Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #766 of 2,954
I currently have and Asgard 2 and Lyr 2 I will probably keep for single ended headphones. So should I just go with a Magnius for balanced only?

I have no clue what you should buy friend, I do not know you or your needs. You should better advise yourself. But jot1 is not very good. Buy good crap, do not buy bad crap.
Buy jot2 or magnius, or a 1800$ Mini GSX, or a violectric.

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #768 of 2,954
I currently have and Asgard 2 and Lyr 2 I will probably keep for single ended headphones. So should I just go with a Magnius for balanced only?

I have Jot 2, and recently picked up the Asgard 2 on closeout so I could try out a Class A amp. I am using LCD-X headphones, and I have to say there are a lot of songs that I prefer the sound signature of the Asgard 2 with the LCD-X. That said, soundstage is better on the Jot 2, but Asgard 2 is just easier to listen with its slightly mellower highs. So, my suggestion, would be to consider the synergy between your headphones and amps.

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #769 of 2,954
I have Jot 2, and recently picked up the Asgard 2 on closeout so I could try out a Class A amp. I am using LCD-X headphones, and I have to say there are a lot of songs that I prefer the sound signature of the Asgard 2 with the LCD-X. That said, soundstage is better on the Jot 2, but Asgard 2 is just easier to listen with its slightly mellower highs. So, my suggestion, would be to consider the synergy between your headphones and amps.

Agreed - synergy between the amp and headphone is critical IMHO. I have an Asgard 3 and it pairs beautifully with the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed, for example.

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #770 of 2,954
Have several headphones I plan on using.

My headphones are
Audeze LCD 2( SE & Balanced)
Audeze EL 8 (Single Ended)
Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro (Single Ended)
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro (Single Ended)
Focal Elear (SE & Balanced)
Speakers
Mackie MR6 (Balanced)

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #771 of 2,954
Jot 2 dispatched! 😁

I will be feeding it with a Bifrost 2 but wanted to check if it's better to feed it via RCA or XLR from the Bifrost 2?

My headphone use will be a mix of SE and Balanced but in terms of my permanent connection between B2 and Jot2, is it fine to keep them connected by XLR?

Going to interesting comparing the Jot 2 & Asgard 3 in SE output 😁

You never did update us on your impressions. How does Jot2 SE compare to Asgard3 SE?

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #772 of 2,954
Feb 11, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #773 of 2,954
great review, question, can you recommend any 500-600$ amp that sounds like 600$?

or 700$, or 800$, or 900$... thanks.

the 300$ amp sounds very reasonable, but I already own an amp that sounds like 200$, I should get me somehting better. What would you recommend?? thanks!
God at first I thought you were being a little harsh. Then I read the review. God the reference to amp cost and how much it sounded like was too much.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #774 of 2,954
God at first I thought you were being a little harsh. Then I read the review. God the reference to amp cost and how much it sounded like was too much.
This is a new thing now. Associating sound quality to $ value :rolling_eyes:...in a single amplifier

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #775 of 2,954
You never did update us on your impressions. How does Jot2 SE compare to Asgard3 SE?

Jot 2 sounds better - A3 is still excellent, especially for its price, but it sounds a little too smooth/soft compared to the Jot 2.

I will be testing the balanced out of the Jot 2 soon, hopefully next week and I understand that it's the balanced output where it really shines

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #776 of 2,954
Jot 2 sounds better - A3 is still excellent, especially for its price, but it sounds a little too smooth/soft compared to the Jot 2.

I will be testing the balanced out of the Jot 2 soon, hopefully next week and I understand that it's the balanced output where it really shines

Thanks for the report! Sounds like a win-winmore situation.

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #777 of 2,954
This is a new thing now. Associating sound quality to $ value :rolling_eyes:...in a single amplifier

Exactly. If you look at the huge amount of 100% pure BS left and right, on the one hand, and then that guy saying exactly that, which, let me tell you, I found very practical and realistic, which I can appreciate, instead of so much BS. Because, let me tell you, measurements are not all, but some items, you read/watch 20 reviews, and opinions could not be more different about certain item... you need to use 20 reviews to get an abstract one decent review. Been in the rabbit hole in few other hobbies mate, not gonna be me feeding that system, otherwise I will not be able to sit down... LOL.

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #778 of 2,954
By the way, now that we are talking money, and only money. How much would cost a proper real full class A amp/pre-amp, with both single ended and balance outputs for both headphones and pre-amped out... ??? 1000$? 2000$? and it can have a remote, even better.

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #780 of 2,954
great review, question, can you recommend any 500-600$ amp that sounds like 600$?

or 700$, or 800$, or 900$... thanks.

the 300$ amp sounds very reasonable, but I already own an amp that sounds like 200$, I should get me somehting better. What would you recommend?? thanks!

Thanks.

To more generally explain what I was attempting to communicate with my 2 $300 amps in one box comment was try to illustrate about where I thought Jot 2's raw performance fell relative to Asgard 3 at $200 and MLP/G111 at $500-600. IMO Jot 2 is better than A3 but the gap is smaller between A3 and J2 than the gap between J2 and MLP/G111. In general it's really hard to say "sounds like $$$" but I tried it here to provide some sort of scale.

To answer your question, the G111 I mentioned in review to my ear sounds appropriately priced at $549. From there I think your price gaps are too small to hear meaningful sonic differences. Loosely there are price tiers. The boundaries of tiers aren't fixed or rigid but performance tiers often go something close to this:

<$200, 200-399, 400-749, 750-1199...

It's a, lot easier to compare individual pieces within price tiers than across price tiers. This is another way of saying I would expect a $600 amp and a $700 amp to be very close in technical performance.

I hope this makes some amount of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back