Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #796 of 2,954
Similar to your thoughts about owning both the BHC and Jot 2, I currently have a Bifrost 2 connected to both a Jot 2 (XLR) and Valhalla 2 (RCA) and switch between HD800S + Valhalla 2 (for live acoustic recordings, jazz, classical, etc.) and Focal Clear + Jot 2 (for more bass heavy pop, R&B, electronic, etc.). As others have mentioned, the HD800S are a much better match with a tube amp (I'm running my Valhalla 2 with RCA Clear Tops) and I'm assuming would sound great with your BHC. With the Jot 2, the HD800S are extremely clear/detailed, but very lean/bland. That said, the Jot 2 pairs really well with the Focal Clears (55 ohm), so it can be a really nice amp when matched with appropriate cans. I can't comment on how either set of cans sound on higher-end amps (tube or solid state).
I can relate to this comment regarding Valhalla 2 and HD800S or any other high impedance headphones. Goodness me, even LCD-2 sounds best on it, vs. all other amps I heard. Seriously, what Schiit charges for their amps is outrageously low considering relative sound quality you get.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #797 of 2,954
I'm currently running a Bifrost 2-Jot2 into Ananda and DCA Aeon RT, and it's quite satisfying. The highest praise I can give this setup after about 2 weeks of frequent use is that the Schiit stack has eliminated my desire to EQ the Ananda at all. Previously with a mimby/789 I was bumping the low end by at least a few dB. No need now - it just sounds more full, rounded, satisfying, with all the details.

I can imagine it would be a good pairing with Arya, too. Don't tempt me!

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #798 of 2,954
I'm currently running a Bifrost 2-Jot2 into Ananda and DCA Aeon RT, and it's quite satisfying. The highest praise I can give this setup after about 2 weeks of frequent use is that the Schiit stack has eliminated my desire to EQ the Ananda at all. Previously with a mimby/789 I was bumping the low end by at least a few dB. No need now - it just sounds more full, rounded, satisfying, with all the details.

I can imagine it would be a good pairing with Arya, too. Don't tempt me!
Arya sounds magic on Jot2. You should try it. :L3000:

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #799 of 2,954
Has anyone tried these with a Gold Planar GL2000? I'm on the fence between this and the Topping a90

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #800 of 2,954
Has anyone tried these with a Gold Planar GL2000? I'm on the fence between this and the Topping a90
From what I read about GL2000, and my experience with both A90 and Jot2, you'll be better off with the later. But your tastes might wary, so best, if you can, listen to both with your own ears and keep one you like best.

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #801 of 2,954
So on my unit that it presumably defective and will be returned, I notice that upon turning on (switch) the Jotunheim 2, it takes 10-15 seconds to actually start up, I would then hear 2-3 loud clicks coming from within the AMP meaning that it can finally start outputting power to headphones. If I play music from my laptop before the clicks, there would be no audio.

Does anyone else's Jotunheim 2 behave like this?

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #802 of 2,954
So on my unit that it presumably defective and will be returned, I notice that upon turning on (switch) the Jotunheim 2, it takes 10-15 seconds to actually start up, I would then hear 2-3 loud clicks coming from within the AMP meaning that it can finally start outputting power to headphones. If I play music from my laptop before the clicks, there would be no audio.

This is listed under 1.c on the instruction manual; it's for the relay protection to engage the output so it's normal

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #803 of 2,954

Yes, that is protection circuit being engaged. From the manual:

c. Turn on the amp, select the correct input, wait 15-20 seconds for the relay protection to engage the output, and enjoy.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #804 of 2,954

I guess I missed that the first time I turned mine on, and it hasn't been turned off since. I leave my Bifrost 2 and Jot 2 on all the time.

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #805 of 2,954

As others have stated, this is completely normal. Once fired up, the Jot 2 (as well as other Schitt amps) engage relay circuits as a protection measure so you don't blow your ear drums out if the volume pot is too high. You will also notice these relays clicking when you shut down the Jot 2 (if you ever shut it off). You should get in the habit of turning the volume pot down upon first listening to prevent any damage to your ears and then slowly adjust to your normal listening volume.

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #806 of 2,954
Thanks for the tip, I'm just kicking myself about what could have gone wrong with my unit.

I did everything right yet there is distortion on some tracks. I ordered it with a 115V and USA plug, duhh, maybe the unit got damaged in shipping?

I recieved my idsd NEO dac/amp yesterday and using the headphone amp on the idsd NEO, it is perfect without distortion, its just lacking a bit in power.

I'm planning to use the idsd NEO as a interconnect DAC,

If I'm only needing a component as an AMP, would you recommend the Schiit Magnius or another Jotunheim 2 for this pair up? I recall reading somewhere that the Schiit Magnius performs like the Jotunheim in power but just does not have the fancy modular design.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #807 of 2,954
Thanks for the tip, I'm just kicking myself about what could have gone wrong with my unit.

I did everything right yet there is distortion on some tracks. I ordered it with a 115V and USA plug, duhh, maybe the unit got damaged in shipping?

I recieved my idsd NEO dac/amp yesterday and using the headphone amp on the idsd NEO, it is perfect without distortion, its just lacking a bit in power.

If I'm only needing a component as an AMP, would you recommend the Schiit Magnius or another Jotunheim 2 for this pair up? I recall reading somewhere that the Schiit Magnius performs like the Jotunheim in power but just does not have the fancy modular design.

Schiit will sort you out - get a replacement unit from them

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #808 of 2,954

I know some people here on the forums have had problems with their Jot 2 one way or another so it is possible that you have a bum unit. Contact Schitt customer service and they will sort you out accordingly. As far as the Magnius vs the Jot 2, I would choose the Jot 2 all the way. I had a magnius and it sounded too much like the THX amps wherein it doesnt have much soul. Sure it has copius amounts of power, but that is only part of the story. My feeling from the Manius was just "meh", another amp that measures well that really doesn't connect me with the music, hence "souless". To make matters worse the single ended performance was abysmal. The Jot 2, IMHO, has that soul which allows me to enjoy my music a whole lot more. While many will say that the single ended performance isn't great compared to it's balanced output, and this is true, but it is only compared to the balanced output. On its own merits, it does sound pretty good and I do enjoy listening to it single ended as well. Everything always boils down to you and what you like. I don't claim to be the most knowledgable person out there on audio, but I do know what my ears like. I have had the original Jot, Lyr 3, Vali 2, Magni, Magnius, THX 789 and A90 amps and can unreservedly say that, to my ears, the Jot 2 wins for my music listening. I have it paired to my Bifrost 2 and Gungnir multibit with unison. Also, the Jot 2 is a balanced amp first and foremost and should be used balanced. This is what it was meant for. If you are looking for the best single ended performance, then there are better options for you.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #809 of 2,954
A few weeks went by with my A90, and I found myself less and less interested in listening to my Headphone rig, and more interested in my earphones via my Qudelix.

When I substituted my Cavalli LCX for the A90, it was apparent that while the A90 was technically superior almost across the board, the Cavalli just sounded better. I put the A90 up for sale soon after.

In contrast, the Jot2 is becoming more and more engaging as I pass the 100 and 200 hour marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back