Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #150,196 of 152,916
Interesting article I came across this morning, and thought I'd share. While this forum is civil and kept fun, most in my experience aren't, and this article (opinion) really resonated with me.
https://www.headphonesty.com/2024/04/audiophile-snobbery-may-be-killing-our-hobby/

I left the Audiogon forum for this very reason a few months ago. As I was looking at Stereophile's AXPONA coverage this morning and adding up the system cost (several systems north of $500k and two well over a million). Throw in the snobby, obscure music, and YouTube reviewers talking about $25k components and $50k speakers like they are where "Audiophile" starts, and yeah no wonder it is turning off average people and new people. Hence a bunch of well-off, opinionated, old boomers pontificating is helping to diminish the crowd. (For reference median income in the United States is $37,585 annually). I assume many of us (myself included) do earn more than this to support our hobby - at least from the pics some of you post. But we should be welcoming of those who don't to the hobby.

That said, I commend the civility in this forum, and Schiit for producing quality Audiophile-grade stuff for less than a median-year's work. While I have a McIntosh system as well, I must admit my Schiit components are every bit as good - and I even intermingled them with Skoll providing phono-pre duty in the McIntosh system to sound even better! I have heard some of these "High-end" systems, and they are beautiful and sound good but aren't really that much better in my opinion. Though I like him in general, I disagree with Steve G saying there is no such thing as diminishing returns.

My point is if you have the money for a Bugatti and D'Agostino that's awesome! But, it doesn't mean everything else is junk just because it costs less and you get to talk down to everyone else from behind the screen. If someone enjoys their $149 Vali3, that is awesome and valid too. The more people we can encourage to get into this stuff, the more buyers there will be, the more competition, the more innovation, and the more enjoyment for us consumers. So remember - keep it civil.
Well said. I was just thinking about this the other day and came to the conclusion that this hobby is a luxury. Even the budget oriented gear in this hobby could be considered luxury items. Whether it’s $150 Vali 3 or $15,000 DAC and we are all fortunate to be able to participate in it.

May 2, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #150,197 of 152,916
I will get it out tomorrow. BTW, the record shipment this week will be delayed until next week, as my source of youthful muscle is out of town on business.
Yeah, truly sorry about that Sam, but had to take care of business. But I'll be there for sure next week. 🤣

May 2, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #150,199 of 152,916
Thank you Schiit Audio for the delivery of Yggdrasil. Powered on.

IMG_2774.jpeg
Man, the Yggy is bygg. Didn't realize the chassis was so deep.

May 2, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #150,201 of 152,916
It's the house recipe at the distillery I work at. I think it's 2 parts whiskey (rye in this case), 1 part amaro, and 1 part sweet vermouth, garnished with a twist of orange peel.
Thanks. My nearst Total Wines (with your brown goods in stock according to the web) is about 60 miles away. I’m working on an excuse to go BiB hunting. Soon.

May 2, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #150,202 of 152,916
Room vacuumed and de furred.

Like the batchelor pahty week nevah happened! Well unless you count the re-arranging!

One last CD before heading out to get wifey (a 5 hour commit unfortunately; but at least the car has the Lexus Mark Levinson 19 speaker setup - it is a 2008 I got a screaming deal on just before Covid down in Texas). Rush Hemispheres…

And yes, I am, once again, hearing things in music I know better than my tongue knows the back of my teeth. This isn’t what I’d call an audiophile recording, but Terry Brown era rush at least was well recorded.

Biz is currently in his normal spot, on my lap. Looking forwards to his freak out when he gets reunited with his “mom”.

“We shall call you Yggy, the God of DACs you shall be”
image.jpg

May 2, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #150,203 of 152,916
If I was spending more than a few thousand on speakers I'd want to shop for speakers and a particular size of room as well. Synergy there is more useful than mega dollar speaker designs in random rooms.

But really you can get a pair of good Polks (yes, they make good speakers) and a Raggy with a little dac card and you're as good as you would ever need for $2k or so.

May 2, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #150,204 of 152,916
Room vacuumed and de furred.

Like the batchelor pahty week nevah happened! Well unless you count the re-arranging!

One last CD before heading out to get wifey (a 5 hour commit unfortunately; but at least the car has the Lexus Mark Levinson 19 speaker setup - it is a 2008 I got a screaming deal on just before Covid down in Texas). Rush Hemispheres…

And yes, I am, once again, hearing things in music I know better than my tongue knows the back of my teeth. This isn’t what I’d call an audiophile recording, but Terry Brown era rush at least was well recorded.

Biz is currently in his normal spot, on my lap. Looking forwards to his freak out when he gets reunited with his “mom”.

“We shall call you Yggy, the God of DACs you shall be”
image.jpg
Duetta Sigs set up the way they should be.
Lots of space around them.

Wish I could hear 'em. Sigh.

May 2, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #150,205 of 152,916
Thank you Schiit Audio for the delivery of Yggdrasil. Powered on.
I've thinking similar thoughts for the Mjolnir 3.

Though the best value in headphone amps is the Piety, unless you prefer neutral than just the normal Magni.

May 2, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #150,206 of 152,916
Excellent, you should keep those for yourself and send me an assortment of something I might like. :ksc75smile: I am busily shopping for adapters so hurry! :beerchug:
Atomic Bob over at SBAF recommends the GE JAN 5670W for the Vali 3, and advises that WE 396A is not necessary for it.

May 2, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #150,207 of 152,916
If I was spending more than a few thousand on speakers I'd want to shop for speakers and a particular size of room as well. Synergy there is more useful than mega dollar speaker designs in random rooms.

But really you can get a pair of good Polks (yes, they make good speakers) and a Raggy with a little dac card and you're as good as you would ever need for $2k or so.
I was fortunate to hear my speakers in a private residence in a room shaped like my own. On that day I bought a Cary amp but I got to hear them with my future amp. With the addition of REL subs Sonus Fabers are fine for me. I have no thoughts of selling my house so my listening room will not change. 🤪
I should point out I bought my speaker and amp combination elsewhere.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #150,208 of 152,916
Thanks. My nearst Total Wines (with your brown goods in stock according to the web) is about 60 miles away. I’m working on an excuse to go BiB hunting. Soon.
Good hunting!

May 2, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #150,209 of 152,916
Atomic Bob over at SBAF recommends the GE JAN 5670W for the Vali 3, and advises that WE 396A is not necessary for it.
I do not know of him but I do have A GE tube on the way to try once my Vali 3 gets here. Knowing Bill’s supposed feelings for GE, I was just messing with him. 🤪 I was looking for something to try till my 12AU7 and 6SN7 adapters arrive, then I will have choices.

May 2, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #150,210 of 152,916

Users who are viewing this thread

Back