Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #243 of 2,952
Mine finally came in, with the kind help of Laura Z, many thanks Laura!

I don't have the volume knob problem but I might want to open mine to put in the 4490 DAC card from my Jot 1.
I know how to open the Jot 1 and I guess I have to remove the volume knob of the Jot 1 as well to do so.

How did you guys remove the knob? Simply pulling with your hands? Seems like a bit tight to me.
Just grab and pull - no tools required.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #244 of 2,952
Just pull firmly and horizontally.
You folks have these comedy jewel softballs cross your plate, and don't even swing.

Forums don't have to be only informative, they can be FUN!

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #247 of 2,952
Yes, for dual mono!

tenor.gif

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #248 of 2,952
Folks who have the Jot 2, what headphones are you using and where’s that dial? Are you making it past 10:00 on the balanced out?

Reason is, I read so many reviews of many amps and it seems like folks never make it past 10-12 so what the point of all that power?

I realize this is a newb question, but I’m a newb.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #249 of 2,952
When used with my LCD-Xes, which are not difficult to drive, with their balanced cables, I seldom go higher than 9/10 o'clock or so when using High gain. If I wanted to use more of the volume pot I could switch to Low gain but to my ears, High gain sounds a bit better. When used as a preamp to my Parasond A21 the volume control rarely goes beyond 10-11 o'clock. My Jot 2 tracks perfectly all the way down to null so I have no issue with not needing more rotation on the volume pot. Those with headphones that require more power will use more of the volume control. You've got a lot of power on tap if needed with the option of using Low gain if it's not needed. This is a Hell of an amp, I'm fine with not needed more rotation on the volume. Hope this helps.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #250 of 2,952
Folks who have the Jot 2, what headphones are you using and where’s that dial? Are you making it past 10:00 on the balanced out?

Reason is, I read so many reviews of many amps and it seems like folks never make it past 10-12 so what the point of all that power?

First question, all in balanced mode:
HE6se about 12-1 in high gain, low gain about 2-3
E-MU Teaks 9-10 in low gain
Focal Clear around 10-11 in low gain
Shure se535 is 8ish in low gain

Second question:
It is to stay in the Class A bias, many people think class A is better in sound quality.

This anecdotal but I did think there was a sweet spot in the amp when using the HE6se around 12 mark. After that, at around 1, I felt the mids and highs started to sound smeared.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #251 of 2,952

Tha'ts a good question. There is no point really. More power doesn't mean better clarity either.
Its more for marketing claims to be honest. Maybe for a true class amp it would mean something.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #252 of 2,952

The more power one amplifer has the more impactful and bigger the bass sounds. I am not saying about the loudness.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #254 of 2,952

With mine it depends on the source. With BF2 balanced in, I use the volume between 9 and 11 with my 800S. using unbalanced for records, it is between 11 and 1.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #255 of 2,952

Depending on the music (which can vary in volume level), My Hifiman Arya's are at the 10 o'clock position on high gain. I prefer high gain as that is where IMHO Schitt gear sounds it's best to my preferences. You can never have too much power in the headphone game! And this is on my Biforst 2/Jot2 BALANCED all the way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back