Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #151,156 of 152,711
May 9, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #151,157 of 152,711
For all you Schitty Tube Fanatics: YMMV

1715298489933.png

May 9, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #151,158 of 152,711
I have two of these in my iFi dac. Never opened it up.
The new batch of Westinghouse 12AU7's are better than the three untested ones I got...
These are all tested, and matched...had to pay $40 for 4 of them!
With HD 650s in Vali 3 they are very decent.
Amazing little amp.
Alex

Saw this:
"Yet popularity isn't an indication of what's good."
I try to eliminate popularity and price in my evaluations. I have done this a lot and can be pretty objective even if I know which tube is which but even then it is not easy to be unbiased.😉 Not knowing which is which will even the playing field.

May 9, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #151,159 of 152,711
You bought the Bendix? Is it marked CBS or GE? Double getter holder post? The GE of mine has 5670 etched into it.
So the tale continues to conclusion. The WE396A that I sent to Tom was part of a six tube purchase (I like to make things worth the while). The two 396s came in plain vanilla packages but each had the Western Electric logo. The one I sent Tom said 396A, etc., you’ve all seen the photo. The one I kept for my Vali 3 had the WE logo but was numbered JW 2C51. (As my Kyoshi Sensei I wanted him to have “The One.”) Mine still sounds pretty good to me.

The second two tubes were recommended by Dale - Raytheon “Windmill Getter.” Both tubes are 5670 labeled and carrying the Raytheon logo and sound quite fine to my old ears.

The last two of the lot are supposed to be Bendix but are labeled CBS both on the tube body and on the original box. Dale’s belief was that their internals and construction were such that they appeared to be manufactured by Bendix but branded for sale by CBS. As the lowly grasshopper I am way not able to ID tubes by their skeletal internals! They weren’t expensive as these things go, but when my adapter arrives and I start hunting for some 12AU7s to experiement with I’m going to be going to the well here to make sure I get “the good stuff.”

[All typed while sipping an Old Fashioned made with my new bottle of @sixergixer BiB Rye, listening to my new Focal Stellia’s on my portable Fiio M17. Life quite fine here in the fishing village.]

Jeepers you have to be fast on this thing. My Raytheons are labled CK5670. So class 2 on the recent list

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #151,160 of 152,711
So the tale continues to conclusion. The WE396A that I sent to Tom was part of a six tube purchase (I like to make things worth the while). The two 396s came in plain vanilla packages but each had the Western Electric logo. The one I sent Tom said 396A, etc., you’ve all seen the photo. The one I kept for my Vali 3 had the WE logo but was numbered JW 2C51. (As my Kyoshi Sensei I wanted him to have “The One.”) Mine still sounds pretty good to me.

The second two tubes were recommended by Dale - Raytheon “Windmill Getter.” Both tubes are 5670 labeled and carrying the Raytheon logo and sound quite fine to my old ears.

The last two of the lot are supposed to be Bendix but are labeled CBS both on the tube body and on the original box. Dale’s belief was that their internals and construction were such that they appeared to be manufactured by Bendix but branded for sale by CBS. As the lowly grasshopper I am way not able to ID tubes by their skeletal internals! They weren’t expensive as these things go, but when my adapter arrives and I start hunting for some 12AU7s to experiement with I’m going to be going to the well here to make sure I get “the good stuff.”

[All typed while sipping an Old Fashioned made with my new bottle of @sixergixer BiB Rye, listening to my new Focal Stellia’s on my portable Fiio M17. Life quite fine here in the fishing village.]

Jeepers you have to be fast on this thing. My Raytheons are labled CK5670. So class 2 on the recent list
I own a few 12AU7’s of course so I am fairly familiar, I am awaiting my adapter for the Vali 3. My son and a neighbor of his has a best Old Fashioned competition so I have had some good ones, he also got me into Bourbon Renewals that I like a bit better.🤪

May 9, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #151,161 of 152,711

Jeepers you have to be fast on this thing. My Raytheons are labled CK5670.s So class 2 on the recent list
That list I posted is not mine, but a person that I know and builds stuff..but this is a Schiit thread and will not post another persons stuff...
The list is a nice reference on the many types of tubes in this family and someones opinion on how they "rate" to them and their stuff"..

