Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #150,526 of 152,808
May 4, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #150,527 of 152,808
That reminds me of the opera at Santa Fe, seeing the mountains in the distance and the clouds.

Did it get very cold?
Was probably 45 by the end, a little chilly indeed

How about purple?
Can confirm, @Paladin79 purple AES sounds great
20240504_120810.jpg

Also have a red one, maybe I should A/B them 🤔

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #150,528 of 152,808
IMG_1449.jpegIMG_1451.jpegIMG_2527.jpeg

Purple is generally my first choice.

May 4, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #150,529 of 152,808
May 4, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #150,530 of 152,808
We first "met" in an AOL chat room. :)
I met my wife in a Hobbit room, reading Lord of the Rings was very big prior to the movies. It was part of a coffee house scene where musicians, artists, and a specific generation hung out. And yes Bill this was after the Beat Generation.🤪

May 4, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #150,531 of 152,808
I met my wife in a Hobbit room, reading Lord of the Rings was very big prior to the movies. It was part of a coffee house scene where musicians, artists, and a specific generation hung out. And yes Bill this was after the Beat Generation.🤪
Lots of flashback, right? those lovely and enjoyable bits and pieces ....

May 4, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #150,532 of 152,808
Are you intentionally hiding your socks now?

BTW, is that an acoustic panel you're facing or just art that looks like one?
It's a series of acoustic diffuser panels.

And no - the sock obfuscation is unintentional. 😉

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #150,533 of 152,808
Actually, below is Cowen green. I've found it sounds significantly better than the shade of green you're showing. 🤣🤣

And to think I almost chose purple before you called dibs on that color. I'd likely never know what I'd been missing. 🤣

Nuclear Green.jpg
Have you used a green CD marker to color your ears green for maximum audio enjoyment? 🤔

May 4, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #150,534 of 152,808
It is fascinating to me (as an engineer) that there are no proper standards, such that any service would be supporter by a streamer, and vice versa. Reminds me of my really old, mono, Harmon Kardon Tube Integrated (pass down from mom and dad when they first upgraded to stereo in around 1970 or so…) it had those multiple different phono equalizations beyond just RIAA, which became THE standard.

No freaking wonder Jason won’t ever do a streamer; it’s chasing the dragon’s tail apparently. How’s Qobuz for Rock (incl. progressive)?
Totally agree on having standards, I'm sure we could rant for days on that subject but it would diminish the percentage of cat and dog photos. That would be bad.

Funny you should mention prog rock, I'm just starting to poke around the old stuff myself so I can't estimate how complete the catalogue is. Newer prog seems fairly complete going by people's recommended lists, but I haven't found much that makes me sit up. The download store they have should give you a good idea. For example, this is an amazing sounding reissue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essential_Heart
But I cant find it in Qobuz. Good thing I ripped a cd. Most of that Sony/BMG The Essential series is ear candy but it is hit or miss on streaming services.

Licensing is funny stuff!

May 4, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #150,535 of 152,808
May 4, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #150,536 of 152,808
I heard some people will demagnetize, clean with special liquid before ripping a CD and only do it at the middle of the night and claim the electricity is much cleaner .........

May 4, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #150,538 of 152,808
Totally agree on having standards, I'm sure we could rant for days on that subject but it would diminish the percentage of cat and dog photos. That would be bad.

Funny you should mention prog rock, I'm just starting to poke around the old stuff myself so I can't estimate how complete the catalogue is. Newer prog seems fairly complete going by people's recommended lists, but I haven't found much that makes me sit up. The download store they have should give you a good idea. For example, this is an amazing sounding reissue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essential_Heart
But I cant find it in Qobuz. Good thing I ripped a cd. Most of that Sony/BMG The Essential series is ear candy but it is hit or miss on streaming services.

Licensing is funny stuff!
I like Heart too, and I'm happy you've discovered them. But they are not exactly prog... if you want prog, listen to Strawbs, Soft Machine, Camel, Budgie, Gentle Giant, King Crimson. Gong... even Genesis, Yes, ELP, some Kansas..... and newer stuff like Porcupine Tree or Marillion or Dream Theater. Some people insist that Rush, Pink Floyd and Tool are prog, but they don't fall into that category for me. To each his own!

May 4, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #150,539 of 152,808
It is fascinating to me (as an engineer) that there are no proper standards, such that any service would be supporter by a streamer, and vice versa. Reminds me of my really old, mono, Harmon Kardon Tube Integrated (pass down from mom and dad when they first upgraded to stereo in around 1970 or so…) it had those multiple different phono equalizations beyond just RIAA, which became THE standard.

No freaking wonder Jason won’t ever do a streamer; it’s chasing the dragon’s tail apparently. How’s Qobuz for Rock (incl. progressive)?
Qobuz is GREAT for every kind of music I've ever spun through it. From extremely well-recorded harpsichord to Run The Jewels, the sheer layered intensity of metal lords Sumac to the shimmering beauty of Julia Holter. Even really weird dungeon synth. It plays them all with aplomb. :)

May 4, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #150,540 of 152,808
Qobuz is GREAT for every kind of music I've ever spun through it. From extremely well-recorded harpsichord to Run The Jewels, the sheer layered intensity of metal lords Sumac to the shimmering beauty of Julia Holter. Even really weird dungeon synth. It plays them all with aplomb. :)

Read many positive feedback about Qubuz, sad that not available in Hongkong ... no chance to compare .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back