Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #152,956 of 155,163
What I really remember was arguing with folks that were CONVINCED they had the best and most realistic sound of any speaker. I would always say, close your eyes, and point to the first violin, or the flute soloist… and watch their arms flail about… finally falling back on “well,I like the way they sound”…
At live classical concerts, unless I'm sitting in the first few rows, if I close my eyes I can only point in the general direction of a solo player. The origin of the sound is quite diffuse and there is no "holographic soundstage" that audiophiles talk about. I've never listened to a Bose 901 but being able to point to a solo player is not necessarily "realistic" sound.

May 24, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #152,958 of 155,163
I play in a bocce league on Tuesdays. The first game starts with a coin flip, "who has a coin?".."only old people have coins"
Funny!

May 24, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #152,959 of 155,163
At live classical concerts, unless I'm sitting in the first few rows, if I close my eyes I can only point in the general direction of a solo player. The origin of the sound is quite diffuse and there is no "holographic soundstage" that audiophiles talk about. I've never listened to a Bose 901 but being able to point to a solo player is not necessarily "realistic" sound.
There's that... but despite the diffuse soundfield, a flute still sounds like a flute, an oboe still sounds like an oboe.

They do not sound like 8 boomboxes bouncing honky boxy poor facsimiles around the room making one want to leave the room ASAP. :ksc75smile:

May 24, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #152,960 of 155,163
LOL, yeah that tracks. One of our guys, I believe Evan, actually got fed by the DMV when he came in because they were having a pot luck or something. Oh and Boerne--have you met the guy who has his poodle ride around in his motorcycle sidecar?

Oddly enough, Armchair Philosopher, AND a high school friend, AND a person who has worked for several of my companies, are all moving or planning to move to Boerne. Weird stuff.

Texas is a trip...
My brother loved Boerne after moving from Newport Beach. He had to move back to SoCal (Yorba Linda) for work a few years ago. He wishes he was back in Boerne.

May 24, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #152,961 of 155,163
I play in a bocce league on Tuesdays. The first game starts with a coin flip, "who has a coin?".."only old people have coins"
I saw a great article the other day about which industries are hurting because younger people use them less.
Cable TV
Disposable razors
Banks
Taxi cabs

May 24, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #152,963 of 155,163
Gotta be honest. I did. And I still do. :rolling_eyes:

May 24, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #152,964 of 155,163
What does he play?
In this case, drums. He also produces.

I know I'm not one to talk since I'm part of "the problem," but I'm curious how long this tiny little town can hold on to its small/old-town-y charm. It's definitely not set up to deal with a whole lot more cars; traffic on Herff, River, and Main is already pretty crazy no matter what time of day.
In a Boerne shop:

1716597407300.png

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 24, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #152,965 of 155,163
May 24, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #152,966 of 155,163
Another good one for you folks, IMHO. I'll keep it brief. Jazz, Soul, Funk, Hardbop, and a Hammond B3 organ to boot! What else can be said other than ENJOY!

Tonight's Jazz recommendation is...

JazzReco-16.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #152,967 of 155,163
LOL, yeah that tracks. One of our guys, I believe Evan, actually got fed by the DMV when he came in because they were having a pot luck or something. Oh and Boerne--have you met the guy who has his poodle ride around in his motorcycle sidecar?

Oddly enough, Armchair Philosopher, AND a high school friend, AND a person who has worked for several of my companies, are all moving or planning to move to Boerne. Weird stuff.

Texas is a trip...
Oh it is (and was) indeed.

Best man at our wedding (I’ve known him since 1980) moved TO Texas in around 2010. When I first met him (New Jersey guy), he was like What with the West/South. I was fresh from Arizona.

Anyways, now he’s down there, and we tried it, but LIFE made it not work. If you can’t fit in in the Hill Country of Texas, then you need to re-evaluate; because there are ALL sorts and strokes for folks, and most importantly, nobody gives a SCHIIT. You be you… The triangle from (roughly) NW San Antonio out to Kerrville, up to Fredricksburg, over to (roughly Dripping Springs - though that has succumbed to a bit of, as Gerri would put it, “strip mall urban sprawl”… and then back down to Greene is epic locale in Texas.

We loved it for everything it was. Local vineyards? Check. Crazy-AZZ Lllama outdoor bars? Check. Goat riding rodeos for 8 year olds? Check. Everything in between? Yep.

Total trip, wherever you’re coming from. What I loved the most is the “freedom” thread underpinning it ALL. Reminds me actually of California in 1979 and 1980 before it got all monolithic on me…

We’ve met the Bourne poodle dude!

Bourne rocks. My son, the SWA pilot on the left. His best bud since 2nd grade (Costa Rica missionary) on the right. Bourne. Rocks

<Freaking auto-correct f’in w/ me German spelling does NOT rock - on edit - too lazy to go back and fix it all above>

IMG_2591.jpeg

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #152,968 of 155,163
Better seats. Better hall.

Seriously, though, the point is that the Bose “effect” made everything so freaking huge and “amorphous” that no realistic sense of actual “real sound in real space” was at all possible.

May 24, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #152,969 of 155,163
Speaking of computers, ye know of Advanced Micro Devices'® bringing EPYC® to the Socket AM5 platform. RYZEN takes 64/128-bit unbuffered, RYZEN PRO 72/144-bit unbuffered ECC, the new EPYC 4000 72/144-bit registered ECC. All are supported by the A650, B650, and X670 platform controller hubs.

I've still a requirement for i8042 keyboards, therefore have an ASUS® PRIME™ X670-P-CSM shortlisted. The only thing concerning main memory? Unbuffered or registered; I've four DDR5-6400 DIMMs of either type (not both) longlisted.

May 24, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #152,970 of 155,163
I am at a loss to comprehend why you think cake and alcohol are somewhat exclusive? rum-soaked cake is pretty good and meets all a chicken's daily requirements.
Definitely not exclusive .... Big cake fan here.
Rum Baba is especially nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back