Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 21, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #152,596 of 155,069
I'm pretty sure it's cryo-treated cardboard. :wink:

May 21, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #152,597 of 155,069
I'm pretty sure it's cryo-treated cardboard. :wink:
Ohhh that's it!

Seriously, they have to be some of the last OG Duetta Sigs anywhere (I don't believe rebuilt) - had them for awhile, but I didn't have the room for them, not to mention enough Krell power to drive 'em. Classics.

May 21, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #152,598 of 155,069
True, those pieces of cardboard are not cognoscenti approved - should be at least teak if not some ZMF tropical wood - hand rubbed with Tung oil - then dried with raw linen ! :sunglasses:
Yeah, well… a nod to @bcowen there one supposes…
more seriously, when I did the recent move the amp under the floor thing… it strained the wires just enough that I needed to insure no shorts. Decorative wood would obviously be the ticket.

I recently borrowed ZMF Bokeh and there was a temptation to take a few slices, who’d know? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But, discretion proved the better part of valor.

May 21, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #152,599 of 155,069
Ohhh that's it!

Seriously, they have to be some of the last OG Duetta Sigs anywhere (I don't believe rebuilt) - had them for awhile, but I didn't have the room for them, not to mention enough Krell power to drive 'em. Classics.
Correct, not rebuilt. Scared Schiit-less (really) of WHEN that becomes required…. I’ve babied the hell out of them… every move was me personally packing, loading, and driving… including to and from Texas. Never in too high or low temps…

But, I must admit I’m driving with Classe’ not Krell; me didn’t like the Krell sound, remember? :ksc75smile:

May 21, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #152,600 of 155,069
Except inputs are XLR or 1/4" inputs and Syn is RCA outputs. Custom cables would be necessary.
Custom isn't necessary. 1/4" stereo to RCA cables are used in pro audio and easy to find.

Or use adapters. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T8QKR4/
718GJS-DRnL._AC_SL300_.jpg

May 21, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #152,601 of 155,069
Yeah, well… a nod to @bcowen there one supposes…
more seriously, when I did the recent move the amp under the floor thing… it strained the wires just enough that I needed to insure no shorts. Decorative wood would obviously be the ticket.

I recently borrowed ZMF Bokeh and there was a temptation to take a few slices, who’d know? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But, discretion proved the better part of valor.
I'm sure @Paladin79 has some very nice pieces of scrap wood he may be willing to part with. 😉

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #152,602 of 155,069
I'm sure @Paladin79 has some very nice pieces of scrap wood he may be willing to part with. 😉
Well, I’m sure wifey would approve, but only if it were to match the Red Oak flooring; she’s still miffed at them holes I hadda drill (the floors were all new when we moved in). I’m working on a few spare pieces to make a visual “plug” for the hole, but hadn’t thought yet about experimenting with various woods… thinking maple for the shim/win?

May 21, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #152,603 of 155,069
This will be the last Jazz/Fusion recommendation for a bit as I've been on a bit of a Fusion streak. Time to give other subgenres some lovin'.

Steve Smith and Vital Information has been a fav in my Fusion rotation. Steve is a very accomplished Jazz drummer that typically showcases his talents in the form of longer solos, which can be great or not so great depending on how you feel about drums. This particular live album has a good balance of drumming as a part of the music as opposed to the centerpiece of the music (except for one track, anyway). Anyhow -- I think it is a good album w/ lots of energy and a top-tier representation of crossover/fusion, IMHO. Enjoy!

Today's Jazz recommendation is...

JazzReco-6.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #152,604 of 155,069
Correct, not rebuilt. Scared Schiit-less (really) of WHEN that becomes required…. I’ve babied the hell out of them… every move was me personally packing, loading, and driving… including to and from Texas. Never in too high or low temps…

But, I must admit I’m driving with Classe’ not Krell; me didn’t like the Krell sound, remember? :ksc75smile:
Yeah I was always a Pass guy but my Stasis 3 was best w dynamics and the X Series from Pass came too late for the Duetta, and the Aleph's just could not crank the bass. I did enjoy the Classe CA-400 with the Maggie 3.3R however. But my best system was w/ the Verity Parsifal Encore and Pass X-150.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #152,605 of 155,069
Well, I’m sure wifey would approve, but only if it were to match the Red Oak flooring; she’s still miffed at them holes I hadda drill (the floors were all new when we moved in). I’m working on a few spare pieces to make a visual “plug” for the hole, but hadn’t thought yet about experimenting with various woods… thinking maple for the shim/win?
I work with standard hardwoods as well as exotic woods. My next project is building two stands for Tyrs with tiger maple trim. Red Oak is not expensive compared to most other woods I use. IMG_7131.jpegIMG_7282.jpeg
🤪 I can do shims in most any wood, there are thin strips of ebony, maple and bloodwood in the first two photos. What might be nice is a “+” shape that extended out far enough to insulate all cable ends. If you want my help it is gratis. A bit of double sided tape to hold the + in place.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #152,606 of 155,069
For me it doesn't get much better than their first album titled... ZZ Top's First Album.

Not a bad track to be found but my personal faves would be "Certified Blues" and "Brown Sugar."

From discogs, does any of this make any difference?
CD releases of this album contain a different mix to the vinyl. The album was completely remixed in 1987 for CD release to update the sound. The original vinyl mix appears on CD in The Complete Studio Albums 1970-1990.

The original mixes of tracks tracks 2, 4, and 9 are available on 2003's Chrome, Smoke & BBQ boxset, and track 10 is available on 1977's The Best of ZZ Top.

May 21, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #152,607 of 155,069
Well, ended up being on my way out of town, so...
Thank you. I need to solicit good recs more often. I wouldn't have ended up having a bad meal in St Louis today (Pappy's wasn't open, so will remedy that tomorrow).

Got a Cardinals ticket for a cool $3. Strategic work travel.

May 21, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #152,608 of 155,069
Thank you. I need to solicit good recs more often. I wouldn't have ended up having a bad meal in St Louis today (Pappy's wasn't open, so will remedy that tomorrow).

Got a Cardinals ticket for a cool $3. Strategic work travel.
Glad you enjoyed it. Have a good time at the game.

May 21, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #152,610 of 155,069

Users who are viewing this thread

Back