Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #148,876 of 150,427
[duplicate]

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #148,878 of 150,427
I do use highresaudio.com (based in Germany) for purchases

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/content/about

... they 'guarantee' genuine 24-bit for all their downloads
I used this site and bought a music album from them. Beforehand, I asked the support team if they guaranteed that a particular song on this album was not upconverted from MP3. Having received assurances that he was available 24/48, I checked this statement. Here is a screenshot of the spectral analysis. Do you think this is Hi-Res?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421-224713.png
    Screenshot_20240421-224713.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #148,880 of 150,427
Not really. Even in the low-density North Sonoma County, new custom construction has to go through many steps, especially if close to the coast. We own a lot adjacent to a house we own there, but just thinking about how long it would take to get a small house for visitors approved there...
i was thinking earth plates scratching ... to get things approved here in Sintra ain't easy either ... licensing headaches

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #148,881 of 150,427
I am a huge Bowie fan and have been since his earliest work. But my preference tends toward his more experimental stuff, like Scary Monsters, Low, or the later albums like Heathen. Dark Star is absolutely brilliant and poignant given that he knew he was dying. If all you know of his work is Ziggy Stardust or Let's Dance or Changes, you have not even scratched the surface.
Scary Monsters was a game changer Album for me - It opened my eyes to explore and be open minded to all music genres .

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #148,883 of 150,427
Germany liberated.
Germany Liberated.jpg
All the Trabants marching to the West. :)
I had just returned with my USAF buddy Andy from 'The live and let live ' pub in Mawson road Cambridge that night ( after conducting an exhaustive scientific study of the ales available !! ) - we sat watching the news in total disbelief - Andy - turned and said - ' the world feels a little warmer tonight ' indeed it did - poignant days , perhaps one day soon the world will feel that same glow again .

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #148,885 of 150,427
Good Morning from NC!
Had a Cuban at Mellow Mushroom as a tiling reward for the days work!!! LOL!
Very interesting take on a Cuban...but it was awesome..they call it "Havana Hogie".
Ham, pulled pork!, mustard, pickles, cheese etc...all warmed up in an oven...
Will do this again!

1713786711993.png

Ok back to tiling and thinking of @Paladin79 and those wonderful tubes!!!
Saving my $$$ for obtaining the one or ones I really like!

Alex

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #148,886 of 150,427
That looks delish!! My parents are from Cuba and I ate many a Cuban sandwich. A nice variation and especially since it appears to be on Cuban bread. :wink:

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #148,887 of 150,427
Just wanted to share a quick impression since the Oregon Spirit is your product. First, I didn't realize the Bonded bourbon was also "single barrel," which I think adds interest since different bottles should have slightly different character. (My bottle is from barrel 190328#01 by the way.) I found the nose and taste interesting with some initial rye that adds a bite that I really like but is not as aggressive as something like Knob Hill Rye that I have tried using for Manhattans, then giving way to a complex and sweeter mild wheat or some other grain (or caused by some interaction that involves chemistry beyond my understanding.) I also liked the 100-proof bonded strength as it lets you know you are sipping something substantial, unlike lower-proof commercial brands that drink like high-corn-syrup soda pop. The Oregon Spirit is a fine sipping whiskey, both neat and with a little ice, and I suspect it would make great cocktails although I hesitate to dilute it that way. :)

In contrast the Westward seems over-oaked or bottled too young. It reminds me of some Highland blends from Scotland that need more years under their belt or better blending components. The oak is so forward in this that I could hardly finish my dram, and I doubt I'll go back for more of this one.

The clear winner is the bourbon. Thank you!
Knowing @Ableza's history (all whisky, not bourbon) this is a powerful complement for Oregon Spirit. :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #148,889 of 150,427
I am a huge fan of Zevon, I remember buying his second album Excitable Boy on vinyl, I still have it. I already owned his debut album. Earlier I mentioned Walter Tevis, Werewolves of London is part of a famous scene in The Color of Money.😁
I am also a big fan of his. I saw him several times in the So Cal area. The most memorable was the first time I saw him. Opened for the Grateful Dead @ UC Santa Barbra (football field). Came out so drunk he couldn't perform. I had never see seen Dead heads boo anyone either before or after this, but they were pretty vocal for sure. He started cursing out the Dead Heads and left the stage. Never did perform. Very strange.

Sometime after this, he became sober and was the consummate professional for every live show I saw afterwards. Great talent, gone too soon.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #148,890 of 150,427
The fact there is no signal is a great clue! I want to give this more thought. Chances are no harm is being done but I suspect it is power or power supply related now. 😉
I agree. I would suspect that the capacitor coupled cathode follower is allowing DC voltage variations to appear at the preamp output, and the power amp is amplifying it. Put a DC millivolt meter at the preamp out and see [no signal] whether the preamp dc output is fluctuating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back