If anyone wants more info PM me.
Alex
:>)

May 9, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #151,162 of 152,711
That list I posted is not mine, but a person that I know and builds stuff..but this is a Schiit thread and will not post another persons stuff...
The list is a nice reference on the many types of tubes in this family and someones opinion on how they "rate" to them and their stuff"..

If anyone wants more info PM me.
Alex
:>)
I had already read the other thing you posted and I am ignoring the second so my thoughts are clear tomorrow.😉

May 9, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #151,163 of 152,711
May 9, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #151,164 of 152,711
Sounds like you were on TOPS-10? TOPS-20 had *virtual memory*; no garbage-collection required (well, technically GC was run as part of the priority interrupt level in the scheduler in tight correlation with Paging…).
Both. Address space limited to 256K words. GC reclaimed inaccessible substructures in the heap-allocated data structures of the AI languages of the day. If the heap allocated during a program run exceeded the address space, poof. GC delayed/avoided that by reclaiming the space occupied by stuff that was no longer reachable. Current languages like Java, Python, golang also rely on GC.

May 9, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #151,165 of 152,711

Regarding the Bendix, there are numerous internal construction differences between a true Bendix and the tubes I received as Bendix:

1) The getter (holder) in a Bendix is a 'bent' rectangle. The ones I got are flat.
2) The getter (holder) support in the Bendix consists of 1 rod. The ones I got have 2.
3) The Bendix has a single-piece mica both top and bottom. The ones I got have doubled-up micas both top and bottom.
4) The Bendix have openings in the short sides of the plates (you can see the filaments inside). The tubes I got have solid plates.
4) The tubes I got have either 2C51 or 5670 etched into the glass in a stencil-type font. Most Bendix 2C51's I've seen have no etching, only silkscreening. A few I've seen have 2C51 silkscreened with a 5670 that's etched, but that etching is in a totally different font and different font size. The font type used on the tubes I received is a traditional GE style font.

I'm not sure who made the tubes I got, and I'm not sure how anyone could have concluded they were Bendix based on the internal construction. They have much more in common with a GE than they do any Bendix I've ever seen.

I'll drop this now. I think enough has been posted for interested people to draw their own conclusions. And for those that may already have them, if they sound good to you then it really doesn't make any difference who made them. Enjoy them!

May 9, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #151,166 of 152,711
now that my Schiit journey has entered the Yggy phase, I need to be careful, or things could get expensive fast. So many possibilities, Lokius Max? Tyr’s? Urd?
You have a pretty nice system now, but hard to see how you'd go wrong with any of those. I'm pretty attached to some of my old gear as well, but I know it probably won't keep going forever. I do like my tyrs and urd , they have improved my system a lot.
A better DAC is my current "want". When the budget allows, I'll see what's available from schiit.
A loki max and and Kara will probably find their way here also for my 2 channel rig.

Then there is the upcoming home theater releases ,and those surprises. Guess I'd better keep saving

May 9, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #151,167 of 152,711
From their website...

"It was re-established in 1996 for the exclusive manufacture of electron tubes and high-fidelity"
AFAIK they bought the name (and some other stuff?) from the corporate descendants of the original Western Electric.

May 9, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #151,168 of 152,711
It's been a long workday since I also had a board meeting tonight. No tunes tonight-- I'm just gonna chill with the wife and flip channels between the Dallas Mavericks (basketball) and Dallas Stars (hockey) games. :wink:

And now, without further ado, tonight's Jazz recommendation...

Enjoy!

JazzReco-4.jpg

Edit: The Mavericks and Stars both won! :D

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #151,169 of 152,711
RoonShareImage-638508804278404880.png

May 9, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #151,170 of 152,711
Be vewwy vewwy careful. It appears to be a cultlike thing (in the best way, i think), but once you start, you never leave. but i will say that the beer is varied in styles and pretty darn good! Don't know if life has changed post-pandemic, but at that time we could only get mixed cases. Regardless of all the above, I hope above all that you enjoy!
I sold my soul to excellent haze a long time ago. Most of the time they are West Coast hazies but occasionally some juice from the East Coast (and other cool places) makes its way over here to the PNW. But, sadly, never Treehouse. I'd have to go to the trading scene to get those.

For what it's worth, hazy IPAs from Drowned Lands, Finback, and Other Half have been among my very favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back