.

For the A90 comparison, I've never tried the Topping stuff, but I've read that it's a bit more clinical sounding, and because of the tuning of the GL2000 I doubt that would be the best pairing unless you are into a more analytical sound. I think Zeos said these work well with a Class A amp, and I'm guessing that's because of added warmness. At least that's been consistent with my experience so far.

Thank you! I've just pulled the trigger on a Jot2and will just be looking to EQ the kids if needed

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #823 of 2,952
I haven't gone back through this entire thread so I apologize if this has been covered. If I plan on using only the SE on a Jot 2 is there any reason to upgrade from an Asgard 3? My focal Clears are easy to drive but I like what I hear when using them with an amp. I'm happy with the Asgard 3 but always curious about the green grass on the other side of the fence.

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #824 of 2,952
I haven't gone back through this entire thread so I apologize if this has been covered. If I plan on using only the SE on a Jot 2 is there any reason to upgrade from an Asgard 3? My focal Clears are easy to drive but I like what I hear when using them with an amp. I'm happy with the Asgard 3 but always curious about the green grass on the other side of the fence.
IMO, the Clears are best with a balanced connection and sound fantastic out of the Jot 2. If you can't get one now, I would save up for it if possible. It is great with any HPs you'd buy in the future, too. Worth it!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #825 of 2,952

Here's the thing, when you have the Jot 2 in front of you, the balanced headphone socket is going to sing "Feeeeeed meeee" ala Audrey-2, so beware! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back