Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #1,321 of 2,952
The only thing I want to do is add a tube amo as a pre to give the Jot 2 a different sound at times. That Xduoo amp that Zeos just reviewed looks pretty nice for $99.

But part of me wants to stick with Schiit with a Vali 2+. But with that I know I have to roll to a warmer tube.
try the Vali 2 (older model) instead. presumably, the open loop gain is lower on the non-plus version (as the plus one adds a driver stage before the output stage), so more of the tube's characteristic will be present (less overall feedback), and also run it in high-gain mode (unless there is way too much noise or too little usable range on the Jot 2's volume control)

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #1,322 of 2,952
Idk why Schiit used the nicer aluminum finish for the cheaper amp like the Asgard.
Can you make a comparison between the Jot 2 and the Lyr 3 with the planar? tks
Schiit does have some cosmetic worts...but they know this and are moving in a direction to become more uniform in cases and lettering from what I know.

The "planar" ie the Empyreans are a very, very easy load to drive...doesnt need much energy to drive them IMO. The Lyr 3 has tons of power as well but its a hybrid and the tube is in the first stage and SS in the output stage from what I recall...so its less of that "tubey" nebulous thing many speak to.

Even though the Lyr 3 has the power IMO the Jot 2 pairs slightly better with the Empys. The Focal Clears the older OG ones also seems to pair well with the Lyr 3 over the Jot2...go figure.

IMO you dont need to spend mega bucks on am amp to get 99.9 % there...yes those higher end tube amp and SS amps look cool but for me the differences are like in the 1-2% and often after having one here for weeks they too become, well mostly like all the rest...

Having them here and being able to go back and forth has told me a lot of this "OMG its like really awesome" and "you cant live without this amp or that amp" is often like "highly over-rated"....straining to hear stuff for thousands of dollar deltas is often well.....

This is one reason I like Schitt stuff so much its relatively low cost and well designed and laid out....plain and simple...it just works.

Alex

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #1,323 of 2,952
The only thing I want to do is add a tube amp as a pre to give the Jot 2 a different sound at times. That Xduoo amp that Zeos just reviewed looks pretty nice for $99.

But part of me wants to stick with Schiit with a Vali 2+. But with that, I know I have to roll to a warmer tube.
I pre'd the jot2 with my little dot mk iv se, and I can't really detect any meaningful difference for some reason from xlr.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,324 of 2,952
It becomes much smoother in the highs and more textured in the lows after few days
It is happening already, at first, for 2 days it was very impactful and aggresive now my ears are used to its particular character. I love how the lows have a lot of weight and texture, highs were ok since minute 1.

I love this amp and how good it compliments the Valhalla 2...

P.D.: *Pearl Blue Soul - Ridge Racer Type 4* with Arya and Jotunheim 2, superb experience.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,325 of 2,952
One thing I found is with low impedance but high sensitivity hps used with Balance input and output in High gain, the volume pot setting is crucial. Since Jot2 is quite powerful, just by over-turning or under-turning the dial just by extra 2 or 3 millimeters, makes a noticeable difference from being great to being either a bit too aggressive or a bit too underwhelming. Really have to dial it in right to get that optimal sweet spot. Perhaps that's maybe one reason why some folks have a different result/impression of the Jot2.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #1,326 of 2,952
It is happening already, at first, for 2 days it was very impactful and aggresive now my ears are used to its particular character. I love how the lows have a lot of weight and texture, highs were ok since minute 1.

I love this amp and how good it compliments the Valhalla 2...

P.D.: *Pearl Blue Soul - Ridge Racer Type 4* with Arya and Jotunheim 2, superb experience.
How would you compare it with A90? since you had both of them

Thanks a lot Luciano. Say hi to Kurko when you see him.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,327 of 2,952
Holo audio cyan R2R } AQ makenzies } Jothunheim 2 } Balanced } Zmf Atticus sounding exceptional right now :) absolutely in love with that combo :heart: , cant wait try my bitfrost 2 coming next week !

Balanced really pushing out that performance to the next level , really noticeable difference with SE on my Atticus .

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,328 of 2,952
Reading users reporting different findings on high gain (HG)/low gain (LG), I'd tried experiencing a bit on high/low gain within the largely humanly acceptable tolerance.

I was always on LG, which I have not thought of changing until I'd read about it. I have been listening on LG since the start (and my old JOT1).

