Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #148,831 of 151,314
Strange problem in the high stack
High-stack.jpeg

The stack has recently been upgraded to a high stack, by adding a Modius (replacing a Mobi MB OG) and a Lokius (to allow EQ and easy selection between digital and analog). This has removed one Sys for input selection and another Sys for amplifier selection from the system.
The digital chain is now CD via coax and Raspberry Pi via USB to Modius. Balanced from Modius to Lokius. Balanced from Lokius to Midgard and SE from Lokius to Valhalla 2.
The analog chain is TT to Mani (outside the image), SE from Mani to Lokius, Balanced from Lokius to Midgard and SE from Lokius to Valhalla 2.
By this I can select between digital and analogue sources with the input selector on the Lokius and use the desired amp by just plugging the headphones to one or the other.

When Lokius is in active mode everything is OK - with both inputs and both amplifiers.
When Lokius is in bypass mode using the SE input everything is OK on both amps.
When Lokius is in bypass mode, using the balanced input, the left channel is very weak and distorted on both amps.
When Lokius is in bypass mode, using the SE input, everything is OK on both amps.
When bypassing Lokius - going both balanced and SE directly from Modius to Midgard everything is OK.

So to summarize: the balanced input of Lokius has got a problem in bypass mode (with Lokius powered up).

Anyone seen this before?
Try wiggling the bypass switch gently on Lokius, when in bypass mode. Sometimes the switches need a little help when new.

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #148,832 of 151,314
There was a long, similar conversation about this behavior either here or in another thread.

Because the balanced->se behavior isn't the same in all modes of the Lokius (Nexus? Continuity?) the above observation was similarly described.

The upshot being that it's working as designed, which may not match your expectations 100%. That being said, contacting Schiit about how you need/want it to work is definitely a first step to getting where you're going.
I fully understand that there will be a level difference between balanced and SE, that is not the issue. For me the issue is that there is only a level difference and distortion in the left channel, while the right channel is fine. This is only happening when using balanced input and passthrough mode (= no EQ). I can not imagine that this should be as designed?

Thanks for the input from everyone, I will contact Shiit for their view.

Edit: the issue seems to be resolved by the “wiggling” advise from 33na3rd that came while I was writing this post.

Best regards Klaus

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #148,834 of 151,314
Keeping it to one recommendation today given the plethora of recommendations I posted yesterday.

Today's Jazz recommendation...

'Mirror Mirror' by Olli Ahvenlahti

1713728992605.png

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #148,835 of 151,314
Today was a very nice day so the wife and I got out for brunch and a stroll on our town's historical town square. Lo' and Behold a record store has opened in our little square. Decided to pop in and support the proprietor of Dead Wax Records on the day after RSD.

Snagged this and will be enjoying it later. #188 of a limited 2,950 pressings.

1000005525.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #148,836 of 151,314
Try wiggling the bypass switch gently on Lokius, when in bypass mode. Sometimes the switches need a little help when new.
I think you have got it! Some wiggling gave a definite improvement. More wiggling to do 😁

Thanks 33na3rd!

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #148,838 of 151,314
Agree, and my thanks as well. After yesterday's music discussion here, I added ten albums to my Roon library from Qobuz including two new (for me) jazz pianists. Thanks also to @earnmyturns for being on the forefront of modern jazz artistry. I also snagged the more experimental David Bowie albums suggested by @Ableza. :)
Thank you, more recently (re)issued piano jazz that I was enjoying yesterday:

RoonShareImage-638493043857495310.png
RoonShareImage-638493043641382310.png

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #148,839 of 151,314
Today was a very nice day so the wife and I got out for brunch and a stroll on our town's historical town square**** Lo' and Behold a record store has opened in our little square. Decided to pop in and support the proprietor of Dead Wax records on the day after RSD.

Snagged this and will be enjoying it later. #188 of a limited 2,950 pressings.

1000005525.jpg
**** I thought that 🫵 were the town historical 'square' 🤔🤣🤣

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #148,840 of 151,314
😒

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #148,842 of 151,314
So seeing you already have the proper adapter, have you tried the Footscray yet?
I have now - for a few hours. [I 'borrowed' one from Woo WA3 so that another break in period could be bypassed.]
IMG_7876.jpeg
IMG_7880.jpeg
Vali 3 sound is fabulous with 'Footscray'.

• [For those puzzled, this tube is the Brimar CV455 with KB/FB markings: made at the erstwhile STC Foots Cray plant in 1956. It is a 12AT7 tube.]
• Despite the 60x gain versus the 35x gain of a 5670 tube, in Vali 3 there is no signal overload, no dynamic compression, no loss of headroom. In fact, Footscray's many sonic virtues come through "loud 'n clear" without restraint.
• What are those?: extended frequency range, deeeep bass, sculpted midrange, ethereal treble .... and tremendous layering & placement of instruments / voices.
• That Vali 3 can pass through and capitalise on all this is stupefying (to me, anyway) at its price !!
• Fellow HFers, stop reading & get listening !! 👍

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #148,843 of 151,314
Now I had to order another pair to get ahead of the massive influx of orders. 😒

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #148,844 of 151,314
Just wanted to share a quick impression since the Oregon Spirit is your product. First, I didn't realize the Bonded bourbon was also "single barrel," which I think adds interest since different bottles should have slightly different character. (My bottle is from barrel 190328#01 by the way.) I found the nose and taste interesting with some initial rye that adds a bite that I really like but is not as aggressive as something like Knob Hill Rye that I have tried using for Manhattans, then giving way to a complex and sweeter mild wheat or some other grain (or caused by some interaction that involves chemistry beyond my understanding.) I also liked the 100-proof bonded strength as it lets you know you are sipping something substantial, unlike lower-proof commercial brands that drink like high-corn-syrup soda pop. The Oregon Spirit is a fine sipping whiskey, both neat and with a little ice, and I suspect it would make great cocktails although I hesitate to dilute it that way. :)

In contrast the Westward seems over-oaked or bottled too young. It reminds me of some Highland blends from Scotland that need more years under their belt or better blending components. The oak is so forward in this that I could hardly finish my dram, and I doubt I'll go back for more of this one.

The clear winner is the bourbon. Thank you!
Awesome write-up, @Ableza! I'm very glad you enjoyed it. :)

I've long felt that the single barrel aspect of our Bottled-in-Bond releases was more interesting and significant than the BiB categorization. It does yield some cool variability when our standard releases are typically very consistent across the batches.

A bit of OSD history, earlier on when the company was just getting off the ground - we're celebrating 15 years this year! - Brad the owner was quick with the idea of a Bottled-in-Bond release because it guaranteed that 100% of that bottle was milled, mashed, fermented, distilled, aged, and bottled by us and that we weren't just sourcing spirit from other distilleries. It seems to have worked, although that first BiB release was a Rye Whiskey and rye is much tougher to make than Bourbon. It's easier to get it wrong.

[ Note: Not that producers who source spirit for their products are inherently a bad thing. Plenty of very fine whiskey is created that way - the art of maturation (if the sourced spirit was un-aged) and blending come to the fore here, which I obviously appreciate a lot. As with all things crafted by Man, it can be done well or done poorly, even those who distill everything in house. ]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back