Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 7, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #150,841 of 152,776
Lol! Remember those days too. The first hard drive I bought was IBM branded (made by Seagate I think). A whopping 10 MB (yes, as in M) and was $800 in 1983 dollars. No more swapping in 5.25" discs to boot the system every time. 🤣
I worked for Atari back in the day and my first hard drive was 6mb and cost $3,000. I also had a commercial grade VHS recorder that worked as a backup and that was another $3,000.

May 7, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #150,842 of 152,776
My first 'portable' was the size of a sewing machine and had a 300 baud modem. Pager goes off in the middle of the night, set up the portable, phone in coupler, dial up. Enter user id and password, watch 80 x24 paint, watch the next screen paint, log out, phone back on wall, drive 30 minutes to data center to triage. I can semaphore flag faster than 300 baud.

I remember getting giddy when I discovered my IBM 50 or 60? had an 8 MB D: drive since DOS only supported 32MB partitions

386 memory managers, loading drivers into hi mem

Good times, not missed at all

It still boggles my mind that Windows still does not have a 2-pane file explorer, those existed in DOS days. First app on a new pc is Altap Salamander - https://www.altap.cz/salamander/downloads/ , second app is SlickRun - https://bayden.com/slickrun/
My first portable was the original Compaq, but at least it was an XT and had a 10MB HD.

And at least Windows finally allows you to create more than one tab in Explorer so it is a little better.

May 7, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #150,844 of 152,776
Fun playlist! https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/21342418
Variable SQ, but it's really cool to hear the different artists' takes on the "classics"

1715123405274.png

May 7, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #150,845 of 152,776
Does “anal retentive” have a hyphen in it, or a colon? :gs1000smile:
I believe it depends on context :gs1000smile:, In English, go or BASIC?

P.S. I apologize for my obtuseness regarding the pun(?), double entendre(?)...

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #150,846 of 152,776
I remember in 1974 the big event at the bank where I worked was replacing three of the large tape drives with a 10Mb hard disk array. The thing was about a meter square and required its own cooling duct in our mainframe room. Ah, the days of large Burroughs mainframes (the B7700 series with actual semiconductor memory!) punch card input and programming and driving chain-impact printers with continuous perf-paper... no interest in going back.
We used to have some big disks, literally the size of a washing machine. One held all the source code.

It was unfathomably large, 200MB.

May 7, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #150,849 of 152,776
My first portable was the original Compaq, but at least it was an XT and had a 10MB HD.

And at least Windows finally allows you to create more than one tab in Explorer so it is a little better.
In the early 90s I ran a product center at the UK's indigenous computer manufacturer that developed surround products for our office automation product. Pre Windows of course.
I had a desktop computer with a built in phone and modem, email, word pro, spreadsheets, workflow, image capture and fully inverted text searches (not all were released products. I was headhunted as the first "business person" to the standards organizattion referred to in earlier posts. They (tried) to give me a Compaq luggable. "What do we use for email?" "elm" :wink:

I told 'em I was a marketing guy and needed small and simple. I got the very first Compaq notebook - about five grand IIRC - and was told it was never to be left in the car. We went on a yacht race across the channel and my briefcase was safely secured in the rear cabin. It was rough. When we got to Caen, the case had sprung open and the floor recess was perfectly sized to hold notebook - which had been nicely washed with seawater. Forty years layter, that still gets dug up..........

May 7, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #150,850 of 152,776
Can't decide whether you want to listen to Radiohead or a Jazz symphony? Well, today's your lucky day because you don't have to pick!! :D I approached this one with great trepidation when I first found it a few years ago, but it's remained a favorite of mine. Enjoy!!

Tonight's Jazz Recommendation:

JazzReco-22.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #150,851 of 152,776

I was issued the first Mac luggable as my work PC at the university in the early 90’s. I loved that little machine.

May 7, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #150,852 of 152,776
They have been around since 2012 but they may not have caught up to you by now. Hang around with me and you might learn something. :beerchug:
I wonder if blue 'maters will be more sensitive towards my acid reflux than the reds?

Red = Angry Blue = Chill

May 7, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #150,853 of 152,776
My first 'portable' was the size of a sewing machine and had a 300 baud modem. Pager goes off in the middle of the night, set up the portable, phone in coupler, dial up. Enter user id and password, watch 80 x24 paint, watch the next screen paint, log out, phone back on wall, drive 30 minutes to data center to triage. I can semaphore flag faster than 300 baud.

I remember getting giddy when I discovered my IBM 50 or 60? had an 8 MB D: drive since DOS only supported 32MB partitions

386 memory managers, loading drivers into hi mem

Good times, not missed at all

It still boggles my mind that Windows still does not have a 2-pane file explorer, those existed in DOS days. First app on a new pc is Altap Salamander - https://www.altap.cz/salamander/downloads/ , second app is SlickRun - https://bayden.com/slickrun/
Ah yes, autoexec.bat and config.sys tricks to get drivers into the space between 640k and 1024k of memory.

X-Tree Pro was my favourite file exporer
There was a Windows version, but didn't seem to be as robust as the DOS one.

Edit : I open two separate explorer windows as a workaround for dual pane

Edit 2 : First PC I bought was a 286-10, with 1024k RAM, 20MB Hard Drive and EGA Graphics. Was awesome and cost me a couple of months pay. 1200/75 modem and Compuserve was the online option :relieved:

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #150,854 of 152,776
Norton Commander was my file manager of choice back in the himem.sys days. 😁

Those were the days. Using debug to format 20 MB SCSI drives to put in IBM PCs. It was always fun entering all the bad sectors provided with the drive by the mfg.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back