Very preliminary, please just accept as is. BTW, I am on PC -> USB -> BF2 -> XLR -> JOT2 -> XLR 4-pin -> Fostex TH-900Mk2

Songs checked so far (I am old guy, but I am also an Anime and Japanese fan, so please bear with me), volume matching done by my ears

1. Hikarie : miwa
2. Atashigasobaniruuchini : Fujikawa Chiai
3. Kiminonamae : Fujikawa Chiai
4. Hotel California : Eagles (Hell Freezes Over)
5. Brett Anderson : Crash About To Happen

HG: volume set at about 8:30
LG: volume set at about 10:00

Thing that I don't like is the balance shift on HG on the low side of the volume control is very noticeable.

Things that I like about HG are the space feeling is more apparent, the bass is tighter, and the separation is better.

Seems to me that I have not been giving them their best operating conditions since they were here, have to do more comparisons on HG/LG.

But it is good to know more about the gear that I have.

Mar 20, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,330 of 2,952
How would you compare it with A90? since you had both of them

Thanks a lot Luciano. Say hi to Kurko when you see him.
I would describe A90 as a very high SQ amp but plain, everything is there but doesn't make you feel anything at all, like a food you really like without salt, flavourless. I also have the A30 with 2x Burson V6 Vivid and I also prefer it over the A90.

Meanwhile the Valhalla 2 which I think I prefer it over Jotunheim 2, at least with the Focal Clear: I get everything I like, I can't stop listening to music with it. The instruments, sounds, effects, everything coming from different places and corners in space, very holographic and pleasant. Plus I never get any kind of fatigue.

And finally the Jotunheim 2, with Arya: They are a very good couple, I usually listen to videogames music: Final Fantasy, jazz, classical etc and percussion, wind and strings has lot of texture and weight... I don't miss anything when using the Jotunheim 2 and If I want that little extra spicy just turn up the gain switch and lows become very impactful and aggresive.

I would really like to try the Singxer SA-1 but so far I'm very happy with my current setup.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #1,331 of 2,952
I would describe A90 as a very high SQ amp but plain, everything is there but doesn't make you feel anything at all, like a food you really like without salt, flavourless. I also have the A30 with 2x Burson V6 Vivid and I also prefer it over the A90.

Meanwhile the Valhalla 2 which I think I prefer it over Jotunheim 2, at least with the Focal Clear: I get everything I like, I can't stop listening to music with it. The instruments, sounds, effects, everything coming from different places and corners in space, very holographic and pleasant. Plus I never get any kind of fatigue.

And finally the Jotunheim 2, with Arya: They are a very good couple, I usually listen to videogames music: Final Fantasy, jazz, classical etc and percussion, wind and strings has lot of texture and weight... I don't miss anything when using the Jotunheim 2 and If I want that little extra spicy just turn up the gain switch and lows become very impactful and aggresive.

I would really like to try the Singxer SA-1 but so far I'm very happy with my current setup.
Valhalla2 has no right to sound as good as it does for $350!

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #1,332 of 2,952
Attenuating the input with a passive preamp or a dac with volume control can also give one more flexibility w/r/t gain setting.
certainly, but theory says you don't want to lower digital volume, it will also decreaso audio resolution really. Also some dacs has no volume control because of that, or a no volume mode, which sounds better, so... A third gain stage would have been better, in theory.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,333 of 2,952
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,334 of 2,952
certainly, but theory says you don't want to lower digital volume, it will also decreaso audio resolution really. Also some dacs has no volume control because of that, or a no volume mode, which sounds better, so... A third gain stage would have been better, in theory.
Depends on the dac. Some at least claim not to impose a bit reduction with signal attenuation. But that possibility is why I use a preamp to attenuate. Whether any bit loss would be audible would depend on the values of many other variables, but whether different gain settings would result in an audible diminution in sound quality in a given situation is also pretty speculative. So as usual, I guess ya pays your money and takes your chances.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,335 of 2,952
Ok so.....My Jot 2 has some problems. I bought mine at the initial release back in December I believe it was. It has been fine but within the past week I noticed some static in the left earcup of my Hifiman Arya's. I figured I would do some investigating so I went ahead and tried a couple different headphones and much to my chagrine, the noise was still there. Next step is to check all the connections on the back of the Bifrost 2 and Jot 2 (running in balanced). All good. Next is changing out the headphone cables which ofcourse was a no go. I then took out my SE cables from retirement and plugged them in. My SE headphone output is completely nerfed. There is sound alright but not the kind you would like, lol. I know some people on this forum have had problems with theirs, does this sound in any way the same problem as yours? I have emailed Schiit so see what happens there. In the meantime I am spending some time with my Vali 2+ Which I absolutely adore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back