Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #151,141 of 152,855
Alex I bought two from him, one is a GE, the other a CBS. Not even close on the inside to one another.🤪 They are OK tubes for the price but not the holy grail. I have been in discussion with Dale, as have others. I am sure he means well.
Yeah, unfortunately the tubes I received from him were not Bendix either. Might be very good sounding tubes, but they aren't what I ordered and thought I was getting.

Was hopeful that the Lansdale 12AU7 from Ebay that arrived today would be good. "Tests Strong" was the listing info. Neither triode gets even close to minimum value in my tester. About half past dead. Sigh. So back goes another tube.

I did really good for a while not buying tubes. I was even proud of myself. :slight_smile: But based on my recent adventures I may try it again now that I know how. 🤣

May 9, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #151,142 of 152,855
Yeah, unfortunately the tubes I received from him were not Bendix either. Might be very good sounding tubes, but they aren't what I ordered and thought I was getting.

Was hopeful that the Lansdale 12AU7 from Ebay that arrived today would be good. "Tests Strong" was the listing info. Neither triode gets even close to minimum value in my tester. About half past dead. Sigh. So back goes another tube.

I did really good for a while not buying tubes. I was even proud of myself. :slight_smile: But based on my recent adventures I may try it again now that I know how. 🤣
I try to let others buy them, test them, and send them on to me. Less aggravation that way🤪 Of course I tend to send out thank you gifts, so there’s that.

May 9, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #151,143 of 152,855
You bought the Bendix? Is it marked CBS or GE? Double getter holder post? The GE of mine has 5670 etched into it.
They may be made by Bendix, but there is nothing on the Tube or Box indicating as such. A new Westinghouse box, and the tube itself says United. Never having a Bendix, I have zero input on the quality of the tube I have vs. a "Bendix"

May 9, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #151,144 of 152,855
They may be made by Bendix, but there is nothing on the Tube or Box indicating as such. A new Westinghouse box, and the tube itself says United. Never having a Bendix, I have zero input on the quality of the tube I have vs. a "Bendix"
You can see the sought after Bendix on EBay for around $150 each. But at $25 it is not a lot to pay for a tube and I will most likely keep what I got.😉

May 9, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #151,145 of 152,855
Treehouse. I have never been there. A guy I do business with says he goes there with his wife to get beer and they both love it. Now I shall have to look into it more seriously.
Be vewwy vewwy careful. It appears to be a cultlike thing (in the best way, i think), but once you start, you never leave. but i will say that the beer is varied in styles and pretty darn good! Don't know if life has changed post-pandemic, but at that time we could only get mixed cases. Regardless of all the above, I hope above all that you enjoy!

May 9, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #151,146 of 152,855
Be vewwy vewwy careful. It appears to be a cultlike thing (in the best way, i think), but once you start, you never leave. but i will say that the beer is varied in styles and pretty darn good! Don't know if life has changed post-pandemic, but at that time we could only get mixed cases. Regardless of all the above, I hope above all that you enjoy!
A beer cult? How awesome!!! Where do I sign? 🤣 🤣

May 9, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #151,147 of 152,855
In Western MA, just South off the 84…

May 9, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #151,148 of 152,855
I will be sober as a judge. I do not touch anything till dinner at 7 pm lol, I hope to get started about 9 am, figuring warmup and testing at 1.5 hours each, lunch, I will be finished by 6:30 pm EST. Warm up will start at 8 AM so maybe as soon as 6 pm. I can still chat on here as tubes warm up, I fashioned a little perforated cover for the amp so I will not see the tubes at all.
Livestream!!
Just got the 4 new NOS Westinghouse 12AU7's... listening now.
:>)
Alex

May 9, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #151,149 of 152,855
My wife and I may try, we generally play 500 rummy each day after lunch but wins are pretty one sided in my favor. A game we can learn at the same time might help.😉
Beautiful board! My two.
1715295128613.jpeg

May 9, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #151,150 of 152,855
May 9, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #151,152 of 152,855
I just got a 5 star GE 5670/2C51 from a guy in Canada.
Will see how this holds up to the non 5 star versions
Alex
I have that, a 5670W, and a yellow tip GE. Three of my 6 are GE.

May 9, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #151,153 of 152,855

Or just quit buying tubes and bask in the shadows of the thousands in your present collection.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 9, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #151,155 of 152,855
I have two of these in my iFi dac. Never opened it up.
The new batch of Westinghouse 12AU7's are better than the three untested ones I got...
These are all tested, and matched...had to pay $40 for 4 of them!
With HD 650s in Vali 3 they are very decent.
Amazing little amp.
Alex

Saw this:
"Yet popularity isn't an indication of what's good."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back