Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 10, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #151,216 of 152,726
Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 10.14.43 AM.png

May 10, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #151,217 of 152,726
May 10, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #151,218 of 152,726
Very nice! My wife has played chess against me for about 52 years but she does that more to be a good sport. Scrabble gives her the best chance of winning. Later, another tube has warmed up.🤪
I tried playing Scrabble with my wife until she whipped out the 'Scrabble Dictionary' which allows practically any 2 or more letters put together to become a legal word. I prefer games that require at least some thought. 🤣

May 10, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #151,219 of 152,726
I tried playing Scrabble with my wife until she whipped out the 'Scrabble Dictionary' which allows practically any 2 or more letters put together to become a legal word. I prefer games that require at least some thought. 🤣
Another break for me. My wife and I are fairly well matched in Scrabble. I started out to be a writer and she was in the top percentile in the nation in English and studied creative writing in college. I studied classical languages and many such words carry over in English such as words ending in “ine”. Apine, avine, bovine, equine, lupine, etc. Use of the word xi is a favorite.

Fun stuff to pass the time when I am not building with tiger maple for some nomad I know.🤪

May 10, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #151,221 of 152,726
UP cribbage reminds us of the cool not found in Florida summer! :)......

IMG_20240510_120014398~2.jpg

......That we can't wait to get back to by end of July! Ahh, driving the Mighty Mac to St. Ignace, Mackinac Island, and the Soo!....oh and wild rice!
Michigan summers and falls are worth staying through the winters. I have a lot of people from other parts of the country ask what we do here all winter. I always tell them we just play with other toys. Instead of boats, off roading, hiking and all we ice fish, ski and snowshoe (sometimes in our cars!).

May 10, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #151,222 of 152,726
I wonder if any of you are recording engineers or could otherwise confirm what I'm hearing.
I'm not a recording engineer, but I can confirm from my own experience. Fagen is (and Becker was) a sound quality maniac. I read in an interview with Gary Katz that they used to argue about 1 db changes in a mix... and then, when Katz would go back and listen, their mix sounded better. It certainly shows in their CDs, LPs and streams. Love the band and love the fact that they will always show me what my system is capable of - and where it needs work, too. :relaxed:

May 10, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #151,223 of 152,726
I'm not a recording engineer, but I can confirm from my own experience. Fagen is (and Becker was) a sound quality maniac. I read in an interview with Gary Katz that they used to argue about 1 db changes in a mix... and then, when Katz would go back and listen, their mix sounded better. It certainly shows in their CDs, LPs and streams. Love the band and love the fact that they will always show me what my system is capable of - and where it needs work, too. :relaxed:

1 dB can make a big difference in mixing, because all relative.

May 10, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #151,224 of 152,726
And briefs, boxers, or Full Monty?
Evidently I’ve been audiophiling all wrong…!

P.S. Ought not “commando” be a fourth option?

May 10, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #151,226 of 152,726
Very nice - cribbage tables! I think David (The Cribbage Guy) may have an example on his website, but I don't remember his as being folding.

Nice hand indeed ... 24. That's my high since we now keep track. Annette had a 28 hand (once). I've been playing for 50+ years and never saw a 29 hand. That's why we keep trying. :)

Edit: I forgot ... it's not possible to make a 25, 26 nor 27 score in a cribbage hand. Jumps straight from 24 to 28. FYI, friends.
My buddy and I have been playing between 80 and 100 games a year in our setback leagues since 1981. This year he had a 28 hand and we still lost the game

Cribbage can be a brutal game when evenly matched players / teams play against each other as a lot of times it comes to the luck of a good cut for one team and a bad cut for another.

May 10, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #151,227 of 152,726
Certainly SD is a high level guide for recorded pop music (and very well done), but something like "Aja" had 64 tracks (or more), mixing, mastering, musicians playing alone in the studio, they tried what - 6 or 7 drummers - before they settled on Gadd - there is no way to be sure what the exact sound should be - but I agree that it does make for an interesting/useful comparison tool.

Still on an absolute level, give me a 3 mic 1/2 speed master or 15 ips tape of a live unamplified performance in a great Hall for the creme de la creme tool - in particular if one was present for the recording or at least at another time in the same Hall with the same artist(s)/conductor.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #151,229 of 152,726
My buddy and I have been playing between 80 and 100 games a year in our setback leagues since 1981. This year he had a 28 hand and we still lost the game

Cribbage can be a brutal game when evenly matched players / teams play against each other as a lot of times it comes to the luck of a good cut for one team and a bad cut for another.
So no 29 hands in your leagues? The odds against a 29, I'm sure, are astronomically high. The good/bad cuts and bad breaks will eventually even out in the long run.

May 10, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #151,230 of 152,726
So no 29 hands in your leagues? The odds against a 29, I'm sure, are astronomically high. The good/bad cuts and bad breaks will eventually even out in the long run.
i have played many more games than just the league games and never seen a 29. No one in any of the leagues has ever hit a 29

Which is somewhat surprising as the odds are 1 in 216,580 for a 29 and I'm sure between all the hands I have played and all the hands that I 'witnessed' in the leagues over the years the count is higher than 216,580

An interesting twist to cribbage which we did one week after the league ended was to try to lose the game

There are many variations - https://www.pagat.com/invented/crib_vars.html

My grandparents had a coffee table that was a cribbage board and growing up that was the center of every sunday afternoon at the grandparents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back