Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #152,986 of 155,166
May 25, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #152,987 of 155,166
GotDAAMN thats pricey. If anybody ever buys one of those bottles invite me up for a shot!
So, when my second company secured our A round of financing. I celebrated and bought a Pappy 15… I made it last 4 years; sharing it at the end with all my friends for a last cigar and bourbon night out on my screened porch. I have since been unable to replace it. My local liquor store guy had set it aside from his allocation and sold it to me at retail, IIRC $250 or so (in 2015).

It’s a great sip, but not at those insane levels. ORFBS - Old Rich Fart Bourbon Society; if you catch my drift.

But, yeah… Pappy

May 25, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #152,988 of 155,166
So, when my second company secured our A round of financing. I celebrated and bought a Pappy 15… I made it last 4 years; sharing it at the end with all my friends for a last cigar and bourbon night out on my screened porch. I have since been unable to replace it. My local liquor store guy had set it aside from his allocation and sold it to me at retail, IIRC $250 or so (in 2015).

It’s a great sip, but not at those insane levels. ORFBS - Old Rich Fart Bourbon Society; if you catch my drift.

But, yeah… Pappy
I generally celebrate with 21 year old Balvenie scotch, I believe it is around $300 a bottle but it has always been given to me by employees or friends. I tend to trade for higher priced bourbons but many of those are $175 or less. I play the stock market a lot and I would much rather get 15-25% dividends on some stocks and decent returns on others. My labors have produced enough cash to buy a SYN and Kraken but to me that is found money for fun items.🤪

May 25, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #152,989 of 155,166
Took the hint!
ordered one yesterday, arrives tomorrow Sat 25
I’m actually thinking of ordering a second as backup, just in case mine ever needs to be sent in for repairs (yes, it is that good)! 😅

(I got that idea from someone over in the Ragnarok thread)

Edit: …or a Freya and some Vidars? What says the brain trust?

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #152,991 of 155,166
I need to get moving so I can finish projects for friends on here. I need to go back and find a couple music recommendations from here, yesterday it was Rimsky-Korsakov. Maybe another genre today, I like choices.😉

May 25, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #152,992 of 155,166
@Bowmoreman asked about setting up an IPad Pro with Qobuz to a DAC using USB type C to type B and I just did it using an IPhone 15 and Bifrost to Vali 3. I have a charging station I could use for my phone were I not just playing around. It could make for a nice bedside setup if I was so inclined. All solid cherry, a WiiM is also in place if I wanted to stream from it. Now trying WiiM through Bifrost to Vali, I am less impressed but then I am using an optical cable.

IMG_7284.jpegIMG_7286.jpeg
FWIW, and FWR, I slightly prefer the WiiM over coax to my Gumby than over Toslink. I do think they'll be releasing a streamer in the future with USB out, but no idea when.

You've set your WiiM for bitperfect playback with all equalization disabled and fixed output at 100%, yes? There are a couple other settings that can affect the stream as well. With Qobuz, I believe when they get their Connect functionality sorted, the entire user experience with streamers like WiiM will be much nicer overall.

May 25, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #152,993 of 155,166
FWIW, and FWR, I slightly prefer the WiiM over coax to my Gumby than over Toslink. I do think they'll be releasing a streamer in the future with USB out, but no idea when.

You've set your WiiM for bitperfect playback with all equalization disabled and fixed output at 100%, yes? There are a couple other settings that can affect the stream as well. With Qobuz, I believe when they get their Connect functionality sorted, the entire user experience with streamers like WiiM will be much nicer overall.
That is how my WiiM is set and at this time I am using coax into another DAC.😉

May 25, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #152,994 of 155,166
I need to get moving so I can finish projects for friends on here. I need to go back and find a couple music recommendations from here, yesterday it was Rimsky-Korsakov. Maybe another genre today, I like choices.😉
Just finished a coffee...listening to Gould doing Bach....fogged in maybe sunshine later

May 25, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #152,995 of 155,166
He loves Vali 3 so much he has it in both black and silver!

I wonder how many backups of the amp you have? :laughing:
.... and if there were a copper Vali 3 .... ☑️

May 25, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #152,996 of 155,166
Just finished a coffee...listening to Gould doing Bach....fogged in maybe sunshine later
I have a crew arriving that will be working on some landscaping near my shop so I may put on some rock.😁 music and work can go hand in hand.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #152,997 of 155,166
Nope, not yet. Have spent most of my time since the move with unboxing and with working on that little project of mine that I'd like to get done sooner rather than later.
Maybe this weekend. Will keep my eyes peeled.

I know I'm not one to talk since I'm part of "the problem," but I'm curious how long this tiny little town can hold on to its small/old-town-y charm. It's definitely not set up to deal with a whole lot more cars; traffic on Herff, River, and Main is already pretty crazy no matter what time of day.
And keep the water supply flowing ... remember the post by @Bowmoreman regarding the aquifer?

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #152,999 of 155,166
We all have opinions on our stuff, Schiit gear, tubes, music tastes etc..

I am down to only 6 sets of headphones and love to rotate them in and out of use, just like some of us with tube rolling....makes life interesting for sure.

One of the cans I really like are D8000 Pros....found this video on their manufacture in Japan.

These cans for me work very well with Schiits Raggy, MIdgard, Mjolnir 3 the latest because of the power available...they work ok with lesser power amps, but they
shine for me with this "bigger" amps power wise...

Amos Barnett aka Currawong posted this link in one of his reviews "down under".

Whats interesting is the amount of physical human being intervention and labor.
Schiit a few of these type videos as well...

Looking at these it helps make some sense of these exotic devices prices.

AND

Appreciate the relatively low cost of Schiit gear!
Thanks Jason!

Enjoy!
Alex

May 25, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #153,000 of 155,166
Best I can do is an opened and well-sampled bottle of Wyoming Whiskey well packed in some random cardboard. :smiley_cat:

Oh wait, I don't own any tube gear. :crying_cat_face:
I have a collection of cardboard toilet paper tubes (for the dogs' entertainment).

What say you, @bcowen, how many in exchange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back